Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Kubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/)
-   -   Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/122552-trying-remove-samba-gg-wants-remove-kubuntu-desktop.html)

Nigel Henry 07-10-2008 04:53 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba, and
being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic, and check
remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and smbclient are
going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient being removed, but
why the hell does removing samba, also want to remove my desktop.

On the face of it, it looks I've got to put up with samba being installed,
unless I want to lose my desktop.

Any suggestions folks?

Some workaround perhaps, where I can block updates for samba.

Thanks for any help on this annoying problem.

Nigel.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 07-10-2008 05:09 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Nigel Henry wrote:
> Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
> and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
> and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
> smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
> remove my desktop.

You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
needed to install the desktop.


Nils


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 07-10-2008 05:18 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Nigel Henry wrote:

> Well this is a bit weird.

Not at all...

> I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba, and
> being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic, and
> check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
> smbclient are going to be removed.

Naturally...

> Now I've no problems with smbclient
> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to remove
> my desktop.

It's _not_ your desktop. It's the kubuntu-desktop metapackage. The
*-desktop packages depend on all the standard elements of that desktop,
therefore removing any standard component of your chosen desktop will force
it to remove the metapackage. No big deal (except that the version update
process is predicated on the existence of the desktop package, and will
either not work or will _reinstall_ kubuntu-desktop - I can't remember
which).
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"Willy K. Hamra" 07-10-2008 05:19 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
>> Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
>> and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
>> and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
>> smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
>> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
>> remove my desktop.
>
> You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
> package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
> needed to install the desktop.
>
>
> Nils
>
>
if kubuntu-desktop got removed, and he ran apt-get (or any other package
program), won't he get a huge list of kubuntu-dekstop dependencies that
were installed and are no longer needed, and would suggest he run
"apt-get autoremove" to remove them? as far as i know, whenever i want
to remove a program and all it's packages i remove the meta-package, and
run "sudo apt-get autoremove". and maybe i'm wrong :)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems
Co. Manager of Zeina Computer & Billy Net
--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nigel Henry 07-10-2008 05:31 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:09, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
> > and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
> > and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
> > smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
> > being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
> > remove my desktop.
>
> You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
> package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
> needed to install the desktop.
>
>
> Nils

Apologies for my paranoia. I seriously thought that I was going to lose the
desktop. The only thing installed now is libsmbclient, and updated, but I'll
soon get rid of that.

Thanks for your help, and quick reply.

Nigel.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nils Kassube 07-10-2008 05:48 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program.
> > The package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all
> > packages needed to install the desktop.
>
> if kubuntu-desktop got removed, and he ran apt-get (or any other
> package program), won't he get a huge list of kubuntu-dekstop
> dependencies that were installed and are no longer needed, and would
> suggest he run "apt-get autoremove" to remove them? as far as i know,
> whenever i want to remove a program and all it's packages i remove the
> meta-package, and run "sudo apt-get autoremove". and maybe i'm wrong :)

While this may be true (I never tested it), you are not forced to
use "sudo apt-get autoremove".


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

"O. Sinclair" 07-10-2008 05:56 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Nils Kassube wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
>> Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
>> and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
>> and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
>> smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
>> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
>> remove my desktop.
>
> You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
> package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
> needed to install the desktop.
>
I would be careful on the removal of kubuntu-desktop package. Yes it is
supposed to be without problems but I have had weird consequences from
doing that before. These days I rather use aptitude from command-line to
remove, it normally allows you to leave kubuntu-desktop.

Sinclair

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Nigel Henry 07-10-2008 06:33 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:31, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:09, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
> > > and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
> > > and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
> > > smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
> > > being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
> > > remove my desktop.
> >
> > You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
> > package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
> > needed to install the desktop.
> >
> >
> > Nils
>
> Apologies for my paranoia. I seriously thought that I was going to lose the
> desktop. The only thing installed now is libsmbclient, and updated, but
> I'll soon get rid of that.
>
> Thanks for your help, and quick reply.
>
> Nigel.

I may have been a bit hasty, when I said, regarding libsmbclient "I'll soon
get rid of that".

