Old 11-20-2007, 03:05 PM
"N.F."

Default problems with locales

Hi there,

since updating the tzdata package this morning
(which failed) I cannot fix the locale vars on my Gutsy.
as you can see:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "it_IT",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...
dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
tzdata

Anybody experienced the same problem ?
Any solution ?

thanks

Nico

Old 11-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Thilo Six

N.F. wrote the following on 20.11.2007 17:05
> Hi there,
>
> since updating the tzdata package this morning
> (which failed) I cannot fix the locale vars on my Gutsy.
> as you can see:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = "it_IT",
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...
> dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
> tzdata
>

> Anybody experienced the same problem ?

no

> Any solution ?

try:
$ sudo locale-gen --purge

> thanks
>
> Nico

bye
--
Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Alexander Smirnov

N.F. wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> since updating the tzdata package this morning
> (which failed) I cannot fix the locale vars on my Gutsy.
> as you can see:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> LANGUAGE = "it_IT",
> LC_ALL = (unset),
> LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
> are supported and installed on your system.
> locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> directory
> locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
> Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...
> dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
> tzdata
>

> Anybody experienced the same problem ?
> Any solution ?
>

> thanks
>
> Nico
i'm not sure, but you can try to recompile the locale
>sudo locale-gen it_IT.UTF-8
and then try install tzdata again

another workaround is to set locale variable to en_US.utf8 for apt

Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 AM
"N.F."

Received from / Ricevuta da: Alexander Smirnov* [11/21/07 09:00]:

N.F. wrote:

Hi there,

since updating the tzdata package this morning
(which failed) I cannot fix the locale vars on my Gutsy.
as you can see:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
LANGUAGE = "it_IT",
LC_ALL = (unset),
LANG = "it_IT.UTF-8"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...
dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
tzdata

Anybody experienced the same problem ?
Any solution ?

thanks

Nico

i'm not sure, but you can try to recompile the locale
>sudo locale-gen it_IT.UTF-8
and then try install tzdata again

another workaround is to set locale variable to en_US.utf8 for apt
>LANG=en_US.UTF-8 apt-get install --reinstall tzdata

it did not work

it seems it's a bug related to an nonexistent time zone:

$ DEBCONF_DEBUG=developer sudo dpkg --configure tzdata

Setting up tzdata (2007i-0ubuntu0.7.10) ...

debconf (developer): frontend started

debconf (developer): frontend running, package name is tzdata

debconf (developer): starting /var/lib/dpkg/info/tzdata.config configure

debconf (developer): <-- VERSION 2.0

debconf (developer): --> 0 2.0

debconf (developer): <-- CAPB backup

debconf (developer): --> 0 multiselect escape backup

debconf (developer): <-- SET tzdata/Areas

debconf (developer): --> 0 value set

debconf (developer): <-- SET tzdata/Zones/

debconf (developer): --> 10 tzdata/Zones/ doesn't exist

dpkg: error processing tzdata (--configure):

*subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10

*tzdata

also found these related pages but no fix is working:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/tzdata/+bug/125349