Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM
"dave selby"

Default 8.04 file/print share through kcontrol howto :)

Hi All,

After hitting head on brick wall for couple of days I finally got my
samba file sharing / printer
sharing working across my linux and windows clients using the kcontrol
interface

Anyway I found it difficult, so I am guessing someone else may also
... so I am posting my
hardy 8.04 notes

Have fun

dave

samba: file share: server

Modify /etc/fstab, to get you UUID ...

sudo blkid

vi /etc/fstab ... add for example ...

# /dev/sdb1
UUID=335b3463-c54a-4d8b-ac82-1f260a485daf /export/samba ext3
defaults 0 2

sharing > file sharing > simple sharing
Tick SMB, Cross NFS ....
The predefined 'printers' & 'spool' are for the network printer
*IMPORTANT* for /var/spool/samba tick the public box else network
printing will not work !

Add the dirs you want to share ... tick the writable box

The mounted dir & files needs to be owner 'nobody', group 'nogroup'

You need to ...
sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
samba: file share: M$ client

my network places ... drill down
add a network drive .. done

samba: file share: Linux client

remote places > samba shares > .....
copy address to konqueror

kfmclient openProfile filemanagement smb://main-system/samba

samba: printing: server

Add a raw printer called 'SambaC46' via KDE system settings > printer.
Cant use http://localhost:631, the option just aint there !

'local printer' ...
select printer ...
tick RAW box

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

samba: printing: M$ client

Control Panel > Printers & Faxes > Add a printer > A network printer
Click the 'Connect to this printer' radio button, leave the name blank
... Searching for printers ...
Double click 'MAIN-SYSTEM'
Double click 'samba_C46' ..... follow the GUI ....

samba: printing: Linux

kcontrol > add printer > SMB shared printer (windows) > Guest account
(login=guest)
Scan for printer on network, select it ... done