Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default login problems again...

Right,
have just installed another pc with Kubuntu 8.04.1 and was playing
around with a sound-theme that requires setting of root password
(something to do with paths).

Following that I did a reboot and up comes the "desktop wizard"
suddenly. Thinking wtf I cancelled it and ever since that the login is a
bit weird.

It shows normal login screen, I type the password and then the screen
goes blue until the desktop comes up. No "action icons" on starting
processes and all that...

where did they go, how do I get them back? They are certainly not very
necessary, I just want the machine to be "tidy" as it is for my better half.

Regards,
Sinclair

Old 07-25-2008, 04:17 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Right,
> have just installed another pc with Kubuntu 8.04.1 and was playing
> around with a sound-theme that requires setting of root password
> (something to do with paths).
>
> Following that I did a reboot and up comes the "desktop wizard"
> suddenly. Thinking wtf I cancelled it and ever since that the login is a
> bit weird.
>
> It shows normal login screen, I type the password and then the screen
> goes blue until the desktop comes up. No "action icons" on starting
> processes and all that...
>
> where did they go, how do I get them back? They are certainly not very
> necessary, I just want the machine to be "tidy" as it is for my better half.
>
> Regards,
> Sinclair

this is the login splash screen that is missing, it happened with me
once, go to kcontrol/appearance and themes/splash, and edit it there, if
splash doesn't exist, then you need to install ksplash
sudo apt-get install ksplash (or use the package a manager of your choice)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems