-   -   messed up my kicker menubar (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/121933-messed-up-my-kicker-menubar.html)

"O. Sinclair" 07-09-2008 06:54 PM

messed up my kicker menubar

Right,
somehow I completely messed up my kicker menubar, the one where active
windows are supposed to be showing... this happened while trying
something related to Google Desktop. I went to System Settings - Window
Behaviour - tab Advanced. Ticked the box "Hide utility windows for
inactive applications".

Bang - got a crash notice I did not think much about until I left the
place in question and found the menu bar showing no apps windows/icons.

No matter what I try and change since then it has absolutely no effect
whatsoever. Have played around with "dcop kicker kicker restart", no
change whatsoever. If I add an extra External Taskbar it nicely shows
the apps in that one... same with a KasBar. But I prefer the "running
apps" back where I am used to....

Any help appreciated,

Sinclair

Karl Klinger 07-09-2008 07:11 PM

messed up my kicker menubar

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Right,
> somehow I completely messed up my kicker menubar, the one where active
> windows are supposed to be showing... this happened while trying
> something related to Google Desktop. I went to System Settings - Window
> Behaviour - tab Advanced. Ticked the box "Hide utility windows for
> inactive applications".
>
> Bang - got a crash notice I did not think much about until I left the
> place in question and found the menu bar showing no apps windows/icons.
>
> No matter what I try and change since then it has absolutely no effect
> whatsoever. Have played around with "dcop kicker kicker restart", no
> change whatsoever. If I add an extra External Taskbar it nicely shows
> the apps in that one... same with a KasBar. But I prefer the "running
> apps" back where I am used to....
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Sinclair

Could it be that the taskbar applet got removed from the panel?

Karl

"O. Sinclair" 07-10-2008 04:01 AM

messed up my kicker menubar

Karl Klinger wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Right,
>> somehow I completely messed up my kicker menubar, the one where active
>> windows are supposed to be showing... this happened while trying
>> something related to Google Desktop. I went to System Settings - Window
>> Behaviour - tab Advanced. Ticked the box "Hide utility windows for
>> inactive applications".
>>
>> Bang - got a crash notice I did not think much about until I left the
>> place in question and found the menu bar showing no apps windows/icons.
>>
>> No matter what I try and change since then it has absolutely no effect
>> whatsoever. Have played around with "dcop kicker kicker restart", no
>> change whatsoever. If I add an extra External Taskbar it nicely shows
>> the apps in that one... same with a KasBar. But I prefer the "running
>> apps" back where I am used to....
>>
>> Any help appreciated,
>>
>> Sinclair
>>
> Could it be that the taskbar applet got removed from the panel?

You are the man! Such a seemingly simple thing and I tried like tens of
other setting changes and so on! It never even occured to me....

heartfelt thanks,
Sinclair

Talung Tilac 08-09-2008 09:03 PM

messed up my kicker menubar

On Wednesday 9 July 2008, Karl Klinger wrote:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Right,
> > somehow I completely messed up my kicker menubar, the one where
> > active windows are supposed to be showing... this happened while
> > trying something related to Google Desktop. I went to System
> > Settings - Window Behaviour - tab Advanced. Ticked the box "Hide
> > utility windows for inactive applications".
> >
> > Bang - got a crash notice I did not think much about until I left
> > the place in question and found the menu bar showing no apps
> > windows/icons.
> >
> > No matter what I try and change since then it has absolutely no
> > effect whatsoever. Have played around with "dcop kicker kicker
> > restart", no change whatsoever. If I add an extra External
> > Taskbar it nicely shows the apps in that one... same with a
> > KasBar. But I prefer the "running apps" back where I am used
> > to....
> >
> > Any help appreciated,
> >
> > Sinclair
>
> Could it be that the taskbar applet got removed from the panel?
>
> Karl

I had a similar problem.
I renamed the "Kickerrc" file to "Kickerrc.old" and logged out or
rebooted (can't remember which)
and kde creates a new file that works.
File is located below
/home/##your home directoryname#/.kde/share/config/Kickerrc

rgds TT

"O. Sinclair" 08-10-2008 07:34 AM

messed up my kicker menubar