Old 07-07-2008, 05:27 AM
"Juan Kawada"

Default Ipod Troubles

I have two problems, is there a way to sync an ipod with amarok? I don't mean just transfer songs, but I mean sync as in, it'll delete songs on my ipod that aren't in my library, and add ones that are. I've googled this one, but I can't find anything, meaning it's either really obvious or there is no way to do it.* I* have a first generation video ipod.

Also, I installed kubuntu for my friend, and it doesn't want to recognize his ipod touch, it thinks that it's a camera. Anyone know how to fix that?

Old 07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
jack wallen

Juan Kawada wrote:
> I have two problems, is there a way to sync an ipod with amarok? I
> don't mean just transfer songs, but I mean sync as in, it'll delete
> songs on my ipod that aren't in my library, and add ones that are.
> I've googled this one, but I can't find anything, meaning it's either
> really obvious or there is no way to do it. I have a first
> generation video ipod.
>
> Also, I installed kubuntu for my friend, and it doesn't want to
> recognize his ipod touch, it thinks that it's a camera. Anyone know
> how to fix that?
with amarok it is as simple as dragging music to the device (from the
collection window) and then hitting transfer. there is no actual "sync"
with amarok. and you can delete songs from the device by right clicking
the song and then selecting delete.

as far as the Touch is concerned - i do not believe they are supported
*yet*. give the developers time though.

--
_____________
/\__/ / Omea Mona!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
lanzen

On Monday 07 July 2008 07:27:18 Juan Kawada wrote:

> I have two problems, is there a way to sync an ipod with amarok? I don't
> mean just transfer songs, but I mean sync as in, it'll delete songs on my
> ipod that aren't in my library, and add ones that are.

I use amarok and I'm quite happy with it although, as Jack said, there's no
real way to sync. If you want syncing, have a look at gtkpod in the repos
(http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html for info). It might work but it's for gnome
and will probably require extra libs.

--
lanzen

Old 07-08-2008, 02:00 PM
"Juan Kawada"

ok i'll test that out. I'm just cleaning out my music library, so i'll only need to be able to sync temporarily, otherwise syncing just annoys me.
*
also, and I may just have to start another thread for this because it's more of an all around USB problem than with my ipod, but After I hit safely disconnect on my ipod, it still has the big "Do Not Disconnect" on the screen. basically I have to turn off the computer if I want to be able to take it out safely.

This is the case With all my usb devices, because a light always stays on, or something similar.* Anyone else had this problem?
*

Old 07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
"jack wallen"

> also, and I may just have to start another thread for this because it's
> more
> of an all around USB problem than with my ipod, but After I hit safely
> disconnect on my ipod, it still has the big "Do Not Disconnect" on the
> screen. basically I have to turn off the computer if I want to be able to
> take it out safely.
> This is the case With all my usb devices, because a light always stays on,
> or something similar. Anyone else had this problem?

do you mean the ipod says do not disconnect? if that's the case, unplug it
anyway. i did it all the time and never had a problem. as long as it's
unmounted you shouldn't have any problems. of course you'll want to make
SURE it's unmounted.

of course with iPods everything is a bit flaky. that's why i stopped using
them. well that and mine has the old Raid Bug issue so it randomly won't
mount or unmount.

jack wallen, jr
sooooooooo yeah
monkeypantz.net

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Donn

On Tuesday, 08 July 2008 16:00:13 Juan Kawada wrote:
> ok i'll test that out. I'm just cleaning out my music library, so i'll only
> need to be able to sync temporarily, otherwise syncing just annoys me.
I dunno exactly what you need, but if you want to sync one directory (and it's
children) with another one then have a look at rsync. It's a command-line
tool that does very cool stuff.
Example:
rsync -vurt --delete --progress yourmaincollection/ youripod
That will copy everything that's not already in youripod from
yourmaincollection and will also remove from youripod that which is not in
yourmaincollection.

-vurt means 1)-v verbose 2)-u skip files that are newer on the target
(youripod) 3)-r recurse all directories 4)-t copy timestamps
--delete removes files on youripod that are not in yourmaincollection
--progress tells you what it's doing

Check the man page:
man rsync

> more of an all around USB problem than with my ipod, but After I hit safely
> disconnect on my ipod, it still has the big "Do Not Disconnect" on the
> screen. basically I have to turn off the computer if I want to be able to
> take it out safely.
I have found that doing a 'lazy' unmount works quite well. (On my usb stuff, I
don't have an ipod)
1) Basically find out what /dev your usb is mounted on, type:
mount
Then read the text and identify your ipod.
2) Then make sure all windows and so forth onto that drive are closed.
3) Then do:
umount -l /dev/blah
Where /dev/blah is your ipod. You may have to sudo that command.

hth

Old 07-08-2008, 02:29 PM
"Juan Kawada"

Thanks Don, I'm going to have to try that all out when I get home from work (in about 12 hours : /* )

But yeah that sounds like a tool I can use, thanks again!