Old 07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
"John Pierce"

Default .ICEauthority file permissions

Hello list!

I have been using redhat/fedora for quite some time and now that I
have switched to kubuntu
I have found my distro of choice.

One small problem though.

I used to ssh into all of the machines on my local network and run yum
update from the command line
and apt-get update does not actually update the programs it just
fetches the packages.

If I run adept_updater from the shell with sudo then it changes the
ownership of the .DCOP* and .ICEauthority file
and my local user account then fails.

Any thoughts would be helpful

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at

Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Paul Lemmons

I have been using redhat/fedora for quite some time and now that I
have switched to kubuntu
I have found my distro of choice.

One small problem though.

I used to ssh into all of the machines on my local network and run yum
update from the command line
and apt-get update does not actually update the programs it just
fetches the packages.

If I run adept_updater from the shell with sudo then it changes the
ownership of the .DCOP* and .ICEauthority file
and my local user account then fails.

Any thoughts would be helpful

I ran into this the other day.

assuming your userid is "john":

sudo chown john:john ~/.ICEauthority

That should get you back in business then:

aptitude update To re-read the repositories and "update" local
catalog of updates

aptitude safe-upgrade To perform "safe" updates
aptitude full-upgrade To perform las safe updates
aptitude clean To clean up cache

I use aptitude instead of apt because it is smarter about reporting
conflicts and offers solutions. I don't really know the differentiating
factors that make an update "safe" or not. I do the two step process,
though, because someone somewhere (probably smarter than me) thought to
mark an update differently than "safe".

--
Sometimes I wonder. Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and breadth of it.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Pablo El Feo

Try
apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

update, update the package db, and upgrade downloads and upgrades all your
installed but upgradable packages.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Derek Broughton

John Pierce wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> I have been using redhat/fedora for quite some time and now that I
> have switched to kubuntu
> I have found my distro of choice.
>
> One small problem though.
>
> I used to ssh into all of the machines on my local network and run yum
> update from the command line
> and apt-get update does not actually update the programs it just
> fetches the packages.

No, it doesn't even do that. It updates the _list_ of available packages.

You need to use "sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude safe-upgrade"
(or "full-upgrade", depending. Read the man pages!).

> If I run adept_updater from the shell with sudo then it changes the
> ownership of the .DCOP* and .ICEauthority file
> and my local user account then fails.

Naturally. NEVER use sudo for GUI programs unless you know what you're
doing. Use kdesu (admittedly, if you run it without, you'll see it
says "use kdesu or sudo" - file a bug).
--
derek