Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Larry Hartman

Default ATI, FGLRX,s-video, VGA-out

My fglrx driver, installed with 8.04 produces horrible b/w swiggly lines on
the s-video and no output on VGA-out, although it recognizes the tv or
monitor that is plugged in to either port.

The latest fglrx driver produces b/w picture on s-video...slight inprovement.
I am trying to use my laptop for presentation in a few weeks. Obviously this
arrangement is less than suitable. Does anyone have any suggestions?

HP dv8000 with ATI X200M.

Larry

Old 07-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Larry Hartman

On Monday 28 July 2008 05:02:03 pm Larry Hartman wrote:
> My fglrx driver, installed with 8.04 produces horrible b/w swiggly lines on
> the s-video and no output on VGA-out, although it recognizes the tv or
> monitor that is plugged in to either port.
>
> The latest fglrx driver produces b/w picture on s-video...slight
> inprovement. I am trying to use my laptop for presentation in a few weeks.
> Obviously this arrangement is less than suitable. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>

> HP dv8000 with ATI X200M.
>

> Larry

wholly intolerable...

Envyng broke during install, so I uninstalled the installed portions...now the
packaged ATI driver does not show up in the proprietary drivers gui, it
installs from the package manager, but without direct rendering.

Larry

Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 AM
Larry Hartman

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 06:44:47 am Larry Hartman wrote:
> On Monday 28 July 2008 05:02:03 pm Larry Hartman wrote:
> > My fglrx driver, installed with 8.04 produces horrible b/w swiggly lines
> > on the s-video and no output on VGA-out, although it recognizes the tv or
> > monitor that is plugged in to either port.
> >
> > The latest fglrx driver produces b/w picture on s-video...slight
> > inprovement. I am trying to use my laptop for presentation in a few
> > weeks. Obviously this arrangement is less than suitable. Does anyone
> > have any suggestions?
> >

> > HP dv8000 with ATI X200M.
> >

> > Larry
>
> wholly intolerable...
>
> Envyng broke during install, so I uninstalled the installed portions...now
> the packaged ATI driver does not show up in the proprietary drivers gui, it
> installs from the package manager, but without direct rendering.
>
> Larry

Took me an hour to sort it all out. I tried again with Envy and achieved a
successful install. Then I deinstalled it, afterwards the proprietary driver
widget finally showed the ATI driver. I checked the appropriate box and
restarted.....successful boot but left with black screen after x-server
start. Rebooted under recovery and reconfigured x. Restarted again and
discovered that envy left some source packages installed. When I deinstalled
those and rechecked the ATI box in the proprietary drivers widget--and after
another restart--finally brought everything back to where I started.

I am gonna print my presentation with notes and present them as handouts. I
will wait for kubuntu 8.10 with updated fglrx to readdress my s-video and
vga-out problems. I suspect that it is a driver issue, although I haven't
ruled out broken hardware.

Did I ever say on the list how horrible the ATI X200M is?

Larry

Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Paul S

Larry Hartman said the following on 07/30/2008 01:45 AM:
> Did I ever say on the list how horrible the ATI X200M is?
>
> Larry

That's about the only reason I've kept M$ on it's own partition.
There's tv out and wifi that I sometimes need and can't get working
dependably in linux. FWIW, fglrx does a great job on recognizing tv and
external monitors on my X1400, but it's taken more than a year to get it
working. It's a shame they've never extended it back to your earlier
hardware.

Did you try the "ati" (aka "radeon") open source driver? There's a
patch from the gatos.sourceforge.net to get tv working on certain older
cards (is X200M the same as Radeon200?). I don't know if it's your
particular card though. There's also a howto patch and config in the
ubuntuforums (again, not sure if it's your card).

The ati dev's have tv out on their wish list (no time line and lot's of
higher priority stuff ahead of it).

regards,

Old 07-31-2008, 01:16 PM
Larry Hartman

On Wednesday 30 July 2008 12:02:32 pm Paul S wrote:
> Larry Hartman said the following on 07/30/2008 01:45 AM:
> > Did I ever say on the list how horrible the ATI X200M is?
> >
> > Larry
>
> That's about the only reason I've kept M$ on it's own partition.
> There's tv out and wifi that I sometimes need and can't get working
> dependably in linux. FWIW, fglrx does a great job on recognizing tv and
> external monitors on my X1400, but it's taken more than a year to get it
> working. It's a shame they've never extended it back to your earlier
> hardware.

This is a case of regression...tv-out was working just fine less than six
months ago. X200M is on the list of hardware supported. I do not wish to go
back to the older drivers.

> Did you try the "ati" (aka "radeon") open source driver? There's a
> patch from the gatos.sourceforge.net to get tv working on certain older
> cards (is X200M the same as Radeon200?). I don't know if it's your
> particular card though. There's also a howto patch and config in the
> ubuntuforums (again, not sure if it's your card).

if they do not have tv-out or vga-out working I do not see much point in it.