Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Q: 4.1 and non-interference with 3.5.9?

I have vaguely been following the various discussions here about KDE 4.x.
Now that 4.1 has been released, I'm awfully tempted to try it for myself.
But I don't want to risk losing ANYTHING from my 3.5.9 installation.

At this point, does it appear to be completely safe to install 4.1 as
described at http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1? That is, if I install
this, will I definitely be able to revert to my fully-functional 3.5.9
exactly as it is now?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-30-2008, 02:13 AM

So here's my take after playing around with beta, rc1 and today, the final release...

Your data is probably completely safe. I would say less about your configuration, but that can probably be managed by making a backup of ~/.kde before playing around with kde4.

The biggest problem I've run into is that if I use the classic K menu in 4.1, when it crashes (which it is still prone to do), it will mess up the K menu in 3.5.9 for that user.

To go a bit OT...The other thing I have noticed is that a number of system tray applets (smb4k, knetload, networkmanager, guidance-power-manager) will only load to the 4.1 tray if 3.5.9 is running (run 4.1 as the same user under a different X session). These do not load if 3.5.9 isn't running.

I agree with the initial reviews that 4.1 is more than usable, but it still isn't at the level of 3.5.9 and the small speed increase is not a sufficiently compelling reason to switch.

Paul
From: "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com>

From: "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans@gmail.com>

Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
"D. R. Evans"

pkaplan1@comcast.net said the following at 07/29/2008 08:13 PM :
> So here's my take after playing around with beta, rc1 and today, the
> final release...
>
> Your data is probably completely safe. I would say less about your
> configuration, but that can probably be managed by making a backup of
> ~/.kde before playing around with kde4.
>
> The biggest problem I've run into is that if I use the classic K menu in
> 4.1, when it crashes (which it is still prone to do), it will mess up
> the K menu in 3.5.9 for that user.
>
> To go a bit OT...The other thing I have noticed is that a number of
> system tray applets (smb4k, knetload, networkmanager,
> guidance-power-manager) will only load to the 4.1 tray if 3.5.9 is
> running (run 4.1 as the same user under a different X session). These
> do not load if 3.5.9 isn't running.
>
> I agree with the initial reviews that 4.1 is more than usable, but it
> still isn't at the level of 3.5.9 and the small speed increase is not a
> sufficiently compelling reason to switch.

Thank you very much for that useful set of comments. Even though I'm
rapidly reaching the point where the itch to try KDE 4.x is demanding to be
scratched, I think your comments have convinced me to wait, perhaps until
Kubuntu 8.10.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR