Old 07-06-2008, 12:31 AM
David

Default sudo - adept manager (?)

Sorry if this seems obvious but being new to the wonderful world of Ubuntu could you let me know the correct way to run Adept Manger under "root".* I understand the command sudo does that under Terminal but I don't understand the form of the command.

My objective is to fetch updates by using Adept Manager but I need to run it as "root".* I am using Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron.

I have Admin rights as a user on the system.

Thanks,

David

<smart tag line left off as I couldn't find anything to say!>

Old 07-06-2008, 12:40 AM
"John DeCarlo"

kdesu is used for graphical root access

Sorry if this seems obvious but being new to the wonderful world of Ubuntu could you let me know the correct way to run Adept Manger under "root".* I understand the command sudo does that under Terminal but I don't understand the form of the command.

My objective is to fetch updates by using Adept Manager but I need to run it as "root".* I am using Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron.

I have Admin rights as a user on the system.

Thanks,

David

<smart tag line left off as I couldn't find anything to say!>

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 AM
David

Thanks, I would understand this is also run from the terminal window?

How do I then call up Adept Manager?* Is is the command more general to then use (I'm in Gnome) the desk top graphically.* I have looked for help on the web but I think I'm confused as I'm asking a really basic question.

Thanks again for any assistance.

David

Old 07-06-2008, 01:29 AM
Wulfy

David wrote:
> Sorry if this seems obvious but being new to the wonderful world of
> Ubuntu could you let me know the correct way to run Adept Manger under
> "root". I understand the command sudo does that under Terminal but I
> don't understand the form of the command.
>
> My objective is to fetch updates by using Adept Manager but I need to
> run it as "root". I am using Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron.
>
> I have Admin rights as a user on the system.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> <smart tag line left off as I couldn't find anything to say!>
Doesn't clicking on the menu item for Adept bring up the password
dialogue? There should be no need under normal circumstances to run a
graphical program from the terminal and those that need to be run as
root should automatically do so.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Old 07-06-2008, 01:35 AM
David

I get the following dialog box when I run Adept Manager:

"You will not be able to change your system settings in any way (install, remove or upgrade software), because this application needs special administrator (root) privileges. Please run it as root or through kdesu or sudo programs to be able to perform these actions"

Confused.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:45 AM
"Cary Bielenberg"

David,

******** There is a problem with Kubuntu
at present where the password required is the root password not your elevated
password. If you do a sudo passwd root & setup the root password (not recommended)
it will use the real root’s password. One problem at the moment if you
are using intrepid is adept will crash soon after you put in the password
anyway L

*

*

Cary

*

kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

*

Old 07-06-2008, 01:59 AM
"Cary Bielenberg"

Am Aussie too live in QLD J

*

*

Cary

*

wrote:

> Sorry if this seems obvious but being new to the wonderful world of

> Ubuntu could you let me know the correct way to run Adept Manger under

> "root". *I understand the command sudo does that under
Terminal but I

> don't understand the form of the command.

> My objective is to fetch updates by using Adept Manager but I need to

> run it as "root". *I am using Ubuntu 8.04 - Hardy Heron.

> I have Admin rights as a user on the system.

> Thanks,

> David

> <smart tag line left off as I couldn't find anything to say!>

Doesn't
clicking on the menu item for Adept bring up the password

dialogue? *There should be no need under normal circumstances to run a

graphical program from the terminal and those that need to be run as

root should automatically do so.

--

Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:

Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

--

kubuntu-users
mailing list

Old 07-06-2008, 02:01 AM
"John DeCarlo"

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 9:15 PM, David <davidp540@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks, I would understand this is also run from the terminal window?

How do I then call up Adept Manager?* Is is the command more general to then use (I'm in Gnome) the desk top graphically.* I have looked for help on the web but I think I'm confused as I'm asking a really basic question.

<Alt-F2>

Then type

kdesu adept-manager

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

Old 07-06-2008, 02:12 AM
David

Thanks I now see how to do it.

Does seem to be a bug though as it still didn't work as per previous "password issue" comments in the* thread.

David