Old 07-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default To journal or not to journal

I have always used a journaling file system for my installs but have a collection of used hard
drives that all seem to have a 'dead' spot in roughly the same place (trying to do a fresh
install, using different versions and different distros, fails at the same point on all of them).
I know that when a hard drive begins to fail, the built-in hard drive software marks bad spots
and doesn't use them, and that when the user notices a 'bad spot', then all available 'software'
options have been used up.

My question is, why is it that my collection of used Linux hard drives all have dead spots in
roughly the same place? Is it because of the journaling file system writing to the same place all
the time or is a coincidence?
If the former, what is a recommended file system to use - other than a journaling one?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 07-05-2008, 06:11 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I have always used a journaling file system for my installs but have a collection of used hard
> drives that all seem to have a 'dead' spot in roughly the same place (trying to do a fresh
> install, using different versions and different distros, fails at the same point on all of them).
> I know that when a hard drive begins to fail, the built-in hard drive software marks bad spots
> and doesn't use them, and that when the user notices a 'bad spot', then all available 'software'
> options have been used up.
>
> My question is, why is it that my collection of used Linux hard drives all have dead spots in
> roughly the same place? Is it because of the journaling file system writing to the same place all
> the time or is a coincidence?
> If the former, what is a recommended file system to use - other than a journaling one?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

what i know though is that normal hard drives (don't know what they're
called :P ) are not affected much by this journal, it is mainly solid
state drives, i never had problems of bad sectors with any hard disk
unless it's more than 7-8 years old, back on windows i used speedfan to
monitor the s.m.a.r.t. values of the HD (it would be good if you know
some similar utility in the repos), and the values were always good,
whereas when i used ntfs on a usb flash drive, it died in almost 1
month, started forgetting the filesystem everytime i plug it!

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 PM
IceQbe

Willy K. Hamra wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I have always used a journaling file system for my installs but have a collection of used hard
>> drives that all seem to have a 'dead' spot in roughly the same place (trying to do a fresh
>> install, using different versions and different distros, fails at the same point on all of them).
>> I know that when a hard drive begins to fail, the built-in hard drive software marks bad spots
>> and doesn't use them, and that when the user notices a 'bad spot', then all available 'software'
>> options have been used up.
>>
>> My question is, why is it that my collection of used Linux hard drives all have dead spots in
>> roughly the same place? Is it because of the journaling file system writing to the same place all
>> the time or is a coincidence?
>> If the former, what is a recommended file system to use - other than a journaling one?
>>
>> Blessings,
>>
>> Nigel
>>
> what i know though is that normal hard drives (don't know what they're
> called :P ) are not affected much by this journal, it is mainly solid
> state drives, i never had problems of bad sectors with any hard disk
> unless it's more than 7-8 years old, back on windows i used speedfan to
> monitor the s.m.a.r.t. values of the HD (it would be good if you know
> some similar utility in the repos), and the values were always good,
> whereas when i used ntfs on a usb flash drive, it died in almost 1
> month, started forgetting the filesystem everytime i plug it!

smartmontools?

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/
http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/smartmontools