Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Jim Douglas

Default testing firewall

The Firewall Builder install said it was successful, my System Services does not show the Firewall Builder so I can't stop/start it.* It configured IPTables, IPTables does not show either under System Services.

How can I test my Firewall?

Jim

The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:08 AM
James Gray

On 06/07/2008, at 5:09 AM, Jim Douglas wrote:

> The Firewall Builder install said it was successful, my System
> Services does not show the Firewall Builder so I can't stop/start
> it. It configured IPTables, IPTables does not show either under
> System Services.
>
> How can I test my Firewall?
>
> Jim

sudo iptables -L

...will show you what rules are active in the INPUT/OUTPUT/FORWARD/etc
tables. To see a specific table (such as pre/post-route and mangle)
use this:

sudo iptables -L -t mangle

Assuming you added some log rules, you should see the rule hits
(rejects?) in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/kern.log.

If you're asking for a basic smoke-test of your firewall rules, try
Gibson Research's "Shields Up!" service at https://www.grc.com/. I'm
not a huge fan of Steve Gibson, but his "Shields Up!" is a reasonable
smoke test for critical services (ports 0-1055). Why port 1055?!? I
have NFI as it is an unprivileged port....but there you go; Steve
Gibson has his own take on these sort of things.

HTH,

James

Old 07-06-2008, 04:13 PM
Jim Douglas

> From: james@gray.net.au
> To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Subject: Re: testing firewall
> Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:08:40 +1000
>

> On 06/07/2008, at 5:09 AM, Jim Douglas wrote:
>
> > The Firewall Builder install said it was successful, my System
> > Services does not show the Firewall Builder so I can't stop/start
> > it. It configured IPTables, IPTables does not show either under
> > System Services.
> >
> > How can I test my Firewall?
> >
> > Jim
>
> sudo iptables -L
>
> ...will show you what rules are active in the INPUT/OUTPUT/FORWARD/etc
> tables. To see a specific table (such as pre/post-route and mangle)
> use this:
>
> sudo iptables -L -t mangle
>
> Assuming you added some log rules, you should see the rule hits
> (rejects?) in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/kern.log.
>
> If you're asking for a basic smoke-test of your firewall rules, try
> Gibson Research's "Shields Up!" service at https://www.grc.com/. I'm
> not a huge fan of Steve Gibson, but his "Shields Up!" is a reasonable
> smoke test for critical services (ports 0-1055). Why port 1055?!? I
> have NFI as it is an unprivileged port....but there you go; Steve
> Gibson has his own take on these sort of things.
>
> HTH,
>
> James

It looks like the service is not started,

sudo iptables -L

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target**** prot opt source************** destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

target**** prot opt source************** destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target**** prot opt source************** destination

Log File,

Jul* 6 12:02:17 sa-desktop kernel: [56557.085291] ip_tables: (C) 2000-2006 Netfilter Core Team

I'm not sure how to stop/start it.* I created the Firewall with Firewall Builder and it installed* successfully...

*sudo iptables -L -t mangle

target**** prot opt source************** destination

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target**** prot opt source************** destination