Old 07-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Tom Bell

Default WLAN in HH 8.04

I am wondering how Hardy Heron 8.04 (HH 8.04) can load the proprietary
drivers for a wireless card, then not see the card. "lshw" and "lspci"
do not even show the equipment on two different computers that previous
versions of Kubuntu did. The WLAN equipment just doesn't exist, period.
I have a home constructed computer that I have run FF and GG on with no
problem other than the fact that I could not get the WLAN to actually
connect to my Linksys router, even though it did see it and I entered
the MAC for filtering. However, with HH 8.04, the equipment does not
apparently exist as stated above.
I got a notebook, ASUS Eee 900, and it has a wireless card and loaded
the proprietary drivers on initial load. On bootup, it does not even
see the wireless equipment. To use the wireless, I have to boot into
the Xandros distro that comes on the drive (20GB SSD). That is like
getting a lobotomy! Apologies to Xandros fans, I am sure that the full
Xandros it not as crippled as ASUS' version.
Imagine a computer that will not allow you to add programs, except for
what is in the extremely limited repository ASUS has setup. Imagine,
OOo (Open Office) at 2.0 version. Imagine, Web is actually Firefox.
Imagine, Mail is Thunderbird. Even OOo is shown by other names for each
segment. Imagine having to search long and hard for the program and the
menu where "terminal console" is listed.
I could really use some help getting HH 8.04 to recognize WLAN equipment.
Thank you!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:21 AM
Derek Broughton

Tom Bell wrote:

> I am wondering how Hardy Heron 8.04 (HH 8.04) can load the proprietary
> drivers for a wireless card, then not see the card. "lshw" and "lspci"
> do not even show the equipment on two different computers that previous
> versions of Kubuntu did. The WLAN equipment just doesn't exist, period.

If lshw, lsusb and lspci can't see a card, then it doesn't exist - never
mind whether the drivers are loaded. So that's not terribly surprising.

> I got a notebook, ASUS Eee 900, and it has a wireless card and loaded
> the proprietary drivers on initial load. On bootup, it does not even
> see the wireless equipment. To use the wireless, I have to boot into
> the Xandros distro that comes on the drive (20GB SSD). That is like
> getting a lobotomy! Apologies to Xandros fans, I am sure that the full
> Xandros it not as crippled as ASUS' version.
> Imagine a computer that will not allow you to add programs, except for
> what is in the extremely limited repository ASUS has setup.

So add repositories! It's a Debian-based system. You _should_ be able to
actually add Ubuntu repositories and do an "aptitude full-upgrade". It's
liable to involve many hours of manually fixing conflicts, but that's how I
first got from Debian to Ubuntu...

> I could really use some help getting HH 8.04 to recognize WLAN equipment.

Then you should try giving us some real information. How can you expect us
to diagnose a problem without even knowing what the wifi hardware is, let
alone what you think the drivers should be?
--
derek

Old 07-08-2008, 08:16 AM
Edmund Laugasson

> I got a notebook, ASUS Eee 900, and it has a wireless card and loaded
> the proprietary drivers on initial load. On bootup, it does not even
> see the wireless equipment.

Perhaps this could help you - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

There is https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Fixes#Wireless for getting work WiFi card.

There is also custom version of Xubuntu - http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu:eeexubuntu:home - which
contains all necessary drivers. You can give a try and feedback to us about your success

Best Regards,
Edmund