Old 07-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Larry Alkoff

Default fix wandering Dell touchpad in Kubuntu

There is an excellent tutorial at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by reassuringlyoffensive
showing how to fix a wandering touchpad on a Dell that uses Ubuntu.

Unfortunately I use Kbuntu Hardy Heron.

The tutorial has the instruction to
edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which I have done)
and then
navigate to System > Preferences > Sessions
and click on "Add".
Name it something like "Touchpad Syndaemon", the
description can be "Disables touchpad while typing",
and the all important command you need is "syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K".

There is no "System > Preferences > Sessions" in Kubuntu.

What does it do and how can I do the same thing in Kubuntu?

Larry

Old 07-04-2008, 10:12 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

There is no "System > Preferences > Sessions" in Kubuntu.

What does it do and how can I do the same thing in Kubuntu?
Hi...i think it's on kcontrol (alt+F2+ kcontrol)...system administration..

Perikli

Old 07-04-2008, 10:34 PM
Larry Alkoff

Perikli Thanasi wrote:

>> There is no "System > Preferences > Sessions" in Kubuntu.
>>
>> What does it do and how can I do the same thing in Kubuntu?
>

> Hi...i think it's on kcontrol (alt+F2+ kcontrol)...system administration..
>
> Perikli

Thanks for the reply Perikli.

There are 8 subdirectories under System Administration.

The right one is probably System Services but it won't open for me as
user and it won't take 'sudo kcontrol' on the command line.

If I knew what "System > Preferences > Sessions" did in Ubuntu I could
probably do some work-around from the command line.

Larry

Old 07-04-2008, 10:37 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

Try the administrator mode...(down left)
Perikli

Old 07-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Paul S

Larry Alkoff said the following on 07/04/2008 05:47 PM:
> There is an excellent tutorial at
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by reassuringlyoffensive
> showing how to fix a wandering touchpad on a Dell that uses Ubuntu.
>
> Unfortunately I use Kbuntu Hardy Heron.
>
> The tutorial has the instruction to
> edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which I have done)
> and then
> navigate to System > Preferences > Sessions
> and click on "Add".
> Name it something like "Touchpad Syndaemon", the
> description can be "Disables touchpad while typing",
> and the all important command you need is "syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K".
>
> There is no "System > Preferences > Sessions" in Kubuntu.
>
> What does it do and how can I do the same thing in Kubuntu?
>
> Larry

I'm not sure but think you can accomplish this by putting that command
in a file in your ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory. For example, try
creating a file name touchpad.sh

nano ~/.kde/Autostart/touchpad.sh

And put the lines in it:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K

Then make it executable:

chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/touchpad.sh

Then logout and back in to have it start.

hth

Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Larry Alkoff

Paul S wrote:
> Larry Alkoff said the following on 07/04/2008 05:47 PM:
>> There is an excellent tutorial at
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by reassuringlyoffensive
>> showing how to fix a wandering touchpad on a Dell that uses Ubuntu.
>>
>> Unfortunately I use Kbuntu Hardy Heron.
>>
>> The tutorial has the instruction to
>> edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which I have done)
>> and then
>> navigate to System > Preferences > Sessions
>> and click on "Add".
>> Name it something like "Touchpad Syndaemon", the
>> description can be "Disables touchpad while typing",
>> and the all important command you need is "syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K".
>>
>> There is no "System > Preferences > Sessions" in Kubuntu.
>>
>> What does it do and how can I do the same thing in Kubuntu?
>>
>> Larry
>>

> I'm not sure but think you can accomplish this by putting that command
> in a file in your ~/.kde/Autostart/ directory. For example, try
> creating a file name touchpad.sh
>
> nano ~/.kde/Autostart/touchpad.sh
>
> And put the lines in it:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/bin/syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K
>
> Then make it executable:
>
> chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/touchpad.sh
>
> Then logout and back in to have it start.
>
> hth

Thanks to Paul S. and Perikli for solving the Dell wandering keyboard
problem for me.

Larry

Old 07-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Alexander Smirnov

Larry Alkoff пишет:
> There is an excellent tutorial at
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683 by reassuringlyoffensive
> showing how to fix a wandering touchpad on a Dell that uses Ubuntu.
>
> Unfortunately I use Kbuntu Hardy Heron.
>
> The tutorial has the instruction to
> edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf (which I have done)
> and then
> navigate to System > Preferences > Sessions
> and click on "Add".
> Name it something like "Touchpad Syndaemon", the
> description can be "Disables touchpad while typing",
> and the all important command you need is "syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K".
>
> There is no "System > Preferences > Sessions" in Kubuntu.
>
> What does it do and how can I do the same thing in Kubuntu?
>
> Larry
i prefer the following script to be executed on Ctrl+Scroll Lock. It
switches touchpad on/off.

#!/bin/bash

current=`synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff | awk 'BEGIN{FS="= "}{print $2}'`

if [ $current -eq 0 ]; then
synclient TouchpadOff=1;
else
synclient TouchpadOff=0;

#EOF

Old 07-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Derek Broughton

Alexander Smirnov wrote:

> #!/bin/bash
>
> current=`synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff | awk 'BEGIN{FS="= "}{print $2}'`
>
> if [ $current -eq 0 ]; then
> synclient TouchpadOff=1;
> else
> synclient TouchpadOff=0;

There _must_ be a way to do that in one line :-)
--
derek

Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Donn

> There _must_ be a way to do that in one line :-)
If you think of the newlines as
then it *is* all one line