Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Steven Vollom

Default Need a cli editor for jpg files

Robert Parker wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 12:06 AM, Donn <donn.ingle@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 25 July 2008 18:53:46 Robert Parker wrote:
>>
>>> I need a CLI editor to resize jpg files ex digital camera down to
>>> something suitable for online use.
>>>
>> Copy your pics to shrinked/ to keep the originals safe, then in there:
>> convert -resize 800x600 -quality 75 *.jpg
>>
>> You can also look at the mogrify command. Check [man imagemagick] or
>> [convert --help] and [mogrify --help]
>>
>> Sorted!
>>

> Yes I think you are right. Looking at the ImageMajick home page now.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

I am not knowlegable using the terminal, yet. Is there a graphic user
interface that will manipulate large jpg files to make them smaller and
usable on the computer?

Steven

Old 07-25-2008, 05:46 PM
Knapp

> I am not knowlegable using the terminal, yet. Is there a graphic user
> interface that will manipulate large jpg files to make them smaller and
> usable on the computer?
>
> Steven

Using it is very easy. You might want to lean the basics.
I have found imagemagic to be a bit hard to understand.
You can use gimp as a gui image program and there are others too.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 07-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Donn

> I am not knowlegable using the terminal, yet. Is there a graphic user
> interface that will manipulate large jpg files to make them smaller and
> usable on the computer?
Yes, it's called 'konsole' and it renders these amazing fonts *and* it reads
from the keyboard so you can type all kinds of amazing commands (which is
quicker than using menus and buttons) like convert -resize 16x16 blah.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. Try Gimp or Krita but I don't know any small
interfaces off-hand.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:27 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/7/25 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net>:
> I am not knowlegable using the terminal, yet. Is there a graphic user
> interface that will manipulate large jpg files to make them smaller and
> usable on the computer?
>
> Steven

Try Kim:
http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Kim+(Kde+Image+Menu)?content=11505

* FEATURES:
This is an image Kde servicemenu which allows to:
- compress images,
- resize images,
- convert images,
- rotate images,
- rename images,
- resize and send by mail images,
- and more other actions !
This servicemenu use ImageMagick and Mpegtools.

/ Jonas

Old 07-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Graham Todd

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:36:47 -0400
Steven Vollom <stevenvollom@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I am not knowlegable using the terminal, yet. Is there a graphic
> user interface that will manipulate large jpg files to make them
> smaller and usable on the computer?

Yes, the GIMP

If its a bit difficult to use, download Grokking The Gimp (its in the
repositories)

--
Graham Todd

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Donn

Steven,
I totally forgot -- there is an awesome app called "Phatch" (for photo batch)
that's out there. Hardy has it in the repos, but you can get it from the
website (go search) and it's easy to install. It's really pretty damn
amazing.

hth

Old 07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Nigel Ridley

Robert Parker wrote:
> I need a CLI editor to resize jpg files ex digital camera down to
> something suitable for online use.
> I can do the job with Gimp but that is too cumbersome for a repetitive
> job such as this.
>
> A search on Google for 'cli editors for jpg' gets me lists of 1000's
> for GUI editors for mpegs, mp3.
>
> Anyone know of anything suitable?
>
> TIA
> Bob

I had to do a quick resize of a directory full of jpg's so that I could burn then to CD, so that
a bunch of friends could watch them on a TV via a DVD player.
The problem was that the originals were large and taking too long to load - so (after installing
imagemagick):
nigel@laptop:~$ cd path_to_dir
nigel@laptop:~/path_of_dir$ for i in *.jpg; do montage -geometry 800x603 -background black
-quality 95 $i -$i; done
(note: the above is all on one line).

You can change some of the parameters such as the quality. The '-background back' is a nice trick
so that 'portrait' pics have a black background that is invisible when viewed on a TV screen. The
'-geometry 800x603' was acquired by resizing one of my cameras jpg's in the Gimp.

This one-liner will make copies of your originals and prefixing them with a hyphen (-$i

HTH

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 07-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 26 July 2008, Donn wrote:
> Steven,
> I totally forgot -- there is an awesome app called "Phatch" (for photo
> batch) that's out there. Hardy has it in the repos, but you can get it from
> the website (go search) and it's easy to install. It's really pretty damn
> amazing.

Hmmm the 'phatch' I see in the repositories says:

This package provides a module allowing you to use the SQLite3 self-contained
database engine from within your PHP scripts, eliminating the need for a full
SQL server installation like MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Knapp

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 26 July 2008, Donn wrote:
>> Steven,
>> I totally forgot -- there is an awesome app called "Phatch" (for photo
>> batch) that's out there. Hardy has it in the repos, but you can get it from
>> the website (go search) and it's easy to install. It's really pretty damn
>> amazing.
>
> Hmmm the 'phatch' I see in the repositories says:
>
> This package provides a module allowing you to use the SQLite3 self-contained
> database engine from within your PHP scripts, eliminating the need for a full
> SQL server installation like MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Worked for me.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday 26 July 2008, Knapp wrote:
> > Hmmm *the 'phatch' I see in the repositories says:
> >
> > This package provides a module allowing you to use the SQLite3
> > self-contained database engine from within your PHP scripts, eliminating
> > the need for a full SQL server installation like MySQL or PostgreSQL.
>
> Worked for me.

Yeh... I did a search on 'photo batch' and a different phatch came up.