-   -   update (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/125826-update.html)

Girard Henri 07-16-2008 01:23 PM

update

Hi

Since 2 days it's impossible to update hardy with kde4.1, i got
this
message :

dpkg: ../../src/packages.c:252: process_queue: Assertion `!
queuelen'
failed.
any help ?

Keith Clark 11-27-2008 03:15 PM

Update

I am trying to install updates but i get the following error:

Unable to get an exclusive lock

This usually means that another package management application (like
apt-get or aptitude) is already running. Please close that application
first.

I am not running any other apt-get or aptitude to my knowledge.

Keith

Nigel Henry 11-27-2008 03:58 PM

Update

On Thursday 27 November 2008 17:15, Keith Clark wrote:
> I am trying to install updates but i get the following error:
> > Unable to get an exclusive lock
> >
> > This usually means that another package management application (like
> > apt-get or aptitude) is already running. Please close that application
> > first.
>
> I am not running any other apt-get or aptitude to my knowledge.
>
> Keith

It's probably some "search for updates daemon" that is running when you login.
Personally, and being on dialup, I try to disable all this stuff, as it's a
bit too much like Windows. Rant aside, if you leave it for a few minutes,
then try for the updates again, you may well find that the problem is
resolved.

Nigel.

Leonard Chatagnier 11-27-2008 04:02 PM

Update

> I am trying to install updates but i get the following
> error:
>
> > Unable to get an exclusive lock
> >
> > This usually means that another package management
> application (like
> > apt-get or aptitude) is already running. Please close
> that application
> > first.
> I am not running any other apt-get or aptitude to my
> knowledge.

Try simply rm-ing the file:
/var/cache/apt/archives/lock
which usually is the cause. Also, look in the partial directory in the above dir to see if there may be a lock file there and remove it also.
It may help the list if you told us which package manager you are running. Also double check that something like synaptic, update manager, adept manager, software sources is running that you are not aware of or is running in the background. HTH, if not post back listing what you've done and any error messages. Removing the lock fire should fix not being able to update.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Keith Clark 11-27-2008 04:03 PM

Update

Nigel Henry wrote:

I am trying to install updates but i get the following error:

Unable to get an exclusive lock

This usually means that another package management application (like
apt-get or aptitude) is already running. Please close that application
first.

I am not running any other apt-get or aptitude to my knowledge.

Keith

It's probably some "search for updates daemon" that is running when you login.
Personally, and being on dialup, I try to disable all this stuff, as it's a
bit too much like Windows. Rant aside, if you leave it for a few minutes,
then try for the updates again, you may well find that the problem is
resolved.

Nigel.

Nigel,

Thanks! That was exactly it. I guess it was not finished with its
searching for updates function when I tried to start it up.

All is good now. Thanks for the quick response!

Keith

"Wayne 01-01-2010 12:53 AM

UPDATE