Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM
"Gerald I. Evenden"

Default Problems with 8.04.1

I just installed a downloaded DVD of Kubuntu 8.04.1 amd64 to replace my
outdated Dapper. *The installation was a little ragged but managed on the
last run to get to 96% and a statement that it was removing unnecessary file
and then it just went into hyperspace. *Hitting the power button caused a
GRUB boot into the new system and everything seemed to work *... up to a
point.

One can do a "gcc hello.c" but gcc can't find the stdio.h header file. *In
fact, the /usr/include directory is nearly empty.

I cannot find anything related to C or compilers on adept.

I am totally clueless on how to get my bread-and-butter software up and
running!

Oh yes, I cannot find a damned thing related to the TeX system on adept
either.

There are other lesser issues like where is ccat (encryption stuff), etc.,
that was part of basic Dapper instalation?

Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 PM
"Juan Kawada"

I may be completely off on this, but I don't think it's necessary to include any preprocessor directives like stdio.h, but just iostream, etc. At least this was my experience with c++, and I haven't used c on linux yet.

Did you make sure to install* gcc, and all of the dependencies?

I've been using KATE (with the embedded terminal window) in conjunction with g++ for programming.

I wish I could try to help you with the other problems, but right now I'm at work on windows...

Old 07-11-2008, 05:58 PM
chuck adams

On Friday 11 July 2008 09:44:44 Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> I just installed a downloaded DVD of Kubuntu 8.04.1 amd64 to replace my
> outdated Dapper. *The installation was a little ragged but managed on the
> last run to get to 96% and a statement that it was removing unnecessary
> file and then it just went into hyperspace. *Hitting the power button
> caused a GRUB boot into the new system and everything seemed to work *...
> up to a point.
>
> One can do a "gcc hello.c" but gcc can't find the stdio.h header file. *In
> fact, the /usr/include directory is nearly empty.
>
> I cannot find anything related to C or compilers on adept.
>
> I am totally clueless on how to get my bread-and-butter software up and
> running!
>
> Oh yes, I cannot find a damned thing related to the TeX system on adept
> either.
>
> There are other lesser issues like where is ccat (encryption stuff), etc.,
> that was part of basic Dapper instalation?
> --
> The whole religious complexion of the modern world is due
> to the absence from Jerusalem of a lunatic asylum.
> -- Havelock Ellis (1859-1939) British psychologist

I'm with you. I filed a bug report on the missing stdio.h and got back
an email that stdio.h was not a requirement for gcc. duh.....

Here is some of what I do to get gcc and latex up and running. You can
do this through the adept manager....

sudo apt-get install libc6
sudo apt-get install libc6-dev
" texlive-base
texlive-base-bin
texlive-common
texlive-doc-base
texlive-fonts-extra
texlive-fonts-recommended
texlive-fonts-recommended-doc
texlive-latex-base
texlive-latex-recommended
texlive-latex-extra
texlive-pictures
texlive-pictures-doc

and there is probably more. But at least the above will get you started.

Hope this helps.

Kubuntu/Ubuntu is the only distribution that I know of that installs gcc
but leaves out stdio.h

FYI

chuck

--
chuck adams, k7qo
k7qo@commspeed.net

Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Nils Kassube

Gerald I. Evenden wrote:
> I just installed a downloaded DVD of Kubuntu 8.04.1 amd64 to replace my
> outdated Dapper. *The installation was a little ragged but managed on
> the last run to get to 96% and a statement that it was removing
> unnecessary file and then it just went into hyperspace. *Hitting the
> power button caused a GRUB boot into the new system and everything
> seemed to work *... up to a point.
>
> One can do a "gcc hello.c" but gcc can't find the stdio.h header file.
> *In fact, the /usr/include directory is nearly empty.

Install package "build-essential" and you can compile simple programs. For
more complicated things you will need extra development packages. The
names of these development packages are those ending with "-dev" - which
development packages you need depends on the libraries you want to use.

Nils