Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 PM
"Sadik AYTAC"

Default set up a root password

During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user I've set up does not have admin privilages..* How do I get the root?

Maybe there is a page with info for newbees?

Old 08-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Pastor JW

On Monday 04 August 2008 02:15:56 pm Sadik AYTAC wrote:
> During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user I've
> set up does not have admin privilages..

Yes it does!

> How do I get the root?

You don't usually!

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-04-2008, 09:30 PM
John Heinen

Sadik AYTAC wrote:
> During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user
> I've set up does not have admin privilages.. How do I get the root?
>
> Maybe there is a page with info for newbees?
Reinstall, I can see no other way. John H

Old 08-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Billie Walsh

On 08/04/2008 Sadik AYTAC wrote:
> During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user
> I've set up does not have admin privilages.. How do I get the root?
>
> Maybe there is a page with info for newbees?

Simple explanation -

For anything that requires root access in a graphical interface a box
will pop up and you use your regular password.

In terminal use "sudo"

Old 08-04-2008, 09:43 PM
Pastor JW

On Monday 04 August 2008 02:30:36 pm John Heinen wrote:
> Sadik AYTAC wrote:
> > During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user
> > I've set up does not have admin privilages.. How do I get the root?
> >
> > Maybe there is a page with info for newbees?
>
> Reinstall, I can see no other way. John H

Since the root password account is locked by default, will he not be in
exactly the same place he is now? No-one installing Ubuntu or Kubuntu 8.04
is ever asked to set up a root password, the intallation does not require it.
Check the page I suggested in my first post.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Paul Lemmons

During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user
I've set up does not have admin privilages.. How do I get the root?

Maybe there is a page with info for newbees?

Reinstall, I can see no other way. John H

You really otta smiley that comment so the OP does not think you are
serious. You aren't serious, are you? :-)

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 AM
Gordon Schulz

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:15, Sadik AYTAC <osaytac@gmail.com> wrote:

> During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user I've
> set up does not have admin privilages.. How do I get the root?
What others already said... But if you are like me and don't like the whole
sudo thing - 'sudo passwd' will allow you to set a seperate root
password.
--
Gordon.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 AM
"Ulrich Grn"

2008/8/5 Gordon Schulz <gordon.schulz@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 00:15, Sadik AYTAC <osaytac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> During install I was not asked to set up a root password and the user I've
>> set up does not have admin privilages.. How do I get the root?
> What others already said... But if you are like me and don't like the whole
> sudo thing - 'sudo passwd' will allow you to set a seperate root
> password.

But then you still need to use sudo, since every application that
needs root-privileges, will ask for your sudo passwd.
This behaviour could probably be changed as well, but I don't know how.

--
Greetings,
Ulrich

. " To faith only the holy is true, to knowledge only the true is holy "
. (L. Feuerbach)

`,,`,,`,,`, ,`,,`,,`
de.geocities.com/india_ulrich/

Old 08-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Gordon Schulz

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 10:05, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Ulrich_Gr=FCn_ <ulrich.gruen@gmail.com> wrote:

> > What others already said... But if you are like me and don't like the whole
> > sudo thing - 'sudo passwd' will allow you to set a seperate root
> > password.
>
> But then you still need to use sudo, since every application that
> needs root-privileges, will ask for your sudo passwd.
> This behaviour could probably be changed as well, but I don't know how.
Invoking GUI-Stuff from say within KDE's controlcenter - sure. I'm pretty
used to doing my root-involved stuff from a terminal after issueing an
'su -' though.
--
Gordon.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Girard Henri

>From time to time this question is asked !
It should be better to write it down on kubuntu or ubuntu doc
I think it's somewhere anyhow because i found it one day
x...buntu family use sudo with an user at installation
I don't like it though i am using it for few years now
i like to decide myself what i have to do... open mind !!
then you use sudo and you are ask for your password !
if you want to create a root passwd and work as root
do this :
but if you break your linux one day don't complain lol
in a shell :
sudo passwd root
and you are asked for your password and an unix one
then you should get "ok"
su root and password and you become root
to install it in gdm or kdm go to /etc/gdm or kdm .conf
and change allowrootlogin=false to true
save and restart the manager
/etc/init.d/gdm or kdm restart
then you should be able to work as root
often it doesn't work so well
for kdm_kde4 you have to find it in /usr/lib/kde4/apps/kdm.conf
but i am not sure where exactly it is as i don't use it .. it's crap on
my computer !
on ubuntu i use gdm and installed kde4.1 after from ppa..
wish you good enjoying

Le mardi 05 aot 2008 10:05 +0200, Ulrich Grn a crit :