Old 07-31-2008, 02:27 PM

Default interaction of kde3 and kde4 configurations

After installing kde4.1 on kubuntu 8.04 that had kde 3.5.9 already installed I lost sound under 3.5.9. (My guess is that this occurred after the first time I launched 4.1.) After much searching I discovered that the problem lay in kde4.1 kmix. Apparently it is muted by default on installation (no idea why) and even though 3.5.9 kmix is not muted, there is no sound in any environment. After unmuting in 4.1, sound was restored.

This leads to my real question/problem.

I also noticed that after 4.1 was installed, session management on 3.5.9 is flaky. Windows don't appear on the correct desktop and sometimes are in the wrong position as well. I checked to make sure that session management is enabled in both 3.5.9 and 4.1.

Has anyone else seen this windowing behavior? Is there a solution?

Paul