Old 07-04-2008, 08:46 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

Default lost and found problem

Hi to everybody,
I'm a new kubuntu user (and linux also) and i have already a problem :-(

I had installed OpenSuse 11 before i decide to change on Kubuntu, and also i had a /home partition for my files...

When i installed kubuntu i left every thing the same...

The swap, the root and of course home...but now in the storage media i find my home ...and every time that i try to open it, i need my root password, plus i cant delete a file named lost + found (that opensuse created) - i don't have the permissions!

So what can i do? I don't want to write my pass every time that i want to lessen to a song... :-)

Thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 08:54 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Perikli Thanasi wrote:
> Hi to everybody,
> I'm a new kubuntu user (and linux also) and i have already a problem :-(
>
> I had installed OpenSuse 11 before i decide to change on Kubuntu, and also i
> had a /home partition for my files...
> When i installed kubuntu i left every thing the same...
>
> The swap, the root and of course home...but now in the storage media i find
> my home ...and every time that i try to open it, i need my root password,
> plus i cant delete a file named lost + found (that opensuse created) - i
> don't have the permissions!
>
> So what can i do? I don't want to write my pass every time that i want to
> lessen to a song... :-)
>

> Thanks

change the permissions of the directories you are having trouble with.
sudo chown your_user_name the_directory

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 07-04-2008, 09:12 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

Thanks...it worked. :-)

Perikli

Old 07-04-2008, 09:44 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

change the permissions of the directories you are having trouble with.

sudo chown your_user_name the_directory
Hi...i did it...and in the begging it look ok...it was possible to delete the file ( i mean lost+found) but after restart it was there...(this time with all permissions)...Also i check on the permission -of the dik -(right click) the auto mount but nothing happens...I mean i need to write the pass again...my real problem is this...Cant i rich the disk without the pass every time that i restart?

Thanks

Old 07-04-2008, 10:41 PM
"Willy K. Hamra"

Perikli Thanasi wrote:
>> change the permissions of the directories you are having trouble with.
>> sudo chown your_user_name the_directory
>

> Hi...i did it...and in the begging it look ok...it was possible to delete
> the file ( i mean lost+found) but after restart it was there...(this time
> with all permissions)...Also i check on the permission -of the dik -(right
> click) the auto mount but nothing happens...I mean i need to write the pass
> again...my real problem is this...Cant i rich the disk without the pass
> every time that i restart?
>
> Thanks

lost+found is a special directory, the system automatically changes it's
owner to the user "root", after creating it, but it's only this
directory, are you having this problem with other directories? in that
case it would be a problem, otherwise, it is perfectly normal for
"lost+found" to be inaccessible.
hope this clears it up for you

Old 07-05-2008, 09:14 AM
"Myriam Schweingruber"

Hi Perikli,

On 04/07/2008, Perikli Thanasi <perikli.thanasi@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had installed OpenSuse 11 before i decide to change on Kubuntu, and also i
> had a /home partition for my files...
> When i installed kubuntu i left every thing the same...

IIRC the numbering for the users is not the same in different
distributions. Ubuntu (and all other Debian-likes) do start the user
numbering at 1000, and I remember my old Madrake (now Mandriva)
started it at 500, so I didn't have permissions to use my old /home.

I worked around it creating a new user, then moved over all my /home
to the new user. Maybe this is your problem, some SuSE user could
probably tell if the numbering is different.

Greets

Myriam

--
Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!
http://www.fsfe.org

Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 AM
"Perikli Thanasi"

I worked around it creating a new user, then moved over all my /home

to the new user. Maybe this is your problem, some SuSE user could

probably tell if the numbering is different.
Yes i think this is the problem...
For now i will let it the same situation...We will see in the future :-)

*

Myriam

Thanks
Perikli

Old 07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
"Perikli Thanasi"

lost+found is a special directory, the system automatically changes it's

owner to the user "root", after creating it, but it's only this

directory, are you having this problem with other directories?
No only this...
*

in that

case it would be a problem, otherwise, it is perfectly normal for

"lost+found" to be inaccessible.
Yes but i have 2 lost and found folders...
1. On root media storage
2. and the second one on* Home (which is in an other partition)
*

hope this clears it up for you
I think that i understood the use...but til can i make that my Home partitition can be used by my programs (example amarok) without the necessity to enter the password every time?

Thanks
Perikli

Old 07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
David Fletcher

All distributions assign a number to each user - if you look under User
Management in the System Settings application, the UID column shows this
number. It can be a problem though, that different distributions have a
different starting number. Kubuntu starts at 1000, but I think Fedora starts
at 500. Suse might also start at 500. This number, not your name, is what
identifies your files as belonging to you, so even if you unpack your own
files into your own new home directory, the system will think that they don't
belong to you unless you correctly set the User ID.

One of my friends, who is a BSD enthusiast, and uses many different computers,
has his own solution to this problem. He always sets his User ID number to a
high value that is unlikely to occur on systems with anything up to a few
hundred users, and always uses the same number, something like 2345. That way
he can use his own files on any system without having to mess about setting
the User ID on them.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to one of the
richest companies in the world for its products, even though perfectly good

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Old 07-05-2008, 01:22 PM
"Perikli Thanasi"

All distributions assign a number to each user - if you look under User

Management in the System Settings application, the UID column shows this

number. It can be a problem though, that different distributions have a

different starting number. Kubuntu starts at 1000, but I think Fedora starts

at 500. Suse might also start at 500. This number, not your name, is what

identifies your files as belonging to you, so even if you unpack your own

files into your own new home directory, the system will think that they don't

belong to you unless you correctly set the User ID.
Thanks..now i understand why i have this problem..is there any way to change something to resolve it? Maybe change my UID number...but how and which one?

Thanks
Perikli