-   -   KDE 4.1 kde-look widgets/plasmoids (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/134010-kde-4-1-kde-look-widgets-plasmoids.html)

Paul Lemmons 07-29-2008 10:28 PM

KDE 4.1 kde-look widgets/plasmoids

I am poking at KDE4.1 and trying to locate the things most dear to me
from kde 3.5. One of those things is the QuickLaunch panel. I found what
looks to be a replacement on the kde-look site.

I got to the kde-look site by clicking on the "Install New Widgets" at
the bottom of the "Add Widgets" dialog. However, when I installed the
desired widget it failed to show up in the "Add Widgets" dialog. I tried
several widgets and all behave the same way. When I go back to the
"Install New Widgets" dialog I can see that my selections are installed.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there some voodoo you must dootoo the
Add Widget dialog to get the new widgets to show up in the list?

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look
around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe

"Leticia Hernández" 07-30-2008 07:59 AM

2008/7/30 Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name>:
> I got to the kde-look site by clicking on the "Install New Widgets" at
> the bottom of the "Add Widgets" dialog. However, when I installed the
> desired widget it failed to show up in the "Add Widgets" dialog. I tried
> several widgets and all behave the same way. When I go back to the
> "Install New Widgets" dialog I can see that my selections are installed.
>
> Am I missing something obvious? Is there some voodoo you must dootoo the
> Add Widget dialog to get the new widgets to show up in the list?

Hi Paul,

To install new widgets/plasmoids you will have to compile them from
source or wait until someone packages them. The "Install New Widgets"
screen is a work in progress, and IIRC you can only install Apple
Dashboard widgets or Superkaramba applets from it at the moment.

--
Leticia Hernández

Gordon Schulz 07-30-2008 08:10 AM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 15:28, Paul Lemmons <paul@lemmons.name> wrote:

> I am poking at KDE4.1 and trying to locate the things most dear to me
> from kde 3.5. One of those things is the QuickLaunch panel. I found what
> looks to be a replacement on the kde-look site.
>
> I got to the kde-look site by clicking on the "Install New Widgets" at
> the bottom of the "Add Widgets" dialog. However, when I installed the
> desired widget it failed to show up in the "Add Widgets" dialog.

Had the same issues. What seems to be the problem is that most widgets
on kde-look.org are compiled against 4.0.x versions of libplasma - so
until it catches up compiling yourself seems to be the only way for now.
At least that worked for me like a charm.
--
Gordon.

Paul Lemmons 07-30-2008 09:52 PM

KDE 4.1 kde-look widgets/plasmoids

Thanks to all that replied! I will just be patient and wait fro the
kde-look site to catch up or compile those that are near and dear to me.