Old 07-09-2008, 01:16 PM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Strigi revisited

After some threads on Strigi I decided to invest some time on trying it
out a bit more in depth. For starters: loads of bugs are filed on Strigi
and most of them have been mentioned before here, others are not.
However my conclusion is:
1. the developer(s) focus entirely on KDE4, KDE3 seems to be "let's
leave as it is"
2. look for instructions/manual if you can, I have found nothing. The
"wiki" does not exist. Neither any man pages

First I just tried to use it as is. Noticeable:
1. Preferences in the form av what folders you want to index can not be
changed via the Konqi "gui". Only if you go to HOME/.strigi and edit
daemon.conf will they change
2. all gui are odd - the "konqi" one and the qt one give no usable
result, meaning I find lots of odd references inside files but can not
open them? The applet searches on names and is a bit more useable -
after you tweak Strigi a bit
3. It chews up all CPU you have even when the daemon is reported as "idling"

I did then try to install Kat (older search engine for KDE) and was told
in a very nice installer that x number of "translators" needed to be
installed. Did so and then Kat crashed nicely a number of times when I
tried to actually use it. I gave up. However - AFTER that Strigi started
to build massive indexes and suddenly found x number of file names from
the applet (not the Konqi though, still useless results). Conclusion,
guess: Strigi needs these translators but does not list them as
dependencies or tell you anywhere that you should install them.

I got to around 6 Gb of index files and 100% CPU + weird results with
using applet (other applets stopped working) before I decided it was/is
enough. I will now remove all Strigi packages. It is time to try
Kerry/Beagle or Google Desktop.

Note: most of these bugs are filed so I dont see the point of re-filing.
I think KDE/Kubuntu has taken a very wrong decision here in making
Strigi default desktop search.

Regards,
Sinclair

Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Scott

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Note: most of these bugs are filed so I dont see the point of re-filing.
> I think KDE/Kubuntu has taken a very wrong decision here in making
> Strigi default desktop search.
I fully agree with you. One of those bugs is mine and I still have yet
to see a developer respond to it; https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/227280.

The largest problem I have with Strigi is the massive amount of HD space
it consumes. On a newer system it took up 25GB which caused my laptop
not to boot up. A large number of people have responded to my bug and a
few people state that Strigi took up over 100GB on their systems. I
can't believe something that takes up that much HD space is actually
installed by default. I really hope it is not going to be the default
in 8.10.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Old 07-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Valter Mura

Il mercoledì 9 luglio 2008 17:28:49 Scott ha scritto:
> O. Sinclair wrote:
> > Note: most of these bugs are filed so I dont see the point of re-filing.
> > I think KDE/Kubuntu has taken a very wrong decision here in making
> > Strigi default desktop search.
>
> I fully agree with you. One of those bugs is mine and I still have yet
> to see a developer respond to it; https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/227280.
>
> The largest problem I have with Strigi is the massive amount of HD space
> it consumes. On a newer system it took up 25GB which caused my laptop
> not to boot up. A large number of people have responded to my bug and a
> few people state that Strigi took up over 100GB on their systems. I
> can't believe something that takes up that much HD space is actually
> installed by default. I really hope it is not going to be the default
> in 8.10.
>
> --
> Your friend,
> Scott
>
> Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

My strigi has a clucene folder of 650 MB, but I don't index the files since 5
months ago.
I think the worst problem is that there are no help files to give you a hand.
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com

Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Pablo El Feo

I don't really think it's a bad decision to support striggi. Actually it has
many pros... technically. But the results produced are still useless... At
least with KDE3. KDE people seems to be integrating a lot with strigi...
specially with nepomuk... althow they say it's all search-engine independent
and it can be changed.
I hope what we have here is a project in (heavy) development. And tune ups can
be done. To filter what it's indexed, to compress and/or compact indexes, to
better categorize stuff, to better show the search results.
I haven't tried KDE4 yet, but I'm looking forward to experience nepomuk... maybe
that's what's missing for strigi to succeed in... well... in actually finding
something.
But, I must say... Kubuntu let me down making it the default for kde3.

Regards,

Pablo

Old 07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Pablo El Feo

I've been looking into Scott's Bug #227280... I'd seem that sgrigi is indexing
it's own indexes... so they become larger, and it needs to update the index
with the new info, and that makes the index grow, so it has to update again,
and... well... you get the point.
I already removed strigi from my system and I really don't want to install it
again. But, if there's a way to tell it not to index a folder, could someone
try to tell it not to index it's indexes... just to see what happens.