Old 07-18-2008, 03:30 PM
"Gerald I. Evenden"

Default My 8.04.1 is falling apart

I downloaded 8.04.1-amd64 from the net and burned a DVD and eventually got a
supposedly functioning system after adding an Nvidia driver and the
RealPlayer update. Throughout I seem to get little "hickups" or glitches
that come and go but since they disappear I tend to forget them. To date,
the change from the previous Kubuntu version is about two weeks old.

Yesterday I noted that the triangular icon at the lower right indicated that
there were package updates available so I attempted to pursue this process.
Partway through there was a complaint about the 8.04.1 disc contents so I
tried to gracefully give up the process. When booting this morning all hell
broke loose and I eventually ended up in console mode (I can't remember how
to get into windows mode, it is so long ago that I ever had to do it :-( ).
Fussing around with the alternate boot the system finally booted into KDE but
indicated that it had lost sound drivers. Also, the screen had also lost the
resolution. I booted again, and the sound driver miraculously reappeared but
the Nvidia driver had not.

Question 1: am I better off paying $13+ to get a stamped copy of 8.04[.0] and
trying to redo everything from this level or keep fighting the problems with
the .1 download?

Question 2: Amazon sells two DVDs of 8.04 with different wrapper and
respective ID numbers of: B0019KMA0I and B0019KKM4O and and features a
combined purchase of both for a buck or two off. But the description looks
identical. What is the difference? Why buy copies of the same thing???

Thanks for any suggestions. I hope I can keep this limping version running
long enough to read responses. :-)

PS: I did all the checks of the downloaded disc that were available and it
passed with out problems.

PPS: after downloading the RealPlayer stuff, Konqueror worked fine on
youtube.com but Firefox still did not function with RealPlayer.