Old 10-11-2011, 02:19 PM
Kwpolska

Default update

On Oct 11, 2011 2:41 AM, "Martin" <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:

> [spanish] Carlos, probablemente la demora con pacman no tenga nada que ver
con gnome. Lo más probable es que tu mirror esté funcionando lento. Prueba
esto: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector

> En todo caso, esta lista de correo es en inglés, por lo que intenta
escribir siempre en ese idioma. [/spanish]

electricaos07@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanx Martti, but my question it is
>>
>> somebody know when i update, its very slowly. Rhytmbox doesnt work too.
All

electricaos07@gmail.com

>>> All

NULL)

>>> I guess you need to look at [1], especially the part where you call
>>> locale-gen.
>>> As for the rest of the messages, I can't help because I don't
>>> understand what looks Spanish to me.
>>>
>>> cheers!
>>> mar77i
>>>
>>> [1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Locale

Poor non-spanish man's translation: pacman may have bad repos that cause
problems with gnome, try reflector.

(The other paragraph is about speaking English, I presume.)
--
Kwpolska
Sent from my phone.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Martin <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> [spanish] Carlos, probablemente la demora con pacman no tenga nada que ver
> con gnome. Lo más probable es que tu mirror esté funcionando lento. Prueba
> esto: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector
>
> En todo caso, esta lista de correo es en inglés, por lo que intenta escribir
> siempre en ese idioma. [/spanish]

It says:
Carlos, pacman being slow probably has nothing to do with gnome. It is
more likely that your mirror is slow. Try this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector

Anyway, this mail list is in English, why do you always try to write
in this language?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Manolo Martínez

On 10/11/11 at 11:39am, Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Martin <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
> > [spanish] Carlos, probablemente la demora con pacman no tenga nada que ver
> > con gnome. Lo más probable es que tu mirror esté funcionando lento. Prueba
> > esto: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector
> >
> > En todo caso, esta lista de correo es en inglés, por lo que intenta escribir
> > siempre en ese idioma. [/spanish]
>
> It says:
> Carlos, pacman being slow probably has nothing to do with gnome. It is
> more likely that your mirror is slow. Try this:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector
>
> Anyway, this mail list is in English, why do you always try to write
> in this language?
In fact, the last sentence should
be translated rather as: This mailing list is in English, so please try to
stick to this language.

I don't think this is very important, and I'm a recent subscriber to the list
anyway, but I believe that short exchanges in other languages such as this (in which a
person who obviously does not write English asks a question, and then an answer
is given in his or her language, together with a friendly reminder about the
language of the list) are harmless.

Manolo

Old 10-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM, Manolo Martínez
<manolo@austrohungaro.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/11 at 11:39am, Vitor Eiji Justus Sakaguti wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM, Martin <mzecher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > En todo caso, esta lista de correo es en inglés, por lo que intenta escribir
>> > siempre en ese idioma. [/spanish]
>> Anyway, this mail list is in English, why do you always try to write
>> in this language?

> In fact, the last sentence should
> be translated rather as: This mailing list is in English, so please try to
> stick to this language.

Sorry, my Spanish is not that good it seems

> I don't think this is very important, and I'm a recent subscriber to the list
> anyway, but I believe that short exchanges in other languages such as this (in which a
> person who obviously does not write English asks a question, and then an answer
> is given in his or her language, together with a friendly reminder about the
> language of the list) are harmless.

As long as they bring a translation along.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:07 PM
clemens fischer

On Tue-2011/10/11-07:12 C Anthony Risinger wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2011 7:41 PM, "Martin" <...> wrote:
>
>> [spanish] ... [/spanish]
>
> ... and then no one else can benefit or contribute to this out-of-band
> conversation?

Why yes! instead of "reflector", pacman's own "rankmirrors" script
provides a speed ranking of mirrors _as seen from the ocal site_ instead
of the archlinux json interface, which runs server-side and seems to
favour japanese and american mirrors.

eg.

rankmirrors -t /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

clemens

Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Cédric Girard

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM, clemens fischer wrote:

> On Tue-2011/10/11-07:12 C Anthony Risinger wrote:
>
> > On Oct 10, 2011 7:41 PM, "Martin" <...> wrote:
> >
> >> [spanish] ... [/spanish]
> >
> > ... and then no one else can benefit or contribute to this out-of-band
> > conversation?

Clemens, what's the link between the text you're quoting and your answer?

