Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM
mf h

Default kubuntu & unbuntu

I am trying to install kubuntu on a laptop computer made by www.uniwill.com The computer is a U50SI1 which I gather appears on their web site as a U40!

*

I had problems so I cam across an article that said install unbuntu first.

*

so, I tried that.

*

unbuntu 8.04 hung in the middle of some acpi messages

*

*

ubuntu 7.04 & 6.10 got further; they both see, to seem to be having problems with the SIS *5513 IDE controller.

*

The exact place I get to in the sequence is random, which seems to be a consequence of this controller if I understand what the web is saying. It also seems to be starting up the USB controller & I get a number of USB messages, none of which look wrong to me.

*

I have tried adding a range of boot params such as

*

all-generic-ide

*

pci=noacpi

*

noapic

*

*

which I have had suggested by various boot sequences; none of these seem to have any effect.

*

*

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-634063.html suggests that there is a kernel fix, but I am too much of a kubuntu novice to understand the solution if there is one.

*

Help greatly appreciated as my daughter needs kubuntu for her university course

Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now

Old 07-12-2008, 09:20 PM
alan c

mf h wrote:
> I am trying to install kubuntu on a laptop computer made by www.uniwill.com The computer is a U50SI1 which I gather appears on their web site as a U40!
>

> I had problems so I cam across an article that said install unbuntu first.
>
> so, I tried that.
>
> unbuntu 8.04 hung in the middle of some acpi messages
>

> ubuntu 7.04 & 6.10 got further; they both see, to seem to be having problems with the SIS 5513 IDE controller.
>
> The exact place I get to in the sequence is random, which seems to be a consequence of this controller if I understand what the web is saying. It also seems to be starting up the USB controller & I get a number of USB messages, none of which look wrong to me.
>
> I have tried adding a range of boot params such as
>
> all-generic-ide
>
> pci=noacpi
>
> noapic
>

> which I have had suggested by various boot sequences; none of these seem to have any effect.
>

> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-634063.html suggests that there is a kernel fix, but I am too much of a kubuntu novice to understand the solution if there is one.
>
> Help greatly appreciated as my daughter needs kubuntu for her university course

I cannot help directly here, sorry. However, if you do not get a fast
answer you might like to consider using the ubuntu forums also:
http://ubuntuforums.org/
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391