FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Jeffrey Barish
 
Default No automount for USB devices

Since I installed 8.04, connecting a USB memory device (such as a music
player) does not trigger an automount. I used to get a dialog confirming
the action I want to take and then an icon on my desktop. Now nothing
happens. I found Storage Media in Control Center. For medium type
unmounted removable medium, the action is open in new window (auto action).
Seems like the right thing. Any idea what's wrong?
--
Jeffrey Barish


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Donn
 
Default No automount for USB devices

On Tuesday, 15 July 2008 02:47:30 Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> Since I installed 8.04, connecting a USB memory device (such as a music
> player) does not trigger an automount. I used to get a dialog confirming
Eek! I hope it's not a problem with drivers being left out of Hardy or
something wrong with your hardware.

You can get an idea of what's going on by using:
dmesg

Type that on the command line and scroll around looking for usb messages. Plug
in your device and then type it.

I get stuff like this:
[186163.592000] usb 2-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
5
[186163.724000] usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[186163.724000] scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[186163.724000] usb-storage: device found at 5
[186163.724000] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[186168.724000] usb-storage: device scan complete
[186171.800000] scsi 4:0:0:0: Direct-Access T.sonic 310
PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS
[186171.800000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 2039296 512-byte hardware sectors (1044 MB)
[186171.804000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[186171.804000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[186171.804000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[186171.808000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] 2039296 512-byte hardware sectors (1044 MB)
[186171.812000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[186171.812000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
[186171.812000] sd 4:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through
[186171.812000] sda: sda1

Which shows the device ends up on /dev/sda1, if you get stuff like this then
there's a chance things can be fixed. If not then your system is plain not
seeing the usb.

hthal,
d

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Jeffrey Barish
 
Default No automount for USB devices

Donn wrote:

> On Tuesday, 15 July 2008 02:47:30 Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>> Since I installed 8.04, connecting a USB memory device (such as a music
>> player) does not trigger an automount. I used to get a dialog confirming
> Eek! I hope it's not a problem with drivers being left out of Hardy or
> something wrong with your hardware.
>
> You can get an idea of what's going on by using:
> dmesg

I don't think it's drivers. dmesg says:

[506197.026853] usb-storage: device found at 18
[506197.026859] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[506202.017403] usb-storage: device scan complete
[506202.018764] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access Generic STORAGE DEVICE
9228 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
[506205.094846] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
[506205.094925] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0

I tried mounting /dev/sdc, but I get "No medium found".
--
Jeffrey Barish


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-16-2008, 07:36 AM
"Jonas Norlander"
 
Default No automount for USB devices

2008/7/16 Jeffrey Barish <jeff_barish@earthlink.net>:
> Donn wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, 15 July 2008 02:47:30 Jeffrey Barish wrote:
>>> Since I installed 8.04, connecting a USB memory device (such as a music
>>> player) does not trigger an automount. I used to get a dialog confirming
>> Eek! I hope it's not a problem with drivers being left out of Hardy or
>> something wrong with your hardware.
>>
>> You can get an idea of what's going on by using:
>> dmesg
>
> I don't think it's drivers. dmesg says:
>
> [506197.026853] usb-storage: device found at 18
> [506197.026859] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> [506202.017403] usb-storage: device scan complete
> [506202.018764] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access Generic STORAGE DEVICE
> 9228 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
> [506205.094846] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
> [506205.094925] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
>
> I tried mounting /dev/sdc, but I get "No medium found".
> --
> Jeffrey Barish
>

hi!

Ether you didn't pasted the whole output or there is something wrong.
There is no output about the size of the media or any partitions like
in Donns. In most case you don't mount /dev/sdc there should be a
/dev/sdc1 partition you mount instead. Do you have a /dev/sdc1 device?

/ Jonas

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Donn
 
Default No automount for USB devices

Jeffrey,
> [506197.026853] usb-storage: device found at 18
> [506197.026859] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> [506202.017403] usb-storage: device scan complete
> [506202.018764] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access Generic STORAGE DEVICE
> 9228 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
> [506205.094846] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
> [506205.094925] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
>
> I tried mounting /dev/sdc, but I get "No medium found".
Yeah -- this sounds like your usb stick/thing has no filesystem or
partitions... If you don't mind experimenting with it then you can create
those.

If it's a music player the chances are it expects a FAT16 (msdos) file system.
If it's a memory stick that you want to use only with Linux (and maybe Mac)
then you can go with an ext3 file system.

*Beware* You can toast your usb device if you don't research it and work
carefully. I have one stick that I killed that way

Try these:
1. At the command line type [fdisk -l /dev/sdc]
Here's an example from my pc:
Disk /dev/hdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xbfbaecdd

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hdc1 1 60801 488384001 83 Linux

This shows an ext3 (83) fs on my drive - one big partition.

2. You can create a partition by using fdisk (try man fdisk) -- I don't have
time right now to explain further.

3. After that you create a fs by [mkfs.msdos] or [mkfs.ext3] on the sdc1
device that will exists after fdisk does it's job.

IHTH, a bit rushed, sorry,
d

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Jeffrey Barish
 
Default No automount for USB devices

Donn wrote:

> Jeffrey,
>> [506197.026853] usb-storage: device found at 18
>> [506197.026859] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>> [506202.017403] usb-storage: device scan complete
>> [506202.018764] scsi 5:0:0:0: Direct-Access Generic STORAGE DEVICE
>> 9228 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
>> [506205.094846] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI removable disk
>> [506205.094925] sd 5:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg3 type 0
>>
>> I tried mounting /dev/sdc, but I get "No medium found".
> Yeah -- this sounds like your usb stick/thing has no filesystem or
> partitions... If you don't mind experimenting with it then you can create
> those.
>
> If it's a music player the chances are it expects a FAT16 (msdos) file
> system. If it's a memory stick that you want to use only with Linux (and
> maybe Mac) then you can go with an ext3 file system.

The memory cards come from devices (a camera and a music player) in which
they work fine, so they do have a filesystem on them. They have data on
them that I need, so I can't reformat them. There is no /dev/sdc1.

I found a memory card that mostly works. It triggers the query as to which
application I want to use, I wind up with /dev/sdc1 mounted on /media/disk,
but I do not get an icon on the desktop.

Ah, you know what it is? One of my card readers does not support the 4GB SD
cards I am using.

I restarted the desktop. The next time I plugged in the card reader, I got
a message that ~/Desktop was not a directory (although it was). I allowed
KDE to create a new ~/Desktop, at which point I did get an icon for the
flash drive. All problems solved. Thanks for the support.
--
Jeffrey Barish


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org