-   -   More on 8.04.1 buggy (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/131593-more-8-04-1-buggy.html)

"Gerald I. Evenden" 07-25-2008 03:47 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

While answering one of the comments on my previous complaint the disc
thrashing started again. I had been on the machine for about an hour prior
to this event. Again, per suggestion, I tried 'top' but could not figure out
what was happening. Then a popup message occurred indicating that I was
running out of memory. Because I wanted to get my email our I quickly sent
it an then did a shutdown.

After rebooting I did a df which showed:
/dev/sda6 152132292 136379128 8086148 95% /
varrun 1030896 156 1030740 1% /var/run
varlock 1030896 0 1030896 0% /var/lock
udev 1030896 64 1030832 1% /dev
devshm 1030896 0 1030896 0% /dev/shm
lrm 1030896 45040 985856
5% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile

and indeed I was running out of memory. I then did a du of my home user
directory and the follwing extract:
129128672 ./.strigi/clucene
4 ./.strigi/estraier
129128688 ./.strigi
!!!

I did a '/bin/rm -r .strigi' and disc usage is back to around 6%.

I know there is a program called strigi which I tried a few weeks ago but had
not knowingly used it since. I guess it is tied to Konqueror.

Is this program prone to runaway states?

Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

"Jonas Norlander" 07-25-2008 06:18 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

2008/7/25 Gerald I. Evenden <geraldi.evenden@gmail.com>:
> While answering one of the comments on my previous complaint the disc
> thrashing started again. I had been on the machine for about an hour prior
> to this event. Again, per suggestion, I tried 'top' but could not figure out
> what was happening. Then a popup message occurred indicating that I was
> running out of memory. Because I wanted to get my email our I quickly sent
> it an then did a shutdown.
>
> After rebooting I did a df which showed:
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6 152132292 136379128 8086148 95% /
> varrun 1030896 156 1030740 1% /var/run
> varlock 1030896 0 1030896 0% /var/lock
> udev 1030896 64 1030832 1% /dev
> devshm 1030896 0 1030896 0% /dev/shm
> lrm 1030896 45040 985856
> 5% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
>
> and indeed I was running out of memory. I then did a du of my home user
> directory and the follwing extract:
> 129128672 ./.strigi/clucene
> 4 ./.strigi/estraier
> 129128688 ./.strigi
> !!!
>
> I did a '/bin/rm -r .strigi' and disc usage is back to around 6%.
>
> I know there is a program called strigi which I tried a few weeks ago but had
> not knowingly used it since. I guess it is tied to Konqueror.
>
> Is this program prone to runaway states?
>
> Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Strigi is a desktop search daemon that index your files. If you search
the archive of this list you would see nothing but trouble for those
that tried it, the daemon crashes all the time, the index-files fills
up your disk and using the different GUI for searching something only
give you 10.000 results from your web browser cache. I never got it to
work in Gutsy or Hardy so now i always uninstall it. Why the Kubuntu
developer includes a program as default that don't work i cant
understand and they have done it for two releases now.

/ Jonas

Derek Broughton 07-25-2008 06:25 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> I know there is a program called strigi which I tried a few weeks ago but
> had not knowingly used it since. I guess it is tied to Konqueror.
>
> Is this program prone to runaway states?

yes. I remove strigi on any machine. I just can't understand why I need
all my files indexed...

It's not tied to konqueror, it's just a standard part of Kubuntu.
--
derek

"Gerald I. Evenden" 07-25-2008 07:31 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

On Friday 25 July 2008 2:25:30 pm Derek Broughton wrote:
> Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > I know there is a program called strigi which I tried a few weeks ago but
> > had not knowingly used it since. I guess it is tied to Konqueror.
> >
> > Is this program prone to runaway states?
>
> yes. I remove strigi on any machine. I just can't understand why I need
> all my files indexed...
>
> It's not tied to konqueror, it's just a standard part of Kubuntu.
> --
> derek

Many thanks for the explanation(you and Norlander). I did not realize
anything was wrong except for hearing the disk thrashing and later some
performance degradation. Then, suddenly, a warning popped up that I was
running out of disk.

Are we sure this isn't a virus planted by Apple or Microsoft? ;-)

Bye-bye strigi!

Derek Broughton 07-25-2008 08:32 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> Many thanks for the explanation(you and Norlander). I did not realize
> anything was wrong except for hearing the disk thrashing and later some
> performance degradation. Then, suddenly, a warning popped up that I was
> running out of disk.
>
> Are we sure this isn't a virus planted by Apple or Microsoft? ;-)

Frighteningly, it appears to have been solely perpetrated by our own
developers...
--
derek

Donn 07-26-2008 02:12 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

> Are we sure this isn't a virus planted by Apple or Microsoft? ;-)
I shall coin the phrase 'Strigulation' to cover this :D

Bruce Bales 07-27-2008 04:59 PM

More on 8.04.1 buggy

On Friday 25 July 2008 10:47:58 Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> While answering one of the comments on my previous complaint the disc
> thrashing started again. I had been on the machine for about an hour prior
> to this event. Again, per suggestion, I tried 'top' but could not figure
> out what was happening. Then a popup message occurred indicating that I
> was running out of memory. Because I wanted to get my email our I quickly
> sent it an then did a shutdown.
>
> After rebooting I did a df which showed:
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6 152132292 136379128 8086148 95% /
> varrun 1030896 156 1030740 1% /var/run
> varlock 1030896 0 1030896 0% /var/lock
> udev 1030896 64 1030832 1% /dev
> devshm 1030896 0 1030896 0% /dev/shm
> lrm 1030896 45040 985856
> 5% /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
>
> and indeed I was running out of memory. I then did a du of my home user
> directory and the follwing extract:
> 129128672 ./.strigi/clucene
> 4 ./.strigi/estraier
> 129128688 ./.strigi
> !!!
>
> I did a '/bin/rm -r .strigi' and disc usage is back to around 6%.

I did a 'locate strigi |wc' and it finds 68 instances. I had never heard of
it and don't think I want it. Is rm the good way to get rid of it or
would 'sudo apt-get remove strigi' do a more thorough job?

bruce