-   -   KDE 4.1 (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/133517-kde-4-1-a.html)

Alain Muls 07-29-2008 07:34 AM

KDE 4.1

Hi kubuntu-users

From time to time, in the evening, I try out the KDE4.1 on Hardy Heron
for which I have a separate partition set up. I find the look and feel
(mostly) very nice and the KDE applications respond faster (eg. startup
time) than in the v3.5 versions I daily use.

However, the 4.1 version is by far not as stable as I wanted and does
not perform the stuff promised in reviews of this new version.

I find that Konqueror web browsing runs fast and smooth except that it
crashes quite often.
Also the new panel crashes and I loose the window decorations quite
often. I do not know which command to run to restart these items.
I also tried the new kword and kspread, good startup speeds, very nice
looking, but stability is not there.
I also tried to convert the mail from thunderbird to kontact but this
failed, the kmail component could not read it when I pointed it to the
converted ~/Mail/Mozilla file.

Does anybody else experience the same kind of problems.
When will kde v4 be ready for daily desktop use?

Bye/Alain

Knapp 07-29-2008 10:29 AM

KDE 4.1

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi kubuntu-users
>
> From time to time, in the evening, I try out the KDE4.1 on Hardy Heron for
> which I have a separate partition set up. I find the look and feel (mostly)
> very nice and the KDE applications respond faster (eg. startup time) than in
> the v3.5 versions I daily use.
>
> However, the 4.1 version is by far not as stable as I wanted and does not
> perform the stuff promised in reviews of this new version.
>
> I find that Konqueror web browsing runs fast and smooth except that it
> crashes quite often.
> Also the new panel crashes and I loose the window decorations quite often. I
> do not know which command to run to restart these items.
> I also tried the new kword and kspread, good startup speeds, very nice
> looking, but stability is not there.
> I also tried to convert the mail from thunderbird to kontact but this
> failed, the kmail component could not read it when I pointed it to the
> converted ~/Mail/Mozilla file.
>
> Does anybody else experience the same kind of problems.
> When will kde v4 be ready for daily desktop use?
>
> Bye/Alain

This is open source software. I is ready when you find it read. Also
the errors will get fixed after someone like you finds them and
reports them and then someone else fixes them. If a 1000 people did
each task it would be ready in the morning.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Alvin 07-29-2008 02:06 PM

KDE 4.1

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 12:29:40 Knapp wrote:

> This is open source software. I is ready when you find it read. Also
> the errors will get fixed after someone like you finds them and
> reports them and then someone else fixes them. If a 1000 people did
> each task it would be ready in the morning.

A quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1rc1 :

"There will be many bugs with this release and it is recommended that you do
not file bug reports against the packages in this release."

I currently work with KDE 4.1rc1 and there are indeed a lot of bugs in this
release. However, the possibilities look promising. Tomorrow, the final version
4.1 is expected and most of the bugs will probably still be there. I think we
may file some bugs against those packages.

--
Alvin

"Willy Hamra" 07-29-2008 02:52 PM

KDE 4.1

2008/7/29 Alvin <info@alvin.be>

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 12:29:40 Knapp wrote:

> This is open source software. I is ready when you find it read. Also

> the errors will get fixed after someone like you finds them and

> reports them and then someone else fixes them. If a 1000 people did

> each task it would be ready in the morning.

A quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1rc1 :

"There will be many bugs with this release and it is recommended that you do

not file bug reports against the packages in this release."

I currently work with KDE 4.1rc1 and there are indeed a lot of bugs in this

release. However, the possibilities look promising. Tomorrow, the final version

4.1 is expected and most of the bugs will probably still be there. I think we

may file some bugs against those packages.

a question, why are we recommended to NOT file bug reports? what good will that bring them? or are they aready aware of the bugs, and afraid to be overloaded with bug reports?
--

Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

"Richard S. Crawford" 07-29-2008 03:42 PM

KDE 4.1

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 00:34:47 Alain Muls wrote:
> Does anybody else experience the same kind of problems.
> When will kde v4 be ready for daily desktop use?

I also prod at 4.1 occasionally. I agree that it's gorgeous and fast, and
definitely takes the KDE environment in exciting new directions.

