Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Tom Bell

Default Smaller model laptops in combination with Kubuntu, request for advice?

kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

Bas Roufs wrote:

> > Dear everybody
> >
> > A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
> > looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
> > carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
> >
> > At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
> > 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
> > technical specifications:
> > 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
> > (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
> > (version 1000).
> > More technical details:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
> >
> > Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
> >
> > Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
> > PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
> >
> > Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
> > combination with Kubuntu?
> >
> > Thanks for your reflections.
> >

> > Bas.
Bas,
All I can say is that so far I cannot get Wifi to work with Kubuntu 8.04
HH. As with my desktop it does not see the Wifi card with 'lshw', but
does see it with 'lspci', go figure. When loading Kubuntu HH, it said
it was loading the restricted drivers for the wlan card, but that is the
extent of support. Of course, I should have mentioned earlier that I
have an ASUS Eee900 linux that came with Xandros. The Xandros will work
fine with Wifi, but the distro is so bad that I can't recommend it
unless that person is brain damaged. Kubuntu HH does come up in
1024x780(approx.), which is nice. Just don't plan on using wlan/Wifi.
So far, I have not found anyone willing/able to help with the problem.
I have been to many sites checking out the various workarounds for this
problem but have been, needless to say, completely unsuccessful.
Good luck!

Tom

Old 07-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Jim

Tom Bell wrote:
> kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>
> Bas Roufs wrote:
>

>>> Dear everybody
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago, a laptop from me has been stolen again. That's why I am
>>> looking for a lighter/ smaller laptop model that is more easy to always
>>> carry with me, but which can be combined with Kubuntu.
>>>
>>> At present, I am considering "ASUS Eeee PC", version 901 or version
>>> 1000. Both new versions seem to become available in September. Main
>>> technical specifications:
>>> 1,6 Ghz processor (both models), 1 GB RAM (version 901) or 2 GB RAM
>>> (version 1000), 20 GB 'solid state disk' (version 901) or 40 GB
>>> (version 1000).
>>> More technical details:
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
>>>
>>> Both models are being sold along with the Linux distribution 'Xandros'
>>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xandros)
>>>
>>> Does anybody have any experience at all with some version of 'ASUS Eeee
>>> PC'? If you, did you already install Kubuntu on it? If so, how?
>>>
>>> Are there any other smaller model laptops you could advise me in
>>> combination with Kubuntu?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reflections.
>>>

>>> Bas.
>>>
> Bas,
> All I can say is that so far I cannot get Wifi to work with Kubuntu 8.04
> HH. As with my desktop it does not see the Wifi card with 'lshw', but
> does see it with 'lspci', go figure. When loading Kubuntu HH, it said
> it was loading the restricted drivers for the wlan card, but that is the
> extent of support. Of course, I should have mentioned earlier that I
> have an ASUS Eee900 linux that came with Xandros. The Xandros will work
> fine with Wifi, but the distro is so bad that I can't recommend it
> unless that person is brain damaged. Kubuntu HH does come up in
> 1024x780(approx.), which is nice. Just don't plan on using wlan/Wifi.
> So far, I have not found anyone willing/able to help with the problem.
> I have been to many sites checking out the various workarounds for this
> problem but have been, needless to say, completely unsuccessful.
> Good luck!
>
> Tom

Tom , do a lspci -vv and see if your wireless is the same that is in my
Eee702, if it is the the same as below Subsystem: See if the Unknown
device 1a3b:1026 is the same, then if you go to Madwifi and get this
madwifi-nr-r3366+ar5007.tar.gz
driver and compile it works perfect in Fedora 8, it should compile in
Ubuntu-8.04 with out any problems.
It even works fine using WEP.

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x
802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Unknown device 1a3b:1026
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort-<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 16 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 18
Region 0: Memory at fbef0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: ath_pci
Kernel modules: ath_pci, ath5k