In Synaptic, selecting "Mark for Complete Removal" for libsmbclient, it wants
to remove the following packages.
amarok
amarok-xine
digicam
kaffeine
kaffeine-xine
kdebase-kio-plugins
kmail
kmailcvt
kmplayer-base
kmplayer-konq-plugins
konq-plugins
konqueror
konqueror-nsplugins
kontact
kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts
libxine1
mozilla-mplayer
mplayer
and last but not least
strigi-applet (whatever that is)

Needless to say, I havn't agreed to these removals, and think that it may be
best to leave libsmbclient installed, as I don't want to lose a load of
music/media apps, along with a bunch of other stuff.

It is all a bit bizarre though. Why should removing a library "libsmbclient",
which is a library that samba uses for file sharing between linux, and
windows machines, want to remove a whole bunch of music/media apps, as some
sort of dependencies.

Very puzzled.

Nigel.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 07-10-2008 07:31 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Willy K. Hamra wrote:

> Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Nigel Henry wrote:
>>> Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need Samba,
>>> and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open synaptic,
>>> and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that kubuntu-desktop, and
>>> smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no problems with smbclient
>>> being removed, but why the hell does removing samba, also want to
>>> remove my desktop.
>>
>> You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program. The
>> package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all packages
>> needed to install the desktop.
>>
> if kubuntu-desktop got removed, and he ran apt-get (or any other package
> program), won't he get a huge list of kubuntu-dekstop dependencies that
> were installed and are no longer needed, and would suggest he run
> "apt-get autoremove" to remove them?

No idea - I haven't used apt-get since aptitude came along, and apt-get
never used to do that sort of thing - but it doesn't happen with aptitude.

> as far as i know, whenever i want
> to remove a program and all it's packages i remove the meta-package, and
> run "sudo apt-get autoremove". and maybe i'm wrong :)

It must handle implicit removal of a meta-package by removing a dependent
automatically installed package (e.g., samba-common), differently from
explicit removal of that metapackage, or it would never be possible to
remove any dependencies without removing all others - or remarking them as
manual.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

Derek Broughton 07-10-2008 07:48 PM

Trying to remove samba on GG wants to remove Kubuntu-desktop
 
Nigel Henry wrote:

> On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:31, Nigel Henry wrote:
>> On Thursday 10 July 2008 19:09, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> > Nigel Henry wrote:
>> > > Well this is a bit weird. I don't use MS Windows, so don't need
>> > > Samba, and being on dialup, Samba updates are not needed. So I open
>> > > synaptic, and check remove samba-common. Now I'm told that
>> > > kubuntu-desktop, and smbclient are going to be removed. Now I've no
>> > > problems with smbclient being removed, but why the hell does removing
>> > > samba, also want to remove my desktop.
>> >
>> > You can remove kubuntu-desktop without loosing any installed program.
>> > The package kubuntu-desktop is a meta-package which depends on all
>> > packages needed to install the desktop.
>> >
>> >
>> > Nils
>>
>> Apologies for my paranoia. I seriously thought that I was going to lose
>> the desktop. The only thing installed now is libsmbclient, and updated,
>> but I'll soon get rid of that.
>>
>> Thanks for your help, and quick reply.
>>
>> Nigel.
>
> I may have been a bit hasty, when I said, regarding libsmbclient "I'll
> soon get rid of that".
>
> In Synaptic, selecting "Mark for Complete Removal" for libsmbclient, it
> wants to remove the following packages.
> amarok
> amarok-xine
> digicam
> kaffeine
> kaffeine-xine
> kdebase-kio-plugins
> kmail
> kmailcvt
> kmplayer-base
> kmplayer-konq-plugins
> konq-plugins
> konqueror
> konqueror-nsplugins
> kontact
> kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts
> libxine1
> mozilla-mplayer
> mplayer
> and last but not least
> strigi-applet (whatever that is)
>
> Needless to say, I havn't agreed to these removals, and think that it may
> be best to leave libsmbclient installed, as I don't want to lose a load of
> music/media apps, along with a bunch of other stuff.
>
> It is all a bit bizarre though. Why should removing a library
> "libsmbclient", which is a library that samba uses for file sharing
> between linux, and windows machines, want to remove a whole bunch of
> music/media apps, as some sort of dependencies.

It is odd, but at a guess all of the media tools have accepted the fact that
they need to be able to talk SMB to talk to the majority of media servers.
Since smb _is_ one of the kio plugins, it certainly belongs there and
kmailcvt specifically aims to import Outlook/OE emails, so would likely be
not much use without smb (of course, unless you're importing old mail from
another system, you don't need kmailcvt, anyway).
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:36 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.