Old 07-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default OT: Extract info from a text file

I'm trying to help a friend sort out his mailing list :-(

He's given me a [messy] csv file which I saved as a text file.
It contains all his contacts - names, addresses, email addresses etc.
I want to extract just the email addresses.

Is there a simple script to extract just the email addresses?
I tried using google but the results are a bit vague.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I'm trying to help a friend sort out his mailing list :-(
>
> He's given me a [messy] csv file which I saved as a text file.
> It contains all his contacts - names, addresses, email addresses etc.
> I want to extract just the email addresses.
>
> Is there a simple script to extract just the email addresses?
> I tried using google but the results are a bit vague.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
>
> --
> PrayingForIsrael.net
> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Have you tried OpenOffice?

Import the file.

Copy the email address column to a new spreadsheet.

Write it out as a txt file or csv or whatever.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Nigel Ridley

Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I'm trying to help a friend sort out his mailing list :-(
>>
>> He's given me a [messy] csv file which I saved as a text file.
>> It contains all his contacts - names, addresses, email addresses etc.
>> I want to extract just the email addresses.
>>
>> Is there a simple script to extract just the email addresses?
>> I tried using google but the results are a bit vague.
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>
>> --
>> PrayingForIsrael.net
>> http://www.prayingforisrael.net/
>
> Have you tried OpenOffice?
>
> Import the file.
>
> Copy the email address column to a new spreadsheet.
>
> Write it out as a txt file or csv or whatever.

That was a piece of cake! :-)

I even then used [highlight column] Data > Sort to get them all in alphabetical order!

Thank you lots....

Blessings,

Nigel