-   -   flat screen tv as monitor (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/119693-flat-screen-tv-monitor.html)

david 07-06-2008 02:31 AM

flat screen tv as monitor

Hi all.

I recently acquired a philips 21in flat screen TV and I would like to use it
as a monitor for my desktop.

Earlier today I fired it up on my desktop using an S-Video cable because it
didn't have a vga to DMI cable and the picture was grainy and the fonts were
completely unreadable. It was horrible. I managed to get a half-way decent
looking desktop by using 800x600, but this makes everything so big that it
doesn't fit and the whole desktop scrolls when you move the cursor to either
side.

My question is, would I get a better picture if I used a VGA to DMI cable
instead of the S-Video cable? Or do I need to get a better Graphics card? Or
should I just give up hope alltogether?

--
David M.

"Hans Henry von Tresckow" 07-06-2008 07:47 AM

flat screen tv as monitor

I recently acquired a philips 21in flat screen TV and I would like to use it

as a monitor for my desktop.

Earlier today I fired it up on my desktop using an S-Video cable because it

didn't have a vga to DMI cable and the picture was grainy and the fonts were

completely unreadable. It was horrible. I managed to get a half-way decent

looking desktop by using 800x600, but this makes everything so big that it

doesn't fit and the whole desktop scrolls when you move the cursor to either

side.

My question is, would I get a better picture if I used a VGA to DMI cable

instead of the S-Video cable? Or do I need to get a better Graphics card? Or

should I just give up hope alltogether?

--

David M.
By all means, get a VGA to DMI cable. The* SVGA signal is still just at SDTV resolution. I have tested my laptop on my 40" sony, and the picture was great.

Good luck

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)

"Willy K. Hamra" 07-06-2008 10:25 AM

flat screen tv as monitor

Hans Henry von Tresckow wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 7:31 PM, david <d.mcglone@att.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I recently acquired a philips 21in flat screen TV and I would like to use
>> it
>> as a monitor for my desktop.
>>
>> Earlier today I fired it up on my desktop using an S-Video cable because it
>> didn't have a vga to DMI cable and the picture was grainy and the fonts
>> were
>> completely unreadable. It was horrible. I managed to get a half-way decent
>> looking desktop by using 800x600, but this makes everything so big that it
>> doesn't fit and the whole desktop scrolls when you move the cursor to
>> either
>> side.
>>
>> My question is, would I get a better picture if I used a VGA to DMI cable
>> instead of the S-Video cable? Or do I need to get a better Graphics card?
>> Or
>> should I just give up hope alltogether?
>>
>> --
>> David M.
>

> By all means, get a VGA to DMI cable. The SVGA signal is still just at SDTV
> resolution. I have tested my laptop on my 40" sony, and the picture was
> great.
>
> Good luck

i tried my desktop once on my sony trinitron flat tv, and the fonts were
also unreadable, i could ply games well :P but reading is impossible,
it's as if the TV has less DPI than the PC monitor, is this true?

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

david 07-06-2008 01:24 PM

flat screen tv as monitor

On Sunday 06 July 2008 3:47:37 am Hans Henry von Tresckow wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 7:31 PM, david <d.mcglone@att.net> wrote:
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I recently acquired a philips 21in flat screen TV and I would like to use
> > it
> > as a monitor for my desktop.
> >
> > Earlier today I fired it up on my desktop using an S-Video cable because
> > it didn't have a vga to DMI cable and the picture was grainy and the
> > fonts were
> > completely unreadable. It was horrible. I managed to get a half-way
> > decent looking desktop by using 800x600, but this makes everything so big
> > that it doesn't fit and the whole desktop scrolls when you move the
> > cursor to either
> > side.
> >
> > My question is, would I get a better picture if I used a VGA to DMI cable
> > instead of the S-Video cable? Or do I need to get a better Graphics card?
> > Or
> > should I just give up hope alltogether?
> >
> > --
> > David M.
>
> By all means, get a VGA to DMI cable. The SVGA signal is still just at
> SDTV resolution. I have tested my laptop on my 40" sony, and the picture
> was great.

Here are the specs for this tv. I'm wondering if i'll be able to get a better
picture with the DMI cable since from what I understand this tv can only get
800x600 max resolution. What do you think?

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/plasma-lcd-televisions/m/14794624/details/

--
David M.

"uriah heep" 07-07-2008 02:23 AM

flat screen tv as monitor

Svhs will only carry interlaced signal which on a tv designed for progressive looks like feces.* DMI adapter is cheap so at least give it a try.*
uriah