Old 07-30-2008, 10:57 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default separate instances of Thunderbird or Kmail

I have a feeling this might have been discussed before but here goes:
I run both Kontact/Kmail and Thunderbird as mail clients, the reason
being that I use Kontact for all my business and also personal emailing.

Thunderbird I use for mailing-lists such as this. For me this works
better than "disturbing" my business with loads of mail that might or
might not be interesting to what I am doing at the moment. It is also a
support-issue, I have users that use one or the other.

So far so good. Now I have joined a mailinglist that has got to do with
trading mainly (bartering you might say) and I get flooded with mails
where maybe 1 of 10 is interesting. I dont want to go webmail for it
since I want to save the interesting ones and not always have to be
online when I go through downloaded mails.

So I am looking for a way to run a second instance of Thunderbird or
Kmail that is totally separate and "unaware" of the "main" ones. I did
install Clawmail and I dont like it one bit but am using it
nevertheless. I tried Mailody but it does not seem to store retrieved
mails offline so is useless to me.

Anyone has ideas of how to achieve this. And please do not suggest Mutt
or other cli - clients, I am far too gui-oriented.

Regards,
Sinclair

Old 07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Chris Jones

> So I am looking for a way to run a second instance of Thunderbird or
> Kmail that is totally separate and "unaware" of the "main" ones. I did
> install Clawmail and I dont like it one bit but am using it
> nevertheless. I tried Mailody but it does not seem to store retrieved
> mails offline so is useless to me.
>
> Anyone has ideas of how to achieve this. And please do not suggest Mutt
> or other cli - clients, I am far too gui-oriented.

Hmm. Why not instead of trying to run multiple instances of the same
application with different settings, which I suspect is not easy,
instead filter your email into different folders. In this way you can
simply filter all email from your mailing lists into different folders,
and thus not clog up your main inbox.

Just click on tools -> message filters in TB

cheers Chris

Old 07-30-2008, 11:35 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Chris Jones wrote:
>> So I am looking for a way to run a second instance of Thunderbird or
>> Kmail that is totally separate and "unaware" of the "main" ones. I did
>> install Clawmail and I dont like it one bit but am using it
>> nevertheless. I tried Mailody but it does not seem to store retrieved
>> mails offline so is useless to me.
>>
>> Anyone has ideas of how to achieve this. And please do not suggest Mutt
>> or other cli - clients, I am far too gui-oriented.
>
> Hmm. Why not instead of trying to run multiple instances of the same
> application with different settings, which I suspect is not easy,
> instead filter your email into different folders. In this way you can
> simply filter all email from your mailing lists into different folders,
> and thus not clog up your main inbox.
>
> Just click on tools -> message filters in TB

Thanks, that can easily be done in both Kontact and TB. Problem is
hundreds of mail, sometimes from dial-up, and I get hooked reading them
- cause that is how I am... so it is more ME than the mailclients that
is not able to filter ;-)

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Alvin

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 13:59:38 Gordon Schulz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:57, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > So I am looking for a way to run a second instance of Thunderbird or
> > Kmail that is totally separate and "unaware" of the "main" ones.
>
> [...]
>
> Am I missing an obvious point here or isn't that easily done changing
> Profiles in Thunderbird and/or KMail?

I think it's a bit more. He wants to run different profiles at the same time.
Take a look at the following link:
[http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments_-_Thunderbird]

Apparently it can be done with -profile "path"
There's also an explanation of why you shouldn't run multiple copies of
Thunderbird with the same profile and how you can do it anyway.

--
Alvin

Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Gordon Schulz

Old 07-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Chris Jones

> Thanks, that can easily be done in both Kontact and TB. Problem is
> hundreds of mail, sometimes from dial-up, and I get hooked reading them
> - cause that is how I am... so it is more ME than the mailclients that
> is not able to filter ;-)

I see

In which case you could set up your list accounts to not be downloaded
automatically, only when you explicitly request them. Would that be
enough to prevent you getting sucked in to reading them ?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:03 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Gordon Schulz wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:57, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> So I am looking for a way to run a second instance of Thunderbird or
>> Kmail that is totally separate and "unaware" of the "main" ones.
> [...]
>
> Am I missing an obvious point here or isn't that easily done changing
> Profiles in Thunderbird and/or KMail?
it is likely me who is unaware of the option - how do you do that?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Old 07-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:57, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:

> I think it's a bit more. He wants to run different profiles at the same time.
> Take a look at the following link:
> [http://kb.mozillazine.org/Command_line_arguments_-_Thunderbird]
>
> Apparently it can be done with -profile "path"
> There's also an explanation of why you shouldn't run multiple copies of
> Thunderbird with the same profile and how you can do it anyway.
Oh, missed that. Well... *cough* mutt with different .muttrcs *cough*
--
Gordon.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:09, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Am I missing an obvious point here or isn't that easily done changing
> > Profiles in Thunderbird and/or KMail?
> it is likely me who is unaware of the option - how do you do that?
For the Mozilla family:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

For KMail it should be under Settings/Configure Profiles. Got no
experience with KMail though.
--
Gordon.