Old 08-02-2008, 06:20 AM
"rusty beukes"

Default KDE 4.1

Myriam, thanx for the info you provided - it makes it easier for me to get behind all the data around
Rusty

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:00 PM, Myriam Schweingruber <schweingruber@pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:

Hi Alain, hi all,

On 29/07/2008, Alain Muls <alain.muls@telenet.be> wrote:

> Hi kubuntu-users

> *From time to time, in the evening, I try out the KDE4.1 on Hardy Heron for

> which I have a separate partition set up. I find the look and feel (mostly)

> very nice and the KDE applications respond faster (eg. startup time) than in

> the v3.5 versions I daily use.

> *However, the 4.1 version is by far not as stable as I wanted and does not

> perform the stuff promised in reviews of this new version.

We are back on the same subject again as it seems KDE 4.0 was a

release for developers only, so it was probably too buggy for the

average user, but if someone wants to try it he should not complain...

but file bugs and help to make it better.

As of KDE 4.1, this release is meant for experienced users who are not

afraid of occasional glitches, bugs and sometimes even freezes and

crashes in the various packages. As KDE 4.1 comes with a lot of

software in various development stages, one should not expect flawless

runs for quite a few of them.

So if you expect a stable and flawless system, you should definitely

NOT run KDE 4.1. If you decide to give it a try, of course it would be

nice to report the occasional bugs you run across, but this list is

definitely not the right platform for that, you should use

http://bugs.kde.org instead.

Now if you base your expectations on promises made by reviewers, you

should be aware that these can vary depending on platform,

distribution and even moment of the day, as there is quite some

development going on, minute by minute.

A better source for what to expect with KDE 4.1 is the official

release note from kde here: http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/ and

the very fine page in the KDE techbase here:

http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/Is_KDE_4.1_for_you%3F. Read also

this blog entry here:

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/07/29/kde-41-a-kde-that-suits-you/,

on the same subject.

I would also suggest you read http://planetkde.org on a regular basis

to follow what's going on in the KDE world, especially regarding

progress of KDE 4.x.

Greets

Myriam

--

Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Philip Webb

080828 Roy Wright wrote:
> if I understand correctly, then main reason for Qt 4 is
> that KDE apps sb able to run on other OSes, eg Windoze.

Yes, that's good ! -- the way to get M$ofties to use free software is
to offer them our desktops & apps, st the Windows OS gets orphaned.

> I tried Dolphin on a Kubuntu system,
> IMO it is a giant step backwards from Konqueror, eg no fish:// .

Krusader is very good for using Ssh on a remote machine.
Its devs are planning a 2.0 to match KDE 4.x .

> Also from what I gather KDE 4.1 is another developer release
> with 4.2 target as the first user (usable?) release.

The KDE devs have been very apologetic re not warning enough for 4.0 .
IIRC 4.2 is predicted for early 2009 & should have more functions restored.

> the nvidia binary drivers still have major performance issues with KDE4.
> This is a show stopper for me.

Me too.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb