Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 AM
David Fletcher

Default Virtualbox with latest kernel - Gutsy

I was having a play with installing XP under virtualbox, running on
Gutsy, last night.

I found that it won't work with the latest kernel, but does work with
the latest-1. Sorry I'm at work now and can't remember all the version numbers.

Bruce Marshall posted a tip on 25th June about rebuilding vboxdrv by using:-
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
to recompile the driver against new kernels. I tried this and it
won't work. Looking at the contents of /etc/init.d/vboxdrv I found a
comment that somebody has removed the setup function especially for
us (k)ubuntu users. Thanks.

Can anybody please tell how to sort this out, or point me to
somewhere where it's already documented?

Thanks.

Dave

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Nils Kassube

David Fletcher wrote:
> Bruce Marshall posted a tip on 25th June about rebuilding vboxdrv by
> using:- /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
> to recompile the driver against new kernels. I tried this and it
> won't work. Looking at the contents of /etc/init.d/vboxdrv I found a
> comment that somebody has removed the setup function especially for
> us (k)ubuntu users. Thanks.

You could download the original version of VirtualBox (www.virtualbox.org)
or I could send you a working version of the file.

Nils

Old 07-11-2008, 01:12 PM
David Fletcher

If it's of use to anybody else, I got the procedure I needed from another
source:-

sudo apt-get -y install virtualbox-ose-source build-essential
module-assistant
sudo m-a build virtualbox-ose
sudo m-a install virtualbox-ose
sudo modprobe vboxdrv

But before the install stage would work I had to
sudo aptitude remove virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
sudo aptitude install virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.22-15-generic

and then
sudo aptitude install virtualbox

because the first step removed it due to dependency I guess.

Anyway, XP is now sitting on another desktop installing 71 updates during
shutdown.

Dave

Old 07-11-2008, 05:40 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday 11 July 2008, David Fletcher wrote:
> I was having a play with installing XP under virtualbox, running on
> Gutsy, last night.
>
> I found that it won't work with the latest kernel, but does work with
> the latest-1. Sorry I'm at work now and can't remember all the version
> numbers.
>
> Bruce Marshall posted a tip on 25th June about rebuilding vboxdrv by
> using:- /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
> to recompile the driver against new kernels. I tried this and it
> won't work. Looking at the contents of /etc/init.d/vboxdrv I found a
> comment that somebody has removed the setup function especially for
> us (k)ubuntu users. Thanks.
>
> Can anybody please tell how to sort this out, or point me to
> somewhere where it's already documented?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave

It's working fine on this kernel:

2.6.24-19-generic

And vboxdrv setup worked fine too.

As far as I know, that's the latest kernel.

Have you downloaded a new version of vbox yet? I'm running the one that you
get from Sun.

www.virtualbox.org