Old 07-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Valter Mura

Default A modest proposal for proprietary drivers - little OT

Hi All,

as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
products.
I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
be compelled to listen to us, one day.
I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
come starting from now on.

So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar
projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in
all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.

Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.

(Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

Regards
--
Valter
Gnupgp ID: 0xD7274715 in hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com

Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 PM
"John Pierce"

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
> products.
> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
> be compelled to listen to us, one day.
> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
> come starting from now on.
>
> So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar
> projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in
> all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.
>
> Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.
>
> (Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

I suggested this some years ago and they could offset the cost of
developing the linux driver
by not shipping a disk or cd with the merchandise. They could store
all the drivers on an option rom
onboard teh device, including expansion cards, then the os would just
query the device for the necessary
driver and download from the rom. Never again would be forever
looking for the driver disk for a device.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at

Old 07-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Scott

John Pierce wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 11:56 AM, Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
>> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
>> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
>> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
>> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
>> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
>> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
>> products.
>> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
>> be compelled to listen to us, one day.
>> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
>> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
>> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
>> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
>> come starting from now on.
Already, I have always asked companies when I can to have Linux support
and I only purchase computer equipment from companies that support
Linux. These are the two most important ways to get companies to change
and I am willing to help out as I can.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Kubuntu Version 8.04

Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 AM
"Juan Kawada"

I would definitely sign if you got this up and running, and I'd also try to get my friends to sign.

Also, your English is fine, don't worry about it.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Valter Mura

Il luned์ 7 luglio 2008 07:19:40 Juan Kawada ha scritto:

> I would definitely sign if you got this up and running, and I'd also try to
> get my friends to sign.

--cut--

> > wrote:
--cut--

> > Already, I have always asked companies when I can to have Linux support
> > and I only purchase computer equipment from companies that support
> > Linux. These are the two most important ways to get companies to change
> > and I am willing to help out as I can.

thank you for your replies, you encourage me to start planning the petition,
I'll post it here as ready.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:47 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/6 Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com>:
> Hi All,
>
> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
> products.
> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
> be compelled to listen to us, one day.
> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
> come starting from now on.
>
> So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar
> projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in
> all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.
>
> Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.
>
> (Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

I already have a project in the works, with the contact addresses of
most major hardware manufactures and software houses. The domain name
is already registered, I'm just stuck with university work before I
can move forward. If you want to help then contact me off list.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM
"Willy Hamra"

2008/7/7 Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com>:

2008/7/6 Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com>:

> Hi All,

> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I

> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"

> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a

> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.

> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such

> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will

> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the

> products.

> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will

> be compelled to listen to us, one day.

> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very

> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy

> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.

> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to

> come starting from now on.

> So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar

> projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in

> all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.

> Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.

> (Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

I already have a project in the works, with the contact addresses of

most major hardware manufactures and software houses. The domain name

is already registered, I'm just stuck with university work before I

can move forward. If you want to help then contact me off list.

that's great thing, whenever the project officially starts, i'm down with it.
--
Emo Philips *- "I got some new underwear the other day. Well, new to me."

Old 07-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Martin Laberge

On Sunday 06 July 2008 12:56:49 Valter Mura wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> as I'm very tired to "fight" against Companies that produce the hardware (I
> mean, above all, devices such as printers, scanners, and so on) "almost"
> or "exclusively" for Windows and Mac, I thought it could be useful to open a
> signature collection for all Linux users, let's say, in the world.
> The goal is to make a general petition to the big sisters of the world (such
> as Canon, HP, Epson, Lexmark, Kodak, etc., the more you know, the more will
> be) to write "at least" drivers also for Linux and ship the with the
> products.
> I think that, if we collect our strength in thousands of signatures, they will
> be compelled to listen to us, one day.
> I wonder why I have still have to search a printer in the Linux database (very
> good work, by the way) to know if my actual printer or the next I will buy
> works "perfectly, mostly, good, badly" and so on.
> The idea is not to make a petition for one product only, but all products to
> come starting from now on.
>
> So, I ask to you if you like the idea and agree, if there is still a similar
> projects (if so, where?), and, in case the project should start, to spread in
> all Linux mailing lists you know all around the world.
>
> Obviously, I will submit the petition to you all before starting the petition.
>
> (Sorry for my poor English, I hope you understood my words)

Your english is sufficient for me (french)

Many of the free software users and do-ers
will support an idea like this.

Now is the time to start, merge, implement
or do something.

Someone have to start, then to let users know
they can sign and participate.

WE can do it. And we will have certain success
with OUR effort, as the manufacturers of hardware
are selling Hardware, and we want to BUY it.

WE only want them to tell us How to access it,
or to give us a basic acces method to their
hardware (compatibility, driver, port-map, something...)
and WE will make a pleasure to implement the missing
elements for them, so THEY can Freely include it on
their Driver-CD, and by the way, maybe put a penguin
on their box, besides the Win and Mac logos...

What a wonderful offer to a manufacturer of hardware
to be Given the driver by volunteer fleet of developpers,
include it on the disk, print logo, sell x% more hardware.

(Even a windows user, buying the hardware, and thinking if ...
Will be interested to know this hardware, will work on Linux too
if he choose to BUY it.)

Some hardware manufacturers will surely step on the occasion.
(as many have already done...)

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft@videotron.ca

Old 07-09-2008, 08:27 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/7/9 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:
> that's great thing, whenever the project officially starts, i'm down with
> it.

Thanks, Willy, I'll start compiling a list of people to contact when
the site / project launches. You're on it!

If anyone else wants to be contacted and to help, please either reply
here or in private mail. The project will require about ten minutes
investment a week per participant.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il
ื-ื‘-ื’-ื“-ื”-ื•-ื–-ื—-ื˜-ื™-ืš-ื›-ืœ-ื-ืž-ืŸ-ื*-ืก-ืข-ืฃ-ืค-ืฅ-ืฆ-ืง-ืจ-ืฉ-ืช

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 07-10-2008, 01:10 AM
David McGlone

On Wednesday 09 July 2008 4:27:21 pm Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2008/7/9 Willy Hamra <w.hamra1987@gmail.com>:
> > that's great thing, whenever the project officially starts, i'm down with
> > it.
>
> Thanks, Willy, I'll start compiling a list of people to contact when
> the site / project launches. You're on it!
>
> If anyone else wants to be contacted and to help, please either reply
> here or in private mail. The project will require about ten minutes
> investment a week per participant.

You can include me also. I'll do whatever I can to help.

David M.