Old 07-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Richard Ibbotson

Default Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu, request for advice?

On Monday 21 July 2008 17:36:22 Tom Bell wrote:
> kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
> Bas Roufs wrote:
> > > Dear everybody
> > >
> > > A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's
> > > why I am looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is
> > > more easy to always carry with me, but which can be combined
> > > with Kubuntu.

> Bas,
> All I can say is that so far I cannot get Wifi to work with Kubuntu
> 8.04 HH. As with my desktop it does not see the Wifi card with
> 'lshw', but does see it with 'lspci', go figure.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:kubuntu:home
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly

" Enabling wifi
Wireless internet does not work on the Eee on installation. To update
the drivers, open a terminal window
(Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and enter the following commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential
wget 'http://snapshots.madwifi.org/special/madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz'
tar zxvf madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz
cd madwifi-ng-r3366+ar5007
make clean
make
sudo make install
sudo reboot "

Works fine on every EeePC I've seen

--
Richard

Old 07-22-2008, 02:12 AM
"Donatas G."

I have installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my wife's eeepc 900. Everything works except
for hibernate (suspend does). Webcam is quirky at times...

I guess asus eee pc is (or will be) one of the best supported laptops on
ubuntu. it has even got its own kernel prebuilt, so you dont have to mess
with compiliation to enable webcam, wireless and so on.

Have a look at my eeepc del.icio.us links:
http://del.icio.us/dgvirtual/eeepc

Donatas

Old 07-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Derek Broughton

Donatas G. wrote:

> I have installed Kubuntu 8.04 on my wife's eeepc 900. Everything works
> except for hibernate (suspend does). Webcam is quirky at times...
>
> I guess asus eee pc is (or will be) one of the best supported laptops on
> ubuntu. it has even got its own kernel prebuilt, so you dont have to mess
> with compiliation to enable webcam, wireless and so on.

This seems a little contradictory - it doesn't suspend and the webcam
doesn't always work, but you don't have to mess with things?

fwiw, there's no reason you can't run Kubuntu with the original working
kernel.
--
derek