Old 07-24-2008, 03:30 PM
"Gerald I. Evenden"

Default 8.04.1 so buggy I'm about to go back to Dapper

I down loaded 8.04.1 amd64 a couple of weeks ago to replace my aging Dapper
system and try to get up to date.

After a couple of tries I managed to determine the correct path though the
start of the DVD and managed to successfully get a boot on the second
attempt. Since then it has been nothing but a collection of little
got-cha's---too many to list here.

Current nasty is that I can't determine the correct selection monitor/nvidia
version to get my 1600x1200 screen to work. Worked fine under Dapper but now
the only usage form is 1280x1024. I tried to reload the Nvidia driver but
things got worse.

Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works (at
least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view youtube on
Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.

Some programs just disappear when I try to execute them.

Sometime, the disc seems to be thrashing around for a very long time in the
background. I'm not used to this under Dapper.

Question: is 8.04 any better? I downloaded from the Kunbunto site---should I
buy a distribution disc? And from whom?

Any suggestions would be helpful---even telling me to go back to Dapper.

PS: I did all the tests to verify the quality of the download and it passed.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Billie Walsh

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> I down loaded 8.04.1 amd64 a couple of weeks ago to replace my aging Dapper
> system and try to get up to date.
>
> After a couple of tries I managed to determine the correct path though the
> start of the DVD and managed to successfully get a boot on the second
> attempt. Since then it has been nothing but a collection of little
> got-cha's---too many to list here.
>
> Current nasty is that I can't determine the correct selection monitor/nvidia
> version to get my 1600x1200 screen to work. Worked fine under Dapper but now
> the only usage form is 1280x1024. I tried to reload the Nvidia driver but
> things got worse.
>
> Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works (at
> least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view youtube on
> Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.
>
> Some programs just disappear when I try to execute them.
>
> Sometime, the disc seems to be thrashing around for a very long time in the
> background. I'm not used to this under Dapper.
>
> Question: is 8.04 any better? I downloaded from the Kunbunto site---should I
> buy a distribution disc? And from whom?
>
> Any suggestions would be helpful---even telling me to go back to Dapper.
>
> PS: I did all the tests to verify the quality of the download and it passed.
>
> Thanks in advance.

When I went and looked on the Kubuntu site all I found was 8.04 for
download. Either the standard or the KDE4 remix. Is 8.04.1 a final
release or a b/rc release? I would think if it is a final it would be
available through the normal download procedure, not just the 8.04.

If it's a b/rc release that could explain some of your issues.

I've been using 8.04/KDE3.5.9 since release and find it VERY stable and
easy to install. Well, actually, I just did the "upgrade" through adept
on my desktop. But the 8.04/64 install on my new laptop was great. [
AND, best of all - EVERYTHING worked "right-out-of-the-box" ]

Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Brendan

On Thursday 24 July 2008, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> under Dapper but now the only usage form is 1280x1024. I tried to reload
> the Nvidia driver but things got worse.

Meaning what, exactly?

> Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works (at
> least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view youtube on
> Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.

Java works partially? How do you figure? If Youtube is your metric, it uses
Flash, not Java.

> Some programs just disappear when I try to execute them.

When you launch them via the command line, what is the output?

> Sometime, the disc seems to be thrashing around for a very long time in the
> background. I'm not used to this under Dapper.

Run a command "top" and see what is taking your CPU time. Often, you can tell
what is thrashing.

Before you go jumping from distro version to distro version, but some effort
into learning some debugging.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Knapp

> On Thursday 24 July 2008, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
>> under Dapper but now the only usage form is 1280x1024. I tried to reload
>> the Nvidia driver but things got worse.

My upgrade to 8.04 landed me in Nvidia hell but after some playing
around I got the xorg.conf set right to make my monitor work. I don't
think much of the resent changes to xorg.config, they don't seem to
work well and I have had to go in and change things by hand a lot and
guess at some settings. Luckily for me, I started Linux back when this
was the only way.

Another question was did you do a full install or and update?

My system is working just find now except for java and my mouse driver
still is not set right. The mouse is because I want ALL the buttons to
work. The base install gave me a working basic mouse. I never use
java and have not taken the time to fix it yet. I am sure some link
somewhere is wrong.

I am running an AMD X2 64 bit with Nvidia. Everything is stable
though, after the fight to get the system up and working. Also this is
a twin to a long term support ubuntu so that seems good to me.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Old 07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
"Steve C. Lamb"

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 02:32:11PM -0400, Brendan wrote:
> On Thursday 24 July 2008, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works (at
> > least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view youtube on
> > Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.

> Java works partially? How do you figure? If Youtube is your metric, it uses
> Flash, not Java.

Two separate conditions here.

Java partially works in FF but not Konq.
Flash works in Konq not FF.

This leads to his starting sentence of "are mixed as to what works on
what." If Java and flash worked on one but not the other it would not be
mixed.

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
"Thomas K. Gamble"

On Thursday 24 July 2008 09:30:00 am Gerald I. Evenden wrote:

> Current nasty is that I can't determine the correct selection
> monitor/nvidia version to get my 1600x1200 screen to work. Worked fine
> under Dapper but now the only usage form is 1280x1024. I tried to reload
> the Nvidia driver but things got worse.

I had problems here as well. I have twin Samsung 24" widescreens at 1920x1200
that wouldn't work with my old xorg.conf.

What I did was:

"sudo apt-get install envyng-core"
run "sudo envyng" and let it install the nvidia drivers.
run "sudo nvidia-settings", configure as desired and save to xorg.conf.

The resulting xorg.conf was somewhat different than my original, but it works
just fine.

> Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works (at
> least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view youtube on
> Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.

Running 64 bit on dual opterons here and installing "flashplugin-nonfree" got
youtube working ok. I still have some problems with JRE versions not jibing
with zoneminder stuff.

> Some programs just disappear when I try to execute them.
>
> Sometime, the disc seems to be thrashing around for a very long time in the
> background. I'm not used to this under Dapper.

How is your system partitioned?

--
Thomas K. Gamble
System/Network Administrator, Cyber Systems Security Officer

There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full.
Henry Kissinger

Old 07-24-2008, 08:27 PM
Brendan

On Thursday 24 July 2008, Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 02:32:11PM -0400, Brendan wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 July 2008, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> > > Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works
> > > (at least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view
> > > youtube on Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.
> >
> > Java works partially? How do you figure? If Youtube is your metric, it
> > uses Flash, not Java.
>
> Two separate conditions here.
>
> Java partially works in FF but not Konq.
> Flash works in Konq not FF.
>
> This leads to his starting sentence of "are mixed as to what works on
> what." If Java and flash worked on one but not the other it would not be
> mixed.

Not everyone is as precise in their wording, which is why I asked.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:51 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Steve C. Lamb wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 02:32:11PM -0400, Brendan wrote:
>> On Thursday 24 July 2008, Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
>>> Firefox and Konqueror are mixed as to what works on what. Java works (at
>>> least partially) on Firefox but fails on Konqueror. I can view youtube on
>>> Konqueror but not Firefox, ... and on and on.
>
>> Java works partially? How do you figure? If Youtube is your metric, it uses
>> Flash, not Java.
>
> Two separate conditions here.
>
> Java partially works in FF but not Konq.
> Flash works in Konq not FF.
>
> This leads to his starting sentence of "are mixed as to what works on
> what." If Java and flash worked on one but not the other it would not be
> mixed.

I always download Firefox before I download kubuntu-restricted-extras so
that I am sure Flash goes in both. No problems here after around 8 pc
installs with 8.04