Old 12-05-2007, 03:29 AM
Terence Simpson

Default Disabling IPv6

Donn wrote:
> I know it has been mentioned, but could I bug someone to explainify it to moi?
> I would like to turn IPv6 off (assuming it's on) to see if my browsing will
> speed up a little.

echo "blacklist ipv6" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
then reboot and no more IPv6

Terence Simpson

Old 12-05-2007, 04:35 AM
Donn

> then reboot and no more IPv6
Tah.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Tony van der Hoff

I know this is a FAQ, so apologies, but after much googling I've been
unable to find a remedy.

I run my own caching BIND9 under squeeze, and as far as I'm aware it's
correctly set up.

I'm using Thunderbird as my MUA, with an IMAP host on my VPS,
smtp.vanderhoff.org.

When trying to read or send mail I invariably get a DNS timeout:
Dec 28 10:11:23 tony-lx named[1768]: error (unexpected RCODE SERVFAIL)
resolving 'smtp.vanderhoff.org/AAAA/IN': 91.121.205.64#53
Dec 28 10:11:27 tony-lx named[1768]: error (network unreachable)
resolving 'smtp.vanderhoff.org/AAAA/IN': 2001:41d0:1:d640::1#53

Well, that appears to be looking for an IPv6 address, and as my router
doesn't support IPv6, it's bound to go wrong.

As far as I'm aware, nowhere do I require bind9 to look up IPv6
addresses, and I have

listen-on-v6 { none; };
in my named.conf.options.

Any suggestions, please?

--
Tony van der Hoff | mailto:tony@vanderhoff.org
Buckinghamshire, England |

Archive: 4EFAEF15.1000402@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4EFAEF15.1000402@vanderhoff.org

Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 10:27:33, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Well, that appears to be looking for an IPv6 address, and as my
> router doesn't support IPv6, it's bound to go wrong.

It shouldn't, but I have encountered this with several SOHO routers. The
fix is to upgrade the router firmware. The workaround it to bypass the
router for DNS.

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
Tony van der Hoff

On 28/12/11 11:27, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 10:27:33, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

Well, that appears to be looking for an IPv6 address, and as my
router doesn't support IPv6, it's bound to go wrong.

It shouldn't, but I have encountered this with several SOHO routers. The
fix is to upgrade the router firmware. The workaround it to bypass the
router for DNS.

Thanks, Andrei.

Unfortunately my router (Linksys WAG54GS) is no longer supported, and no
firmware updates are available.

Not sure that I understand what you mean by "bypass the router"; I don't
use it for DNS directly, but packages have to pass through it.

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the symptoms of the problem.

--

Archive: 4EFAFEFE.2040700@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4EFAFEFE.2040700@vanderhoff.org

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:27 AM, Tony van der Hoff <tony@vanderhoff.org> wrote:

> I know this is a FAQ, so apologies, but after much googling I've been unable
> to find a remedy.
>
> I run my own caching BIND9 under squeeze, and as far as I'm aware it's
> correctly set up.
>
> I'm using Thunderbird as my MUA, with an IMAP host on my VPS,
> smtp.vanderhoff.org.
>
> When trying to read or send mail I invariably get a DNS timeout:
> Dec 28 10:11:23 tony-lx named[1768]: error (unexpected RCODE SERVFAIL)
> resolving 'smtp.vanderhoff.org/AAAA/IN': 91.121.205.64#53
> Dec 28 10:11:27 tony-lx named[1768]: error (network unreachable) resolving
> 'smtp.vanderhoff.org/AAAA/IN': 2001:41d0:1:d640::1#53
>
> Well, that appears to be looking for an IPv6 address, and as my router
> doesn't support IPv6, it's bound to go wrong.
>
> As far as I'm aware, nowhere do I require bind9 to look up IPv6 addresses,
> and I have
> * * * *listen-on-v6 { none; };
> in my named.conf.options.

"listen-on-v6 { none; }" only prevents queries being made using ipv6
as a transport method not queries for the resolution of ipv6
addresses.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 11:35:26, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Not sure that I understand what you mean by "bypass the router"; I
> don't use it for DNS directly, but packages have to pass through it.
> Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the symptoms of the problem.

Perhaps I have mis-diagnosed your problem. What DNS server is bind using
to resolve hostnames. Is it the router, the one(s) provided by the ISP
or some other service (Google, OpenDNS, etc.)?

If it is the router try switching to the one provided by your ISP or
8.8.8.8 (Google). Hint: you can usually find your ISPs DNS servers in
the router's status pages.

Hope this helps,
Andrei

Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Tony van der Hoff

On 28/12/11 17:28, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 11:35:26, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

Not sure that I understand what you mean by "bypass the router"; I
don't use it for DNS directly, but packages have to pass through it.
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the symptoms of the problem.

Perhaps I have mis-diagnosed your problem. What DNS server is bind using
to resolve hostnames. Is it the router, the one(s) provided by the ISP
or some other service (Google, OpenDNS, etc.)?

If it is the router try switching to the one provided by your ISP or
8.8.8.8 (Google). Hint: you can usually find your ISPs DNS servers in
the router's status pages.

No, as I said, I don't use the router for DNS resolution, so I guess I
am bypassing it, as you suggest They're the ISP's DNS, but I've tried
others, without any improvement.

forwarders {
// ukpost
77.75.108.53;

// entanet
195.74.102.146;
195.74.102.147;
};

I seem to have worked round the problem by adding mail.vanderhoff.org
and smtp.vanderhoff.org to my local hosts file. Not seen any timeouts
since, but I don't feel it's the right thing to do...

--

Archive: 4EFB553C.4030202@vanderhoff.org">http://lists.debian.org/4EFB553C.4030202@vanderhoff.org

Old 12-28-2011, 06:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 17:43:24, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> I seem to have worked round the problem by adding
> mail.vanderhoff.org and smtp.vanderhoff.org to my local hosts file.
> Not seen any timeouts since, but I don't feel it's the right thing
> to do...

Do you get any issues with other sites?

Kind regards,
Andrei

Old 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM
Tony van der Hoff

On 28/12/11 19:40, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Mi, 28 dec 11, 17:43:24, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

I seem to have worked round the problem by adding
mail.vanderhoff.org and smtp.vanderhoff.org to my local hosts file.
Not seen any timeouts since, but I don't feel it's the right thing
to do...

Do you get any issues with other sites?

Well, here's one:

Dec 28 20:01:19 tony-lx named[1816]: error (network unreachable)
resolving '0.debian.pool.ntp.org/AAAA/IN': 2001:500:e::1#53