I've stuck with KDE 3.5.x, though, for a couple of reasons. First, I'm lazy. I
don't fancy the idea of migrating all of my data from 3.5 to 4.1, and taking
the time to set up my desktop the way I like it.

Second, I haven't yet seen any "OMGIMUSTHAVEITNOW!" features in 4.1 that would
really convince me to migrate. KDE 3.5.x does everything I need, far more
successfully than any other desktop environment I've used (not a slam against
GNOME or any other environment, just a statement about how my own needs are
met). Plus, with Compiz/Fusion/whatever installed I can spend hours just
playing with pretty widgets.

As I understand it, KDE 4 is meant to be a development platform around which a
newer, better desktop environment will be built, and not a complete
environment itself, so it will take some time before KDE 4.x is as feature
complete as 3.5.x is. And since the KDE group will continue development on
the 3.5 series for now (3.5.10 is due out later this summer), and since I'm
just a programmer or developer, I simply have no need to make the switch for
now.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

"p.daniels" 07-29-2008 03:44 PM

KDE 4.1

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 17:52 +0300, Willy Hamra wrote:

> A quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1rc1 :
>
> "There will be many bugs with this release and it is
> recommended that you do
> not file bug reports against the packages in this release."
>
> I currently work with KDE 4.1rc1 and there are indeed a lot of
> bugs in this
> release. However, the possibilities look promising. Tomorrow,
> the final version
> 4.1 is expected and most of the bugs will probably still be
> there. I think we
> may file some bugs against those packages.
>
> a question, why are we recommended to NOT file bug reports? what good
> will that bring them? or are they aready aware of the bugs, and afraid
> to be overloaded with bug reports?

Disclaimer: IANAKDEDev

The Kubuntu packages are, as I understand it, development snapshots so
there isn't much of use to give upstream. By the time you've finished
downloading the update, their code has already changed. Bug reporting
will re-commence with the 4.1 release.

-p.daniels

"p.daniels" 07-29-2008 04:23 PM

KDE 4.1

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 08:42 -0700, Richard S. Crawford wrote:
> I also prod at 4.1 occasionally. I agree that it's gorgeous and fast, and
> definitely takes the KDE environment in exciting new directions.
>
> I've stuck with KDE 3.5.x, though, for a couple of reasons. First, I'm lazy. I
> don't fancy the idea of migrating all of my data from 3.5 to 4.1, and taking
> the time to set up my desktop the way I like it.
>
> Second, I haven't yet seen any "OMGIMUSTHAVEITNOW!" features in 4.1 that would
> really convince me to migrate. KDE 3.5.x does everything I need, far more
> successfully than any other desktop environment I've used (not a slam against
> GNOME or any other environment, just a statement about how my own needs are
> met). Plus, with Compiz/Fusion/whatever installed I can spend hours just
> playing with pretty widgets.
>
> As I understand it, KDE 4 is meant to be a development platform around which a
> newer, better desktop environment will be built, and not a complete
> environment itself, so it will take some time before KDE 4.x is as feature
> complete as 3.5.x is. And since the KDE group will continue development on
> the 3.5 series for now (3.5.10 is due out later this summer), and since I'm
> just a programmer or developer, I simply have no need to make the switch for
> now.

I'll chime in here, I guess. I've been on KDE 4 fulltime on my desktop
since 4.0.0 hit the repositories (I initially tried to install it
alongside KDE 3, but it screwed up my settings and menus so bad that I
just carpet-bombed it and started over). As we've all seen it is kind of
a mixed bag, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives.

Kwin's built-in compositing, while not as full-featured as Compiz
(although that's changing quickly) beats the pants off it in terms of
performance. I tried Compiz on my desktop (Pentium D, 1 GB RAM) and it
wasn't unacceptably slow, but Kwin is noticeably faster. Crashy, though.

KOffice vs. OpenOffice, ditto. So much faster it's ridiculous, but
crashes at the drop of a hat. So far for me, the outstanding application
is Okular, the new document viewer.[1]

But the really exciting stuff is happening in the frameworks like Plasma
and Phonon. Phonon's a cool idea, what they're trying to do is take all
the multimedia backends and make a single API for developers to use.
What this means in practice is that you don't need seventy-eleven
different media plugins for Konqueror, or whole different libraries for
Dragon Player. Phonon will handle it all as long as the backends are in
place.

