Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default hardy, vmware

I just updated my main production (64-bit) machine to hardy.

Seems to be fine, except that when I re-installed vmware (which I had to
do), the installation seemed to go fine, but when I try to ru it I get:

----

[H:~] vmware
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not
found (required by /usr/lib32/libcairo.so.2)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
found (required by /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not
found (required by /usr/lib32/libcairo.so.2)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
found (required by /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not
found (required by /usr/lib32/libcairo.so.2)
/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware:
/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_4.2.0' not
found (required by /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6)

----

Does anyone have any idea what that lot means and how to fix it?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Found the fix:

http://blog.fekw.de/2008/05/30/kubuntu-804-64bit-essential-apps-install-guide/5/

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Girard Henri

did you try virtualbox ?
I think it's much better and lighter

Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM
"Willy Hamra"

Le lundi 28 juillet 2008 à 10:50 -0600, D. R. Evans a écrit :

> Found the fix:

> http://blog.fekw.de/2008/05/30/kubuntu-804-64bit-essential-apps-install-guide/5/

> * Doc

> --

> Web: *http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

no one seems to give me a definite answer about this, is vmware any better than the free alternatives available? i've heard some people complain about USB support, which isn't a problem since i rarely use USB in my virtual machines, but what about stability? vmware never crashed or did anything funny with me, on windows and linux, not a single problem with network even after kernel updates. i want to also ask about compatibility, are vmware's virtual machines compatible with virtualbox? and vice-versa?

thanks in advance
--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 07-28-2008, 05:50 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Willy Hamra wrote:
> 2008/7/28 Girard Henri <girardhenri@free.fr <mailto:girardhenri@free.fr>>
>
> did you try virtualbox ?
> I think it's much better and lighter
>
> Le lundi 28 juillet 2008 à 10:50 -0600, D. R. Evans a écrit :
> > Found the fix:
> >

> http://blog.fekw.de/2008/05/30/kubuntu-804-64bit-essential-apps-install-guide/5/
> >
> > Doc
> >
> > --
> > Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR
> >

> no one seems to give me a definite answer about this, is vmware any
> better than the free alternatives available? i've heard some people
> complain about USB support, which isn't a problem since i rarely use USB
> in my virtual machines, but what about stability? vmware never crashed
> or did anything funny with me, on windows and linux, not a single
> problem with network even after kernel updates. i want to also ask about
> compatibility, are vmware's virtual machines compatible with virtualbox?
> and vice-versa?
> thanks in advance

well I can not help on the compatibility but I use Virtualbox and run
both XP and Vista for purpose of user-support and all works very well.
USB-support is in the "non-OSE"-version so I am not using the one in the
repos, network is very smooth. Better or not I can not say, just that VB
works very well.

Sinclair

Old 07-28-2008, 06:16 PM
"Girard Henri"

I can't answer all your questions...
I am on hardy aspire coreduo and xpress1200 and i
can't install vmware
That's why i turn to another
virtualbox.
USB works fine after a little "hack" on ubuntu
doc
with xp it"s very speedy
For other answers I don't know as I haven't any
appliances
Problem with vmware it's very heavy
regards
Â*