Old 07-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default Yum-like package list?

On Monday 14 July 2008, G. A. Gallup wrote:
> Greeting All,
> * * I recently switched to KUBUNTU from FCn and have been quite *
> pleased with the new system. *One thing I miss, however, is the yum *
> 'list' feature to produce a searchable file of package names for *
> installation or up-date. *Is there an equivalent for this in KUBUNTU? *
> I have found the adept-installer search feature too primitive to be *
> useful.
> GAG

The Adept Package Manager doesn't suit you??

Gee, I came from the SuSE world and I find adept much better (and one heckava
lot faster) than Yum.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Donn

> 'list' feature to produce a searchable file of package names for
aptitude search blah
or
aptitude search ~d"text in descriptions"
(which is the weirdest cli param I have ever seen!)

or
apt-cache search blah | grep -i something

hth

Old 07-14-2008, 01:48 PM

Hi,

I'm new to Linux. And am using Kubuntu. I've been using the Synaptic Package Manager instead of Adept. I found Synaptic easier.

But, now that this email is about Yum and Adept I'd like to confirm that using Synaptic in Kubuntu is OK. Or am I suppose to use Adept with Kubuntu?

And while on the subject of package managers; if I've been using Synaptic for a few months could I try Adept or will switching package managers mess up the system?

Thank you.

Brian

Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday 14 July 2008, B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to Linux. *And am using Kubuntu. I've been using the Synaptic
> Package Manager instead of Adept. *I found Synaptic easier. *
>
> But, now that this email is about Yum and Adept I'd like to confirm that
> using Synaptic in Kubuntu is OK. *Or am I suppose to use Adept with
> Kubuntu?
>
> And while on the subject of package managers; if I've been using Synaptic
> for a few months could I try Adept or will switching package managers mess
> up the system?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Brian

You can use any of the pkg managers without messing things.

Adept
Synaptic
Aptitude
Apt-get
Dpkg

and there's probably more.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:00 PM
"Phil Bieber"

Old 07-14-2008, 02:22 PM
"G. A. Gallup"

Yes, this works if you know 'blah'. However, my initial install
(x86-64) would not run dynamically linked 32-bit apps. Is there any
way to know the package name to install is 'ia32-libs'? Google
finally told, but I couldn't figure out how to make the KUNBUNTU
system tell me this.
GAG

Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
"G. A. Gallup"

Synaptic was recommended to me, but it won't run without the gtk
libraries. My initial install (x86-64) didn't have them. What is the
scheme for finding out the package name here.
GAG

Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Billie Walsh

On 07/14/2008 G. A. Gallup wrote:
> I have found the adept-installer search feature too primitive to be
> useful.
> GAG

I came from OpenSuSE. I find Adept to be at least as good or better than
Yast/Yum. I have no problem finding the package I'm looking for. Of
course the package has to be in the repositories that you are using.

Any search depends on the users input to find something. Ask the wrong
question and you get the wrong answer. It might be the right answer for
the question, but not what your looking for.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Art Alexion

Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Art Alexion