Old 07-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Jerry Lapham

Default Wifi won't connect with password

I have an Acer Aspire 3002LCi laptop on which I've installed Kubuntu 8.04 on a
brand new empty drive. It has a Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter with the
BCM4318 chipset.

I have a D-Lind DI-524 wireless router. If I set Security to "None" I can get
it to connect. But if I set Security to "WEP", Authentication to "Open
System", WEP Encryption to "128bit", and Key Type to "ASCII" with a 13
character Key, it won't connect. It doesn't work with 64bit either.

KNetworkManager gives me the option of "WEP Passphrase" or "WEP 40/104 bit-bit
ASCII". Neither work when I type my 13 character key in the "Passphrase"
field. I even tried making both sides use shared key but that didn't work
either.

Any ideas? I don't really want to run with a wide-open router.

-Jerry

Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Glen Cunningham

G'day Jerry,

On Monday 21 July 2008 21:00 Jerry Lapham wrote:

> I have an Acer Aspire 3002LCi laptop on which I've installed Kubuntu
> 8.04 on a brand new empty drive. It has a Broadcom 802.11g Network
> Adapter with the BCM4318 chipset.
>
> I have a D-Lind DI-524 wireless router. If I set Security to "None" I
> can get it to connect. But if I set Security to "WEP", Authentication
> to "Open System", WEP Encryption to "128bit", and Key Type to "ASCII"
> with a 13 character Key, it won't connect. It doesn't work with 64bit
> either.
Very similar system here. D-Link DWL-G700 with ...
Authentication "OpenSystem"
WEP "Enabled"
WEP Encryption "128Bit"
Key Type "Hex (26 characters)"

> KNetworkManager gives me the option of "WEP Passphrase" or "WEP 40/104
> bit-bit ASCII". Neither work when I type my 13 character key in the
> "Passphrase" field. I even tried making both sides use shared key but
> that didn't work either.
>
> Any ideas? I don't really want to run with a wide-open router.
I also could not get any sense out of KNetworkManager - it seems to be
broken :-( What I did was put the needed entries
in /etc/network/interfaces like so ....

auto lo ath0 #<--- ath0 is my Atheros-chipped Wifi card
iface lo inet loopback # Gotta have lo
iface ath0 inet dhcp # dhcp is easier than static here
wireless-mode managed
wireless-essid MyESSIDhere # Case-sensitive
wireless-key 123456789abcdef123456789ab # Your 26-char Hex key

A lot of messing about, but it works and is better than
running "wide-open". Note : Your Broadcom thingy will probably be eth1
(eth0 being your onboard-builtin ethernet interface) anyway ifconfig -a
should show what is what.

HTH
Glen

Old 07-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Monday 21 July 2008 8:36:04 am Glen Cunningham wrote:

> On Monday 21 July 2008 21:00 Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > I have an Acer Aspire 3002LCi laptop on which I've installed Kubuntu
> > 8.04 on a brand new empty drive. It has a Broadcom 802.11g Network
> > Adapter with the BCM4318 chipset.
> >
> > I have a D-Lind DI-524 wireless router. If I set Security to "None" I
> > can get it to connect. But if I set Security to "WEP", Authentication
> > to "Open System", WEP Encryption to "128bit", and Key Type to "ASCII"
> > with a 13 character Key, it won't connect. It doesn't work with 64bit
> > either.
>
> Very similar system here. D-Link DWL-G700 with ...
> Authentication "OpenSystem"
> WEP "Enabled"
> WEP Encryption "128Bit"
> Key Type "Hex (26 characters)"
>
> > KNetworkManager gives me the option of "WEP Passphrase" or "WEP 40/104
> > bit-bit ASCII". Neither work when I type my 13 character key in the
> > "Passphrase" field. I even tried making both sides use shared key but
> > that didn't work either.
> >
> > Any ideas? I don't really want to run with a wide-open router.
>
> I also could not get any sense out of KNetworkManager - it seems to be
> broken :-( What I did was put the needed entries
> in /etc/network/interfaces like so ....
>
> auto lo ath0 #<--- ath0 is my Atheros-chipped Wifi card
> iface lo inet loopback # Gotta have lo
> iface ath0 inet dhcp # dhcp is easier than static here
> wireless-mode managed
> wireless-essid MyESSIDhere # Case-sensitive
> wireless-key 123456789abcdef123456789ab # Your 26-char Hex key

Thanks! It works! When I booted it came up attached, ready to browse. Now,
the next question: How do I find and attach to a different router -- like at
a motel or my son's or my daughter's houses?

-Jerry

Old 07-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Gordon Schulz

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:27, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> Thanks! It works! When I booted it came up attached, ready to browse. Now,
> the next question: How do I find and attach to a different router -- like at
> a motel or my son's or my daughter's houses?
"iwlist scan" gives you a list of all available access points in range.
Granted, only if they are configured to broadcast their SSID.
Simply switch out the ESSID in the config file then and restart
networking.

For wireless roaming you will have to configure wpa_supplicant, there
are plenty of guides around and it's actually not that hard to set up.
--
Greetings,
Gordon.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Monday 21 July 2008 5:32:33 pm Gordon Schulz wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 14:27, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> > Thanks! It works! When I booted it came up attached, ready to browse.
> > Now, the next question: How do I find and attach to a different router
> > -- like at a motel or my son's or my daughter's houses?
>
> "iwlist scan" gives you a list of all available access points in range.
> Granted, only if they are configured to broadcast their SSID.
> Simply switch out the ESSID in the config file then and restart
> networking.

Most of the time when I run "iwlist scan" I get "wlan0 No scan results" even
though I'm connected and can browse and email. Sometimes it sees my router.
But it so far has never showed any of the neighbors' ESSIDs that I used to
see with Knetworkmanager.

Any idea why?

-Jerry

Old 07-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Gordon Schulz

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:10, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> Most of the time when I run "iwlist scan" I get "wlan0 No scan results" even
> though I'm connected and can browse and email. Sometimes it sees my router.
> But it so far has never showed any of the neighbors' ESSIDs that I used to
> see with Knetworkmanager.
>
> Any idea why?
Only reason I can think of is that you do the 'iwlist scan' without
sudo/root privileges. Scanning as normal user only gives the left-over
scan results from prior scannings, so that would explain the
inconsistent behaviour. I'd assume (k)networkmanager does it's scanning
with at least temporary root privileges to see the SSIDs in range.
--
Gordon.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Jerry Lapham

On Wednesday 23 July 2008 4:18:36 am Gordon Schulz wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 18:10, Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@cinci.rr.com> wrote:
> > Most of the time when I run "iwlist scan" I get "wlan0 No scan results"
> > even though I'm connected and can browse and email. Sometimes it sees my
> > router. But it so far has never showed any of the neighbors' ESSIDs that
> > I used to see with Knetworkmanager.
> >
> > Any idea why?
>
> Only reason I can think of is that you do the 'iwlist scan' without
> sudo/root privileges. Scanning as normal user only gives the left-over
> scan results from prior scannings, so that would explain the
> inconsistent behaviour. I'd assume (k)networkmanager does it's scanning
> with at least temporary root privileges to see the SSIDs in range.
> --
> Gordon.

That's it. Thanks.

-Jerry