-   -   wlan and interfaces (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/131494-wlan-interfaces.html)

Knapp 07-25-2008 11:56 AM

wlan and interfaces

Can a few people with a working wifi hopefully with ndiswrapper on a
usb wifi stick please post their /etc/network/interfaces file?
thanks,
--
Douglas E Knapp

Derek Broughton 07-25-2008 03:59 PM

wlan and interfaces

Knapp wrote:

> Can a few people with a working wifi hopefully with ndiswrapper on a
> usb wifi stick please post their /etc/network/interfaces file?
> thanks,

Yes:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

Generally, you _shouldn't_ have anything else in there.
--
derek

Donn 07-25-2008 04:21 PM

wlan and interfaces

> Generally, you _shouldn't_ have anything else in there.
If one does not use a gui to setup network stuff, where should all the
humpty-dumpty for eth0/1 and wireless go? Just asking cos I stick all kinds
of junk in /etc/network/interfaces

Derek Broughton 07-25-2008 06:29 PM

wlan and interfaces

Donn wrote:

>> Generally, you _shouldn't_ have anything else in there.
> If one does not use a gui to setup network stuff, where should all the
> humpty-dumpty for eth0/1 and wireless go? Just asking cos I stick all
> kinds of junk in /etc/network/interfaces

If one doesn't use Network manager, everything probably belongs
in /etc/network/interfaces, but I hate trying to debug somebody's network
problems when they start by breaking NM and then complain NM doesn't work.

I've never had a need to have a wired interface mentioned
in /etc/network/interfaces since NM became part of Ubuntu. Sometimes,
complicated setups need something but it's best to start from a clean file.
--
derek

Donn 07-25-2008 07:04 PM

wlan and interfaces

On Friday, 25 July 2008 20:29:12 Derek Broughton wrote:
> If one doesn't use Network manager, everything probably belongs
> in /etc/network/interfaces,
Okay, just so's I know :)