> Why yes! instead of "reflector", pacman's own "rankmirrors" script
> provides a speed ranking of mirrors _as seen from the ocal site_ instead
> of the archlinux json interface, which runs server-side and seems to
> favour japanese and american mirrors.

Mirror status provided by ArchLinux may be filtered by country. They have
freshness status included thus making them more useful (if the fastest
mirror has not been updated for a week it is not the best mirror to choose).

--
Cédric Girard

Old 10-26-2011, 05:06 PM
clemens fischer

Cédric Girard wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM, clemens fischer wrote:

>> > ... and then no one else can benefit or contribute to this
>> > out-of-band conversation?
>>

> Clemens, what's the link between the text you're quoting and your
> answer?

"... benefit or contribute ...": the thread had to do with slow
mirrors. So I mentioned rankmirrors (@ pacman).

> Mirror status provided by ArchLinux may be filtered by country. They
> have freshness status included thus making them more useful (if the
> fastest mirror has not been updated for a week it is not the best
> mirror to choose).

That is true. I didn't think of this. By the way: using
community/jshon it is possible to script something up with a more generic
tool, eg.

$ wget -q -O '/dl/linux-archlinux.org-mirrors.json'
'https://www.archlinux.org/mirrors/status/json/'
$ for i in {0..555};do echo $(
jshon -e urls -e $i -e score -u -p -e country -u -p -e url -u
< /dl/linux-archlinux.org-mirrors.json
) || break;done |
egrep -v '^(undef|null)' |
egrep '[[:space:]]Germany[[:space:]]' |
sort -k1,1n |
uniq |
head -n7
1.087776 Germany http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/archlinux/
1.128424 Germany http://archlinux.limun.org/
1.206714 Germany http://mirror.devnu11.net/archlinux/
1.281882 Germany http://arch.mirrors.tuxdroid.org/
1.663009 Germany http://mirror.selfnet.de/archlinux/
1.714045 Germany http://mirrors.n-ix.net/archlinux/
1.893226 Germany ftp://arch.mirrors.tuxdroid.org/

I take it the object member "score" combines freshness.

clemens

Old 06-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Patrick Dupre

Hello,

On a fedora 16 (3.3.8-1.fc16.i686.PAE) I am experiencing update issue:
1) If I make install latex2rtf, it want to install
latex2rtf.i686 0:2.1.0-2.fc15
while there is a latex2rtf-2.2.0-2.fc16.i686.rpm
2) if I make yum update, nothing happens while there is a kernel to
update:

kernel-PAE-3.4.2-1.fc16.i686.rpm
3) yum update kernel-PAE
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
No Packages marked for Update

rpm -q kernel-PAE
kernel-PAE-3.3.6-3.fc16.i686
kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc16.i686
kernel-PAE-3.3.8-1.fc16.i686

Here is my /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo

[updates]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[updates-debuginfo]
name=Fedora $releasever - $basearch - Updates - Debug
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/$basearch/debug/
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-debug-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

[updates-source]
name=Fedora $releasever - Updates Source
failovermethod=priority
#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/$releasever/SRPMS/
mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-source-f$releasever&arch=$basearch
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-$basearch

and my /etc/yum/yum-updatesd.conf

[main]
# how often to check for new updates (in seconds)
run_interval = 3600
# how often to allow checking on request (in seconds)
updaterefresh = 600

# how to send notifications (valid: dbus, email, syslog)
emit_via = dbus
# should we listen via dbus to give out update information/check for
# new updates
dbus_listener = yes

# automatically install updates
do_update = no
# automatically download updates
do_download = no
# automatically download deps of updates
do_download_deps = no

Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 PM
Patrick Dupre

On 30.06.2012 01:33, Patrick Dupre wrote:

Hello,

On a fedora 16 (3.3.8-1.fc16.i686.PAE) I am experiencing update
issue:

1) If I make install latex2rtf, it want to install
latex2rtf.i686 0:2.1.0-2.fc15
while there is a latex2rtf-2.2.0-2.fc16.i686.rpm
2) if I make yum update, nothing happens while there is a kernel to
update:

kernel-PAE-3.4.2-1.fc16.i686.rpm
3) yum update kernel-PAE
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
No Packages marked for Update

rpm -q kernel-PAE
kernel-PAE-3.3.6-3.fc16.i686
kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc16.i686
kernel-PAE-3.3.8-1.fc16.i686

You need to run yum clean all then it is OK

Patrick DUPRÉ | | email: pdupre@kegtux.org