Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 PM
"Brian Parma"

Default Automatic reconnect to wireless network

Hey,

* I've been using Kubuntu for a little while now, but I recently set up a new media box for my TV.* Since I didn't want to run cables across the living room, I decided to give wireless a try.* It's been a long time since I tried to get wireless working in linux, so I was surprised at how easy it was.* The only problem I am having is that on occasion the wireless will go down and then come back up.* When the wireless first goes down, the linux box tries to reconnect but is unable (since the wireless is down) so it gives up.* When the wireless comes back up it doesn't reconnect automatically.* If I go to the desktop, right click on knetworkmanager, and click on my network it connects fine, but as this is a media PC I want to be able to remotely access it from my other boxes.* Having to go out and reconnect it manually so frequently is extremely annoying.

I've tried searching for help on this topic for a few days but I could not find anything specifically addressing this problem (maybe I'm just bad at searching).* All the topics I found were about automatically connecting on boot (which works fine).* Is there anyone that knows of a utility or setting that I could use to fix this?*

I'm using the latest Kubuntu with KNetworkmanager.

Thanks

Old 07-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Knapp

[...]

Could you just set up a cron task to check the network every so often and if not connected then try?

--

Douglas E Knapp

Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
"Brian Parma"

[...]

I suppose if there's no easier way I could try that (I've never messed with cron so i'll have to do some reading ).* I was just hoping there was a easy, user-friendly way to do it (it's ubuntu afterall ).

Old 07-13-2008, 04:12 PM
"Brian Parma"

[...]

I'm still lost...

I've looked at some cron stuff, looks easy enough to use, but I can't seem to find any information on how to check/activate knetworkmanager using the command line.*

According to nm-tool, my wireless device even detects the wireless network when it comes online, but it doesn't seem to want to automatically activate the device.* Right clicking on the tray icon and clicking on the network activates it, but is there a command to activate it? Or better, a way to make NetworkManager auto-activate it?

Brian

Old 07-14-2008, 06:40 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Brian Parma wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Brian Parma <execrable@gmail.com
> <mailto:execrable@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Knapp <magick.crow@gmail.com
> <mailto:magick.crow@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Brian Parma
> <execrable@gmail.com <mailto:execrable@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hey,
>
> I've been using Kubuntu for a little while now, but I
> recently set up a new media box for my TV. Since I didn't
> want to run cables across the living room, I decided to give
> wireless a try. It's been a long time since I tried to get
> wireless working in linux, so I was surprised at how easy it
> was. The only problem I am having is that on occasion the
> wireless will go down and then come back up. When the
> wireless first goes down, the linux box tries to reconnect
> but is unable (since the wireless is down) so it gives up.
> When the wireless comes back up it doesn't reconnect
> automatically. If I go to the desktop, right click on
> knetworkmanager, and click on my network it connects fine,
> but as this is a media PC I want to be able to remotely
> access it from my other boxes. Having to go out and
> reconnect it manually so frequently is extremely annoying.
>
> I've tried searching for help on this topic for a few days
> but I could not find anything specifically addressing this
> problem (maybe I'm just bad at searching). All the topics I
> found were about automatically connecting on boot (which
> works fine). Is there anyone that knows of a utility or
> setting that I could use to fix this?
>
> I'm using the latest Kubuntu with KNetworkmanager.
>
> Thanks
>

> Could you just set up a cron task to check the network every so
> often and if not connected then try?
>

> --
> Douglas E Knapp
>
> http://sf-journey-creations.wikispot.org/Front_Page
>

> I suppose if there's no easier way I could try that (I've never
> messed with cron so i'll have to do some reading ). I was just
> hoping there was a easy, user-friendly way to do it (it's ubuntu
> afterall ).
>

> I'm still lost...
>
> I've looked at some cron stuff, looks easy enough to use, but I can't
> seem to find any information on how to check/activate knetworkmanager
> using the command line.
>
> According to nm-tool, my wireless device even detects the wireless
> network when it comes online, but it doesn't seem to want to
> automatically activate the device. Right clicking on the tray icon and
> clicking on the network activates it, but is there a command to activate
> it? Or better, a way to make NetworkManager auto-activate it?

what wireless card are you using? There is a known problem with the
driver for Intel 3945ABG (I think that is the correct model) that
behaves the way you describe.

Sinclair

Old 07-14-2008, 03:39 PM
"Brian Parma"

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 11:40 PM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

Brian Parma wrote:

> [...]

> * * messed with cron so i'll have to do some reading ). *I was just

> * * hoping there was a easy, user-friendly way to do it (it's ubuntu

> * * afterall ).

> I'm still lost...

> I've looked at some cron stuff, looks easy enough to use, but I can't

> seem to find any information on how to check/activate knetworkmanager

> using the command line.

> According to nm-tool, my wireless device even detects the wireless

> network when it comes online, but it doesn't seem to want to

> automatically activate the device. *Right clicking on the tray icon and

> clicking on the network activates it, but is there a command to activate

> it? Or better, a way to make NetworkManager auto-activate it?

what wireless card are you using? There is a known problem with the

driver for Intel 3945ABG (I think that is the correct model) that

According to nm-tool the driver is rt61pci (EDIMAX EW-7128G card).* Again, other than automatically activating when my wireless network goes up (except after booting), everything about the card works just fine.

Brian

Old 07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
"Brian Parma"

Brian Parma wrote:

> [...]

> seem to find any information on how to check/activate knetworkmanager

> using the command line.

> According to nm-tool, my wireless device even detects the wireless

> network when it comes online, but it doesn't seem to want to

> automatically activate the device. *Right clicking on the tray icon and

> clicking on the network activates it, but is there a command to activate

> it? Or better, a way to make NetworkManager auto-activate it?

what wireless card are you using? There is a known problem with the

driver for Intel 3945ABG (I think that is the correct model) that

behaves the way you describe.

Sinclair

According to nm-tool the driver is rt61pci (EDIMAX EW-7128G card).* Again, other than automatically activating when my wireless network goes up (except after booting), everything about the card works just fine.

So no one has had this problem?* It seems like a pretty unacceptable problem for any box that won't normally have a monitor/keyboard setup.* I'd really like to fix this so I don't have to switch it to M$.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Donn

I have noticed (on my laptop) that if I have eth0 active, my wireless does not
work or goes down or hangs the machine. I deactivated eth0 and all is well.

ifconfig eth0 down

Also remove it from the /etc/network/interfaces file (or just remark it out).

That might help. I hope.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Derek Broughton

Donn wrote:

> I have noticed (on my laptop) that if I have eth0 active, my wireless does
> not work or goes down or hangs the machine. I deactivated eth0 and all is
> well.
>
> ifconfig eth0 down
>
> Also remove it from the /etc/network/interfaces file (or just remark it
> out).

This is true. Network manager doesn't understand the use of multiple
concurrent interfaces
--
derek

Old 07-18-2008, 05:10 PM
Donn

On Friday, 18 July 2008 18:47:19 Derek Broughton wrote:
> This is true. *Network manager doesn't understand the use of multiple
> concurrent interfaces
Does 'network manager' mean a gui thing (my laptop runs Ubuntu) or is it some
lower-level thing? It seems weird that it can't handle eth0 and wireless at
the same time -- even Windoze can do it!