Again, I'm not a developer, but to me, it's cool getting to watch this
stuff come together in real-time. Yes, sometimes I'm swearing at my
computer, but not nearly as often as I was when 4.0.0 first hit the
street. It's mostly little stuff now like the widgets not always saving
themselves on logout or the the screen always coming up at 1024x800 on
boot. Small price to pay to watch the future happen.

best wishes
p.daniels

1: http://introducingkde4.blogspot.com/2007/12/okular.html

Knapp 07-29-2008 09:02 PM

KDE 4.1

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 12:29:40 Knapp wrote:
>
>> This is open source software. I is ready when you find it read. Also
>> the errors will get fixed after someone like you finds them and
>> reports them and then someone else fixes them. If a 1000 people did
>> each task it would be ready in the morning.
>
> A quote from http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-4.1rc1 :
>
> "There will be many bugs with this release and it is recommended that you do
> not file bug reports against the packages in this release."
>
> I currently work with KDE 4.1rc1 and there are indeed a lot of bugs in this
> release. However, the possibilities look promising. Tomorrow, the final version
> 4.1 is expected and most of the bugs will probably still be there. I think we
> may file some bugs against those packages.
>
> --
> Alvin

So what in the world is the reason for releasing KDE 4 with all those
bugs? I can understand it, if you are looking to find more bugs with a
larger group of people running it. To release buggy software without
wanting to know about the bugs just sounds dumb to me. It makes you
look bad and for what? Why do it???

--
Douglas E Knapp

"p.daniels" 07-29-2008 10:13 PM

KDE 4.1

On Tue, 2008-07-29 at 23:02 +0200, Knapp wrote:
> So what in the world is the reason for releasing KDE 4 with all those
> bugs? I can understand it, if you are looking to find more bugs with a
> larger group of people running it. To release buggy software without
> wanting to know about the bugs just sounds dumb to me. It makes you
> look bad and for what? Why do it???

I think you misunderstand. It's not the KDE development team that is
requesting that you not submit bugs, it's the Ubuntu packaging team. And
the reason, as I stated in my previous reply to this thread, is that bug
reports on the packages simply wouldn't be helpful at this stage in
development. Now that 4.1 is stable, I assume this will change.

-p.daniels

"Myriam Schweingruber" 07-31-2008 09:00 PM

KDE 4.1

Hi Alain, hi all,

On 29/07/2008, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:
> Hi kubuntu-users
>
> From time to time, in the evening, I try out the KDE4.1 on Hardy Heron for
> which I have a separate partition set up. I find the look and feel (mostly)
> very nice and the KDE applications respond faster (eg. startup time) than in
> the v3.5 versions I daily use.
>
> However, the 4.1 version is by far not as stable as I wanted and does not
> perform the stuff promised in reviews of this new version.

We are back on the same subject again as it seems :) KDE 4.0 was a
release for developers only, so it was probably too buggy for the
average user, but if someone wants to try it he should not complain...
but file bugs and help to make it better.

As of KDE 4.1, this release is meant for experienced users who are not
afraid of occasional glitches, bugs and sometimes even freezes and
crashes in the various packages. As KDE 4.1 comes with a lot of
software in various development stages, one should not expect flawless
runs for quite a few of them.

So if you expect a stable and flawless system, you should definitely
NOT run KDE 4.1. If you decide to give it a try, of course it would be
nice to report the occasional bugs you run across, but this list is
definitely not the right platform for that, you should use
http://bugs.kde.org instead.

Now if you base your expectations on promises made by reviewers, you
should be aware that these can vary depending on platform,
distribution and even moment of the day, as there is quite some
development going on, minute by minute.

A better source for what to expect with KDE 4.1 is the official
release note from kde here: http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/ and
the very fine page in the KDE techbase here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Is_KDE_4.1_for_you%3F. Read also
this blog entry here:
http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/kde-41-a-kde-that-suits-you/,
on the same subject.

I would also suggest you read http://planetkde.org on a regular basis
to follow what's going on in the KDE world, especially regarding
progress of KDE 4.x.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org