-   -   Good ol' Flash player problems on 8.04.1 amd64 with kubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/123716-good-ol-flash-player-problems-8-04-1-amd64-kubuntu.html)

"Gerald I. Evenden" 07-12-2008 09:56 PM

Good ol' Flash player problems on 8.04.1 amd64 with kubuntu

Browsing though the [k]ubunto web pages I do not find anything beyond 7.x
dealing with getting Adobe's Flash onto Firefox, etc.. Does one follow the
instructions for Dapper or what? The web is getting slightly dated.

I wish Adobe would stop being such an a--hole and get a 64 machine going. It
shouldn't be that tough.

A minor unrelated complaint is giving "names" to the various released. Just
plain old 1.2.3 thank-you.

Thanks for any comments on the flash player problem.

"Jussi Schultink" 07-12-2008 11:39 PM

On 7/13/08, Gerald I. Evenden <geraldi.evenden@gmail.com> wrote:
> Browsing though the [k]ubunto web pages I do not find anything beyond 7.x
> dealing with getting Adobe's Flash onto Firefox, etc.. Does one follow the
> instructions for Dapper or what? The web is getting slightly dated.
>
> I wish Adobe would stop being such an a--hole and get a 64 machine going. It
> shouldn't be that tough.
>
> A minor unrelated complaint is giving "names" to the various released. Just
> plain old 1.2.3 thank-you.
>
> Thanks for any comments on the flash player problem.

From the Ubuntu-devel list:

"Since there doesn't seem to be a policy defined anywhere on how to
deal with regressions in backports, I figured it wouldn't hurt to send
an e-mail to ubuntu-devel to help ensure the proper folks can take
action.The recent flashplugin-nonfree backport causes Firefox to
become unstable as the plugin is causing a crash when users visit a
number of popular websites that take advantage of the technology. This
renders some websites competely inaccessible and users who frequent
primarily websites that use flash may find their ability to do so
almost completely crippled although due to the popularity of flash
ads, banners, and widgets, almost all users will experience frequent
crashes regardless of their browsing habits.

The master bug report can be found at
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/flashplugin-nonfree/+bug/247682

Anyhow, I suppose the first step is blocking the update and getting a
fix out. After, we can look at how this happened and what we need to
do to reduce the risk of something similiar occuring again.

Cheers,

--
Cody A.W. Somerville"

Hope this helps

Jussi Schultink

"Jussi Schultink" 07-12-2008 11:44 PM

On 7/13/08, Jussi Schultink <jussi01@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 7/13/08, Gerald I. Evenden <geraldi.evenden@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Browsing though the [k]ubunto web pages I do not find anything beyond 7.x
> > dealing with getting Adobe's Flash onto Firefox, etc.. Does one follow the
> > instructions for Dapper or what? The web is getting slightly dated.
> >
> > I wish Adobe would stop being such an a--hole and get a 64 machine going. It
> > shouldn't be that tough.
> >
> > A minor unrelated complaint is giving "names" to the various released. Just
> > plain old 1.2.3 thank-you.
> >
> > Thanks for any comments on the flash player problem.

Seems I didnt read your problem correctly, but anyway, the info may be
useful. For installing flash on a 64 bit machine, take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxAMD64FlashJava

BR

Jussi

"Jonas Norlander" 07-13-2008 08:12 AM

2008/7/12 Gerald I. Evenden <geraldi.evenden@gmail.com>:
> Browsing though the [k]ubunto web pages I do not find anything beyond 7.x
> dealing with getting Adobe's Flash onto Firefox, etc.. Does one follow the
> instructions for Dapper or what? The web is getting slightly dated.
>
> I wish Adobe would stop being such an a--hole and get a 64 machine going. It
> shouldn't be that tough.
>
> A minor unrelated complaint is giving "names" to the various released. Just
> plain old 1.2.3 thank-you.
>
> Thanks for any comments on the flash player problem.
>
> --
> The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due
> to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.
> -- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939) British psychologist

Hi!

As of Kubuntu Hardy (running 64 bit) it worked "out of box" for me
with flash, java, realmedia and windows media in firefox, perhaps
that's why you don't see any info above 7.x.

/Jonas

"G. A. Gallup" 07-13-2008 12:40 PM

Good ol' Flash player problems on 8.04.1 amd64 with kubuntu

In Kubuntu 8.04 on my HP AMD 64-bit desktop, the standard 'add/remove'
button in the menu brings up adept-installer. In the 'Others' section
there is a lines for installing 'Macromedia Flash Player' plugin for
Firefox. Is this what is wanted? It worked fine for me.
GAG

"Gerald I. Evenden" 07-13-2008 02:45 PM

On Sunday 13 July 2008 8:40:31 am G. A. Gallup wrote:
> In Kubuntu 8.04 on my HP AMD 64-bit desktop, the standard 'add/remove'
> button in the menu brings up adept-installer. In the 'Others' section
> there is a lines for installing 'Macromedia Flash Player' plugin for
> Firefox. Is this what is wanted? It worked fine for me.
> GAG

There was also the reply

> As of Kubuntu Hardy (running 64 bit) it worked "out of box" for me
> with flash, java, realmedia and windows media in firefox, perhaps
> that's why you don't see any info above 7.x.
>
> /Jonas

I followed the first suggestion and installed 'Macromedia Flash Player'
plugin' and then ran Firefox on youtube: still nothing and a message "get the
latest ..."

BTW: when I first installed Firefox I used adept and the version 3 selection.