Old 07-23-2008, 09:47 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

Default Can't change desktop background

Hi!

I have tried all possible settings in kcontrol related to the desktop,
colors, window decoration you name it, but my desktop background
refuses to change. I first noticed it perhaps 1-2 weeks ago when a
wanted to change the picture i had and all i got was the background
color no matter what picture i chose. Any else got same problem? What
have i missed?

/ Jonas

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

I've always been able to change it through right-clicking on the
desktop and selecting "Configure Desktop". The Background settings
are the default configuration there so you should be able to find what
you need there. I have mine set to the default. Another thing to
consider is that if the file you're instructing kde to use as a
background isn't there you will only get the background color...

-Jared

Old 07-23-2008, 10:04 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

Just remembered that the same setting dialog is under "KControl" ->
"Look & Feel" -> "Desktop".

Old 07-24-2008, 06:59 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/7/24 Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared@gmail.com>:
> Just remembered that the same setting dialog is under "KControl" ->
> "Look & Feel" -> "Desktop".

Hi!

Thanks for the answer but I'm well aware of where and how to change
the background it's just that whatever settings/background i try it
wont change. In the preview window i see the changes but it don't
update the actual desktop with the new settings.

/ Jonas

Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
"Willy Hamra"

2008/7/24 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:

2008/7/24 Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared@gmail.com>:

> Just remembered that the same setting dialog is under "KControl" ->

> "Look & Feel" -> "Desktop".

Hi!

Thanks for the answer but I'm well aware of where and how to change

the background it's just that whatever settings/background i try it

wont change. In the preview window i see the changes but it don't

update the actual desktop with the new settings.

/ Jonas

i'm not sitting on a kububtu system right now, let's hope i remember
right. if you right-click the desktop, choose configure desktop, in the
windows where you see the pictures to choose from, there is and
advanced button, click it, in the new window, there should be something
about the program used to draw the desktop, try changing it to either
the default (if that's not already chosen) or some other program listed.

*hope it works
--
WC Fields *- "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money."

Old 07-24-2008, 11:16 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/7/24 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:
> 2008/7/24 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
>>
>> 2008/7/24 Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared@gmail.com>:
>> Thanks for the answer but I'm well aware of where and how to change
>> the background it's just that whatever settings/background i try it
>> wont change. In the preview window i see the changes but it don't
>> update the actual desktop with the new settings.
>>
>> / Jonas
>
> i'm not sitting on a kububtu system right now, let's hope i remember right.
> if you right-click the desktop, choose configure desktop, in the windows
> where you see the pictures to choose from, there is and advanced button,
> click it, in the new window, there should be something about the program
> used to draw the desktop, try changing it to either the default (if that's
> not already chosen) or some other program listed.
> hope it works
> --
> WC Fields - "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money."
> --

Hi!

No it don't :-/ For me it's unchecked and if i check it i got one
program to choose from and it's kwebdesktop, i tried it but i still
got my one color blue desktop.

It must be some other settings/program that interfere with the desktop
background drawing but i can't figure out what.

/ Jonas

Old 07-24-2008, 11:27 AM
"Willy Hamra"

2008/7/24 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:

2008/7/24 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:

> 2008/7/24 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:

>> 2008/7/24 Jared Greenwald <greenwaldjared@gmail.com>:

>> Thanks for the answer but I'm well aware of where and how to change

>> the background it's just that whatever settings/background i try it

>> wont change. In the preview window i see the changes but it don't

>> update the actual desktop with the new settings.

>> / Jonas

> i'm not sitting on a kububtu system right now, let's hope i remember right.

> if you right-click the desktop, choose configure desktop, in the windows

> where you see the pictures to choose from, there is and advanced button,

> click it, in the new window, there should be something about the program

> used to draw the desktop, try changing it to either the default (if that's

> not already chosen) or some other program listed.

> *hope it works

> --

> WC Fields *- "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money."

> --

Hi!

No it don't :-/ For me it's unchecked and if i check it i got one

program to choose from and it's kwebdesktop, i tried it but i still

got my one color blue desktop.

It must be some other settings/program that interfere with the desktop

background drawing but i can't figure out what.

could it be that the desktop is crashing? it happened with me once in gutsy, do you see the dekstop icons properly? try "alt+f2", type kdesktop, and hit enter.

--
Mitch Hedberg *- "My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them."

Old 07-24-2008, 12:03 PM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/7/23 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
> Hi!
>
> I have tried all possible settings in kcontrol related to the desktop,
> colors, window decoration you name it, but my desktop background
> refuses to change. I first noticed it perhaps 1-2 weeks ago when a
> wanted to change the picture i had and all i got was the background
> color no matter what picture i chose. Any else got same problem? What
> have i missed?
>
> / Jonas

Solved sort of, at least i found a workaround. Willy's mention of
kdesktop helped me to narrow the search in Google and i found this bug
report: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=408113 . The
quick and dirty solution was to delete
/home/jonas/.kde/share/config/kdesktoprc logout and login and i can
now change wallpapers again. Why it stopped work i have don't know,
all changes i did was through the GUI.

/ Jonas