-   -   Add/Remove Software Application Question (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/130927-add-remove-software-application-question.html)

"Barry Premeaux" 07-24-2008 03:16 PM

Add/Remove Software Application Question

I just installed Kubuntu on a new PC and am working my way through the
learning curve. When the Add/Remove Software application finished
updating, it said I had 160 updates available. I haven't found an
option in that application for listing just the updates. Apt-get has
an apt-show updates option which will give you the listing of
available updates. But going through a listing of 160 files in a
terminal window could be a bit troublesome. I will probably install
Synaptic, since I am familiar with it. Since I am on a dial up
connection, I need to select small groups to update. Hitting the
servers with apt-get updates would probably give me some where between
500-650M of data. Not real doable on dial up.

Still, I was wondering if there is a hidden option in Add/Remove
Software for displaying just available updates. It knows they are out
there, but I can't find anything in the documentation that explains
how to view just these files.

Barry

"Willy Hamra" 07-24-2008 04:10 PM

Add/Remove Software Application Question

add/remove programs is just as it's name says for adding* and removing programs, not working with updates. it uses apt-get in the back-end, but for a gui that manages updates, use adept, it is found in the k-menu/system. you can see your updates there. and an easier option is to check adept_notifier, it is the orange/brown box in the bottom roght corner, if you hover the mouse over it, it should say the number of updated packages available. click it, and it will display the list of packages and what is going to be changed in them (update, remove, new install...)

[...]

Groucho Marx *- "A hospital bed is a parked taxi with the meter running."

Nigel Henry 07-24-2008 04:18 PM

On Thursday 24 July 2008 17:16, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> I just installed Kubuntu on a new PC and am working my way through the
> learning curve. When the Add/Remove Software application finished
> updating, it said I had 160 updates available. I haven't found an
> option in that application for listing just the updates. Apt-get has
> an apt-show updates option which will give you the listing of
> available updates. But going through a listing of 160 files in a
> terminal window could be a bit troublesome. I will probably install
> Synaptic, since I am familiar with it. Since I am on a dial up
> connection, I need to select small groups to update. Hitting the
> servers with apt-get updates would probably give me some where between
> 500-650M of data. Not real doable on dial up.
>
> Still, I was wondering if there is a hidden option in Add/Remove
> Software for displaying just available updates. It knows they are out
> there, but I can't find anything in the documentation that explains
> how to view just these files.
>
> Barry

Hi Barry. I too am on dialup. I think I'd just go with an apt-get update,
followed by an apt-get dist-upgrade. On a new install there is likely to be a
whole bunch of stuff that needs to be upgraded, that wasn't up to speed on
the install CD.

If you have a fixed monthly payment for your dialup connection, like I have,
and can download as much as you want, it's no problem. Of course if you're
paying by the minute it's not much fun.

My French ISP aliceadsl.fr gives me sessions of a little more than 9hrs, and
can download just over 150MB at a time, and I'm currently downloading 6 iso's
for Fedora 9, which is a real bunch of fun. Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 on 1 cd
was a lot quicker.

If you do get long sessions from your ISP, let it run overnight, and if you
want to check mail, browse the web, etc, during the day, just do a CTRL + C,
which will suspend the download, then, either during the day, or overnight
again, just run apt-get dist-upgrade again. Say yes to it, and it will carry
on where it left off. Try to do this over a short period of time, as if you
do this over a week, some packages may have been updated in the meantime, and
an apt-get dist-upgrade will be trying to find older packages that no longer
exist, as they have been superceded by newer packages.

If you have suspended the downloads of the updates with ctrl + c, and are
doing the updates over a longer period of time, it would be wise to run
apt-get update, before running apt-get dist-upgrade, which will make sure
that apt's database is up to date with all the latest packages.

All the best.

Nigel.

"Barry Premeaux" 07-24-2008 04:37 PM

Add/Remove Software Application Question

Thank you. I'll check it out. Like I said, I'm still on the learning
curve with Kubuntu. It's my first debian based system. I am more
familiar with rpm based systems, PCLinuxOS, Opensuse, Fedora and
Mandriva primarily. I am still running PCLinuxOS on my laptop.

I finally updated my aging desktop with a unit that came with Opensuse
11.0 preinstalled. It had issues with my printer and seeing the
repositories over my dial up. They did the updates over the network
port. I had live CD's for Mandriva 2008.1 spring and Kubuntu 8.04. I
tried both and decided to go with Kubuntu. So far, I like it. But,
it is going to take a few days to get everything set up just the way I
want it.

Barry

"Barry Premeaux" 07-24-2008 05:10 PM

Add/Remove Software Application Question

> Hi Barry. I too am on dialup. I think I'd just go with an apt-get update,
> followed by an apt-get dist-upgrade. On a new install there is likely to be a
> whole bunch of stuff that needs to be upgraded, that wasn't up to speed on
> the install CD.
>
> If you have a fixed monthly payment for your dialup connection, like I have,
> and can download as much as you want, it's no problem. Of course if you're
> paying by the minute it's not much fun.

I'm on a flat monthly rate with no download limits. It's just the
issue of tying up the pc for several hours while it does updates.
Pulling the updates down in smaller chunks means I can get other
things done in between. As far as *.iso's, I ususally get those when
I am on the road with the lap top and have access to a high speed
internet connection.

The phone company still doesn't think it is worth the effort to bring
DSL out to our area. I can get high speed data from the cable
company, but I'm not sure I am ready to pay $50 for data and another
$15 for basic cable TV. The only offset is that I could save on the
second phone line that I currently have and the ISP. With taxes and
all, I would probably spend an additional $40 each month. I'm not
really excited about paying for cable TV, since I don't watch it that
much any more. I'll probably talk myself into it eventually.

Barry

"Steve C. Lamb" 07-24-2008 05:24 PM

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:10:46AM -0700, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> I'm on a flat monthly rate with no download limits. It's just the
> issue of tying up the pc for several hours while it does updates.

This is what sleeping is for. On an infinite timelime bandwidth is
infinite. If you have a large process/download going just start it before you
go to bed and when you get up it'll probably be done. To you, it was
instantanious. ;)

--
Steve C. Lamb | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | main connection to the switchboard of souls.