Old 07-15-2008, 07:51 PM
Scott

Default Website monitoring tool

Hi,

is there any programs that can check my website every few minutes to
see if it is working and have something like a pop up when my site goes
down. I am using a free web host that goes down every now and then and
would like alerts on my desktop when this happens.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Old 07-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 15 July 2008, Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ********is there any programs that can check my website every few minutes
> to see if it is working and have something like a pop up when my site goes
> down. *I am using a free web host that goes down every now and then and
> would like alerts on my desktop when this happens.

I would think you could write a script using wget. Check for something
retrieved (or not). If not, raise a flag.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Jay Chandler

On Jul 15, 2008, at 12:51 PM, Scott wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any programs that can check my website every few minutes to
> see if it is working and have something like a pop up when my site
> goes
> down. I am using a free web host that goes down every now and then
> and
> would like alerts on my desktop when this happens.

I'm a fan of Nagios, though it requires some pretty gnarly
configuration at times.

It emails by default, though you could set it to trigger a window
event fairly easily.

--Jay