Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default Temp applet?

On Saturday 19 July 2008, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > I do have ksysguard running in the panel. I don't see where I can
> > configure what is displayed. I have CPU and memory graphs. How
> > does one add temp?
>
> Sorry to have misunderstood your request for an "applet".
>
> In KSysGuard, in the left-hand panel: expand it to show ACPI -->
> Thermal Zone --> Temperature. Then drag the tiny symbol to a window.

You are probably right on this but I see no ACPI in Ksysguard.

Unless a reboot is necessary. I just loaded the sensor modules and am getting
good info out of the 'sensors' command. But Ksysguard isn't telling me a
thing.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
David Fletcher

On Saturday 19 Jul 2008, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> You are probably right on this but I see no ACPI in Ksysguard.
>
> Unless a reboot is necessary. I just loaded the sensor modules and am
getting
> good info out of the 'sensors' command. But Ksysguard isn't telling me a
> thing.

I got

The program 'sensors' is currently not installed. You can install it by
typing:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors

So I removed lmsensors and did as requested above.

sensors now works for me, which I've never had before, thanks:-
Core0 Temp:
+22C
Core0 Temp:
+23C
Core1 Temp:
+27C
Core1 Temp:
+24C

These might seem low, but I'm running an AMD dual core, energy efficient chip
with the enormous OCZ copper conductor heat sink that's got a stack of big
aluminium fins and a proper size fan on the side :-) It should run for ever.

+27C agrees with what I saw in the BIOS last time I looked.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to one of the
richest companies in the world for its products, even though perfectly good

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Dotan Cohen said the following at 07/19/2008 12:00 PM :
> 2008/7/19 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
>> I like Kima.

The great thing about Ksysguard (to my mind) is that you can easily monitor
the status of many things on multiple computers. I'm not sure that Kima
allows that.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Derek Broughton

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Saturday 19 July 2008, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
>> > I do have ksysguard running in the panel. I don't see where I can
>> > configure what is displayed. I have CPU and memory graphs. How
>> > does one add temp?
>>
>> Sorry to have misunderstood your request for an "applet".
>>
>> In KSysGuard, in the left-hand panel: expand it to show ACPI -->
>> Thermal Zone --> Temperature. Then drag the tiny symbol to a window.
>
> You are probably right on this but I see no ACPI in Ksysguard.
>
> Unless a reboot is necessary. I just loaded the sensor modules and am
> getting
> good info out of the 'sensors' command. But Ksysguard isn't telling me a
> thing.

Works for me - under "Sensor Browser"/"localhost". Now if only I could
figure out how to put that into the system tray.
--
derek

Old 07-20-2008, 03:17 AM
"D. R. Evans"

Derek Broughton said the following at 07/19/2008 07:48 PM :

> Works for me - under "Sensor Browser"/"localhost". Now if only I could
> figure out how to put that into the system tray.

Right click on panel | Add applet | System Guard

Configure system guard if you need to after you've put it in the panel, to
select the number of panels that you want to display.

I have three monitors in my panel: CPU, Eth on the local machine, and Eth
on a remote machine (on the NIC that goes to the Internet, so I can see my
aggregated upstream/downstream bandwidth use in real time).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-20-2008, 06:48 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Saturday 19 July 2008 19:55:50 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> KSysGuard.
>> I do have ksysguard running in the panel. I don't see where I can
>> configure what is displayed. I have CPU and memory graphs. How
>> does one add temp?
>
> Sorry to have misunderstood your request for an "applet".

I use cpuinfo, very handy.

Sinclair

Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 AM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/20 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Dotan Cohen said the following at 07/19/2008 12:00 PM :
>> 2008/7/19 Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>:
>>> I like Kima.
>>>

> The great thing about Ksysguard (to my mind) is that you can easily monitor
> the status of many things on multiple computers. I'm not sure that Kima
> allows that.

Are you referring to the panel applet? Because I do not see how to
configure it for displaying tempurature.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Derek Broughton

D. R. Evans wrote:

> Derek Broughton said the following at 07/19/2008 07:48 PM :
>

>> Works for me - under "Sensor Browser"/"localhost". Now if only I could
>> figure out how to put that into the system tray.
>
> Right click on panel | Add applet | System Guard

Doh! I had the _application_ in the panel, not the applet. Much better
now, thanks.

My thanks to whoever raised this question! My acpi thermal module doesn't
always work after resuming from hibernate, and when the laptop's on my lap,
I know it, but if it's on the desk I'd like to see when the temperature's
rising. A simple "modprobe -r thermal; modprobe thermal" fixes it, but
even telling acpi _and_ pm_utils to unload/reload the module doesn't seem
to do the job, so having the temperature display in the panel is useful.
--
derek

Old 07-20-2008, 04:37 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/7/20 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
>>
>> The great thing about Ksysguard (to my mind) is that you can easily
>> monitor the status of many things on multiple computers. I'm not sure
>> that Kima allows that.
>
> Are you referring to the panel applet? Because I do not see how to
> configure it for displaying tempurature.

It takes two steps. Add the sysguard applet to the panel, _then_ open
ksysguard (the application, not the applet), drill down in the Sensor
Browser, through localhost/ACPI/... to the temperature sensor, then drag it
from KSysguard and drop it onto the applet. I know it works, because I've
just set mine up!
--
derek

Old 07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/20 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> It takes two steps. Add the sysguard applet to the panel, _then_ open
> ksysguard (the application, not the applet), drill down in the Sensor
> Browser, through localhost/ACPI/... to the temperature sensor, then drag it
> from KSysguard and drop it onto the applet. I know it works, because I've
> just set mine up!

Thank you Derek! I have it configured now.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il