Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default kdm login background

Running KDE3 on Kubuntu 8.04.1 - I tried to change the background of the
login screen using System Settings - Advanced - Login Manager. Despite
giving sudo password and changing background etc. absolutely nothing
happens when I log out and back in....

Anyone have any idea as to why?

Sinclair

Old 07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
"Jonas Norlander"

2008/7/16 O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com>:
> Running KDE3 on Kubuntu 8.04.1 - I tried to change the background of the
> login screen using System Settings - Advanced - Login Manager. Despite
> giving sudo password and changing background etc. absolutely nothing
> happens when I log out and back in....
>
> Anyone have any idea as to why?
>
> Sinclair

Hi!

And have you restarted KDM/X?

/ Jonas

Old 07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 03:32:28 am O. Sinclair wrote:
> Running KDE3 on Kubuntu 8.04.1 - I tried to change the background of the
> login screen using System Settings - Advanced - Login Manager. Despite
> giving sudo password and changing background etc. absolutely nothing
> happens when I log out and back in....
>
> Anyone have any idea as to why?

Well, it could be the same problem my associate pastor had on his new 1525n;
he was changing the backgrounds in kdm but his machine was using gdm for the
login!! What does your current screen look like?

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 07-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Steven Vollom

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 July 2008 03:32:28 am O. Sinclair wrote:
>
>> Running KDE3 on Kubuntu 8.04.1 - I tried to change the background of the
>> login screen using System Settings - Advanced - Login Manager. Despite
>> giving sudo password and changing background etc. absolutely nothing
>> happens when I log out and back in....
>>
>> Anyone have any idea as to why?
>>

> Well, it could be the same problem my associate pastor had on his new 1525n;
> he was changing the backgrounds in kdm but his machine was using gdm for the
> login!! What does your current screen look like?

This is probably silly to ask, but did you click on 'Apply'?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:12 PM
lanzen

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 12:32:28 O. Sinclair wrote:

> Anyone have any idea as to why?

I think you need kcontrol to do that. At least it was like that some time ago.

--
lanzen

Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Pastor JW wrote:
>> On Wednesday 16 July 2008 03:32:28 am O. Sinclair wrote:
>>
>>> Running KDE3 on Kubuntu 8.04.1 - I tried to change the background of the
>>> login screen using System Settings - Advanced - Login Manager. Despite
>>> giving sudo password and changing background etc. absolutely nothing
>>> happens when I log out and back in....
>>>
>>> Anyone have any idea as to why?
>>>
>> Well, it could be the same problem my associate pastor had on his new 1525n;
>> he was changing the backgrounds in kdm but his machine was using gdm for the
>> login!! What does your current screen look like?
>>

> This is probably silly to ask, but did you click on 'Apply'?

yes I did - but all of a sudden things DID change after a couple of
reboots... gremlins in the computer I guess. Thanks for all assistance,

Sinclair

Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 AM
"O. Sinclair"

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>> Pastor JW wrote:

>>> Well, it could be the same problem my associate pastor had on his new 1525n;
>>> he was changing the backgrounds in kdm but his machine was using gdm for the
>>> login!! What does your current screen look like?
>>>

>> This is probably silly to ask, but did you click on 'Apply'?
>>
> yes I did - but all of a sudden things DID change after a couple of
> reboots... gremlins in the computer I guess. Thanks for all assistance,

Have to continue this thread - now I messed up so bad I want the
original Gutsy KDM login screen and background back - but HOW? I tried
just about every setting in Login Manager and none of them come close!

Sinclair

Old 07-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Sylviane et Perry White

On Friday 18 July 2008 11:11, O. Sinclair wrote:
> Have to continue this thread - now I messed up so bad I want the
> original Gutsy KDM login screen and background back - but HOW? I tried
> just about every setting in Login Manager and none of them come close!

I'm not a guru but in the case of a "bad" file in ~/.kde I would do the
following (standard magical cure) :
Rename ~/.kde to ~/.kde.bak and reboot (I belive there is a faster way than
reboot, perhaps logout of kde is enough but I'm unsure).
If that problem is still there, just replace the newly automagically created
~/.kde by your backup.
*Easy, isn't it?* For the diagnosis.

*If that problem is solved* you will want to restore your settings: inspect
what is in ~/.kde.bak...
you could probably guess by the name which files or folders are probably
unrelated and restore a great swab of them all at once (remember which one
you transferred, for example first move them in a new directory and after
that copy them to ~/.kde,
then reboot/test to make sure it's O.K.
(it is also,possible you can guess directly which file is involved)
If no O.K. revert back an restore less files.
With a patient and clever search you will zoom in the faulty file in a finite
number of trails (hope you know about "binary search"), 10 to sort out a
thousand files and only 20 for a million, so it will be lesst than 20 I
still know it will take you some time.

If you go this far as to identify the faluty file, please post the result
here.

HTH Perry

--
BOFH excuse #400: We are Microsoft. What you are experiencing is not a
problem; it is an undocumented feature.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:22 PM
John L Fjellstad

"O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> writes:

> Have to continue this thread - now I messed up so bad I want the
> original Gutsy KDM login screen and background back - but HOW? I tried
> just about every setting in Login Manager and none of them come close!

Edit the file
/etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc
change
Wallpaper[$e]=... *whatever you changed it to*
Wallpaper=default_blue.jpg

Make sure /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
contains the line
Theme=@@@ToBeReplacedByDesktopBase@@@

Restart kdm by typing sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
or reboot

--
John L. Fjellstad
web: http://www.fjellstad.org/ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Old 07-21-2008, 07:11 AM
"O. Sinclair"

John L Fjellstad wrote:
> "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Have to continue this thread - now I messed up so bad I want the
>> original Gutsy KDM login screen and background back - but HOW? I tried
>> just about every setting in Login Manager and none of them come close!
>
> Edit the file
> /etc/kde3/kdm/backgroundrc
> change
> Wallpaper[$e]=... *whatever you changed it to*
> Wallpaper=default_blue.jpg
>
> Make sure /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
> contains the line
> Theme=@@@ToBeReplacedByDesktopBase@@@
>
> Restart kdm by typing sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
> or reboot

Maybe I am not making myself clear: the background picture is not an
issue but the login picture with Kubuntu-logo. That has "gone missing"
and I can not find a way to get it back.

Regards
Sinclair