Old 07-08-2008, 04:50 PM
lanzen

Default Ipod Troubles

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 16:22:44 Donn wrote:

> rsync -vurt --delete --progress yourmaincollection/ youripod

rsync, yeah, that's beauty! But I don't think it will work on iPod because of
the way it behaves and ipod database. In fact libgpod is a must!
I might be wrong, of course, but that's a good idea and it should work nicely
on other players like zen nano or similar.

--
lanzen

Old 07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Art Alexion

On Tuesday 08 July 2008 12:50:54 pm lanzen wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008 16:22:44 Donn wrote:
> > rsync -vurt --delete --progress yourmaincollection/ youripod
>
> rsync, yeah, that's beauty! But I don't think it will work on iPod because
> of the way it behaves and ipod database. In fact libgpod is a must!
> I might be wrong, of course, but that's a good idea and it should work
> nicely on other players like zen nano or similar.
>
> --
> lanzen

lanzen is right. rsync won't work as the ipod uses a database and not the
file system alone.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Ronnie Tucker

lanzen wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 July 2008 16:22:44 Donn wrote:
> rsync, yeah, that's beauty! But I don't think it will work on iPod because of
> the way it behaves and ipod database. In fact libgpod is a must!
> I might be wrong, of course, but that's a good idea and it should work nicely
> on other players like zen nano or similar.

One thing I had trouble with (using KDE 4.1 and an iPod Classic) was
album art, but it was a libgpod thing.

After some tinkering I noticed in my Adept that /libgpod3-nogtk/ was
installed (by default I think), when I looked at the description for the
library I noticed:

/This version does not include artwork support/

So I uninstalled it and installed the /libgpod3/ library. All good.

Oh, and after you've transferred your files and clicked Disconnect (in
Amarok), with me it pops up with a window saying it didn't disconnect
properly, but it does. I unhook by iPod and it's fine.

--
Ronnie Tucker

ronnie@ronnietucker.co.uk
www.RonnieTucker.co.uk